Are taxes necessary evil?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 4 years ago

Are taxes necessary evil?

Taxes are needed to provide for services.

2. Laura Schneider profile image91
    Laura Schneiderposted 4 years ago

Yes, in every first world nation, I think that taxes are a necessary evil. They pay for the infrastructure of our society (roads, government, law management and enforcement, and so on) and help those that no one else can help (orphans, the elderly, people without family to support them or means/ability to support themselves). Think about how many people would want to donate money to these purposes--to resurface a road, for example--if it weren't mandated by the tax collection system. Granted, I'm NOT saying that the US is making the most of its tax dollars--spending it all wisely--or that the tax collection system doesn't need revising and reconsidering in the methods and amounts and from whom it is collecting taxes, I'm simply saying that I think taxes are a "necessary" fact of life in a first world or even a second-world country.

3. LandmarkWealth profile image79
    LandmarkWealthposted 4 years ago

It would be impossible to have a functioning governing body without some level of taxation.  The question is what should be taxed...Income, consumption, assets etc.  That is a complex answer.   And additionally what should taxes be used to fund.  That dictates the level of where taxation should be.  Many, including myself believe the gov't should not be using tax revenue for the purpose of social engineering, while others disagree.

working