This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

If you make a living online, how do you diversify?

1. theluckywriter profile image76
    theluckywriterposted 4 years ago

If you make a living online, how do you diversify?

Everyone always talks about the importance of diversification. How do you do it?

2. WryLilt profile image90
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

Never keep all your eggs in one basket:

-Traffic should come from multiple places. Search engines, Pinterest, Facebook, Twiter, backlinks, guest posts etc.
    -Content should be on different topics. Have multiple websites or accounts, with different types of content for different demographics.
    -Monetisation should vary based on traffic. You can monetise in multiple ways. Multiple affiliate and CPM advertising, your own eBooks, memberships, newsletter subscription lists etc.

theluckywriterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. So far, my eggs are pretty much all in one basket (selling articles on Constant Content). It pays really well, and I don't have to personally worry about traffic, but I know it's dangerous to depend too much on one venue.

3. Greekgeek profile image92
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

It's a slow process.

Here's something that worked for me.

1. Find a site that I'm having fun and some success with. Build up content there. Pay careful attention to which pages, niches and writing styles are working for me, which aren't. Also look at other successful pages on the site, not to copy them, but to get ideas about what approaches tend to work and attract an audience.

2. Build up until I'm reaching payout threshold most months. Then expand onto another site. Or start a blog. Experiment.

3. Slowly expand to other writing platforms, other kinds of content (drawings on Zazzle, e.g., or YouTube videos, or whatever you have a knack for), other niches. These are experiments, testing the waters. If any start to take off, grab the line and reel in by doing more of that.

I like that you start with fun. I enjoy writing, but I really quickly get burnt out on the social media aspect of online writing. Right now, I write and sell a lot of articles, which doesn't require promotion on my part.

4. Skarlet profile image86
    Skarletposted 4 years ago

Join Hubpages, Zujava and WebAnswers. Write Hubs on two or three subjects and then write "Leaves" on Zujava on the same subject. Link the articles together and add capsules from Amazon, ebay and Zazzle. You will earn from all of these avenues over time.
    Then answer as many questions as you can on WebAnswers. This site will quickly build up your AdSense earnings.

After you have all three of these going, create about 3-5 blogs on subjects that you know very well. When you write articles on your blogs you can link them to your hubs. This way if you have caught the attention of someone who is reading your blog, but they are not going to click on anything, they will at least read your hub and you will earn from that. You can also place adds and products on your blog. The best way of having a high earning blog is to write an ebook that you can promote.

I know that - eventually - I'm going to start a niche blog. But Webanswers, Zujava, Hubpages...I'm not sure that I could handle writing in so many places.

5. Paul Corvan profile image76
    Paul Corvanposted 4 years ago

I work as a freelance writer..I diversify my monthly income revenues by working for various content writing mills that pay upfront for each article that I submit--the pay can be as low as $2 to as high as $20 - $50 per article depending on the kind of project. At the same time, I also work with private clients who contact me directly to write articles for them.

I also write articles. I only write for one place, though - Constant Content. Have you ever written for them? In my opinion, they are - by far - the best-paying and most professional content site.

2. Paul Corvan profile image76
      Paul Corvanposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hello, luckywriter. Yeah, I also write for CC. What I liked about them is that you get to price your articles. I have sold several articles I had easily written in an hour or less for $40 or more. What I don't like about them is their editing process

3. theluckywriter profile image76

I know that a lot of people complain about CC's editing process. But I figure that if it weren't for their (sometimes ridiculously) high standards, then there's no way we'd be able to price an article for $40!

6. las81071 profile image71
    las81071posted 4 years ago

I am still trying to figure that out. I have not made really much of anything a few bucks here and there but I did some freebie trading and you could make money there but you have to spend a money also and it is quite time consuming. It could be fun if you like trying new products but you have to be very organized and have to take time to return items but you could make 50 bucks or so in a day if you work it correctly.

Interesting idea! Thanks! I guess part of the issue is time in vs money out. My long-term goal is 150 dollars per day. So far I'm doing well with content writing, but I want to add to my passive income.

working