jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How much is the average student loan debt for a BA?

1. nmdonders profile image84
    nmdondersposted 5 years ago

How much is the average student loan debt for a BA?

I've heard student loan debts can accumulate to over 100,000 but be as low as 10,000.  What is the average amount of debt if you attend school for 4 years or obtain your BA?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

The median is said to be around 18,000 dollars. Wow.

3. profile image0
    HowIConqueredposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure but to get an accurate average you will need to break down where the BA will be received from. You may also have to narrow it down to the major since some majors require you to spend more money on books and supplies than others. Location can be a factor as well but I would advise that you take into consideration that the average cost of a BA from a private university/college may vary from the average cost of a BA from a public university/college. I received a BFA from a private college that amounted to over 100,000 (includes attending school for four years and a half years, living on campus and all the built in/hidden costs of doing so, books, supplies, equipment, etc). If you are looking to receive a BA for as cheap as possible (not including scholarships/grants) I advise you to attend a public university/college, live at home or in a cheap apartment, and choose a major that doesn't require you to purchase your own equipment/supplies (besides pens,paper and computer) to get the work done.

4. profile image74
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

According to this article in Huffington Post around $21,000 - mine is definitely much higher.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/1 … 80469.html

working