jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Ways to be self sufficient in an apartment?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

Ways to be self sufficient in an apartment?

Our family is starting over. We are use to land and know how to be more self reliant when we had land, but we are now in an apartment. I would love some tips to at least being a little self sufficient.

2. liesl5858 profile image87
    liesl5858posted 3 years ago

I suppose you mean producing your own vegetables or doing crafts. In an apartment, there is limited space where you can grow vegetables or even flowers but this won't stop you from doing this as long as you got some space on the balcony or corridors. Container gardening can be done on flats or apartments as long as it is allowed. But I think the best thing to do is doing some crafts and selling them on Ebay or Gumtree. If you are good at doing crafts like bracelets, headbands (crocheted or knitted) or painting things. Just a few suggestions. I wish you well.

peeplesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the answer! Painting old things and making them look new has always been a hobby. Maybe I could figure a way to make it profitable.

3. MizBejabbers profile image89
    MizBejabbersposted 3 years ago

I was about to give you similar suggestions, but liesl5858 has already said it well. Although we don't live in an apartment, we face many of your obstacles because we live on a steep hillside and our only yard is on our roof (of our underground house). Any gardening we do is in containers. I have turned my jewelry-making hobby into making money. Although I don't have the time to work ebay or etsy, I sell locally and am building up a solid customer base. You might be surprised at how much profit there is in throwing together a few beads and findings, especially earrings and bracelets. My customers like the fact that theirs is handmade and sometimes one-of-a-kind. I find I can sell more if I keep my pieces under $20 and stay away from the higher-priced gemstones and metals. Of course, you can always sell Avon. My mom did and had a thriving little business.

peeplesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I've been giving the jewelry making idea some thought because I'm having a hard time finding toddler sized bracelets. Thanks for the input!

4. B. Leekley profile image89
    B. Leekleyposted 3 years ago

My wife and I live in a one-bedroom apartment. We have 3 cats, so it is hard to grow anything indoors. My wife, with me glad to help, is trying container gardening. With the landlady's pleased consent, she has placed several large flowerpots outside, planted with a variety of vegetables and has cleared trash and weeds from near the garbage dumpster, made a compost bin out of pallets, and made a pie pumpkin bed out of a partially buried pallet. If you don't have cats, you also could plant vegetables in a windowsill planter.

Indoors, consider growing sprouts and herbs, such as basil. I've read that another possibility is mushrooms. Grow aloe vera for burns.

Ask around if your neighborhood has a community garden.

For lots more ideas pertaining to your question, ask Google, YouTube, and Pinterest.

Also, Google on:
    guinea pig Ecuador
    if you're not vegetarian or vegan.

Google on:
    solar cooking
    for one way to save on cooking fuel costs.

If you live where there are lakes or rivers, get a fishing license.