jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Is government help like Welfare etc crippling to those who are on them?

1. SilentMagenta profile image71
    SilentMagentaposted 3 years ago

Is government help like Welfare etc crippling to those who are on them?

Obstacles create soldiers. We know that if we hit rock bottom there are programs that we can be on til we get up. What if these programs didn't exist? Would we work harder? Would we fail? Would the death toll go up? Would the crime rate go up?

2. NiaLee profile image62
    NiaLeeposted 3 years ago

I do believe it is. Different programs, different states, different people, different workers too. I once had to leave my home. My plan was to go to a shelter, get a job, save money, look for an apartment and move in my own quiet place.
    Mind, I am educated, well mannered, easy on the eye, hard working, trained in different fields and speak many languages.
    The first days in the place were OK, then, I started being left out of meetings, job search, apartment search, even for individual meetings.
    I started asking questions. The "case workers" didn't appreciate.
    I ended up realizing they needed me to stay longer, so, they dragged me on every issue ($3,000 a month for 2 rooms!), they made me feel bad so I wouldn't demand too much during meetings, they made fake promises, they even stole items from my rooms, depressed and just stay there. The average stay was 2 years in this place and they didn't understand why I wanted to leave so fast.
    I understand a lot of people need time to adjust to being independent, organize themselves, save enough money, etc... I needed to see a therapist to release a lot of pain and anxiety and have my own. That didn't fit their plan, they tried to hold me back, they locked my food stamp...until now, years later, I live without any help from the government.They MESSED MY CASE because I would stay in a shelter and get everything from the government!
    I realized they wanted to become necessary to me and my kids, we would be slaves of the system, subject to mediocrity.
    Welfare can help on a short term to rehabilitate, change, move on, beyond it becomes addiction.
    I have people I love handicapped by this system, I have tried so many things and times to help toward independence. I am still working on it. Though, those minimum wages often don't match, having a schedule, professional interaction, managing your money is important. The issue of disregard of the value of work as something that makes you able, strong, efficient, valuable...for yourself first.
    I apologize to anybody who feels offended but this is a cancer that kills the world, reducing able bodied humans to slavery and leaving them so idle that they fall into crime, addictions, irresponsible births, etc...

1. SilentMagenta profile image71
      SilentMagentaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anyone should be offend. I was raised on the system all my life. My mom must have raised me right because I am starting to see the wrong in the actions the system is taking. I am still on the system waiting to get my degree to get of it

3. deecoleworld profile image81
    deecoleworldposted 3 years ago

It depends!!!! It can either go three ways 1. what you said about obstacles create soldiers, makes them work harder  2. it makes them lazy, dependent, and entitled 3. a combo of both

It really depends on the person, their background, their values and the reason why they are on welfare. I feel a lot of the times the people that welfare can work against the person that's on them. Their is a stigma against people on welfare as lazy, dishonest, vermin, mooches of society. When a stigma is put on someone they have two options: to work against this stigma or to support it.
    I feel once you are down, its hard to get up and the easier thing is just to stay down. Its not healthy or right. Their is some truth to the stigma and stereotypes of people on welfare. And in reality no one is going to help you but you. Help can only go so far, its up to you to this as a temporary opportunity to get yourself up and the importance of being independent.
    I do think welfare is necessary and important but it should be a more temporary thing. I feel the government should be stricter on who gets welfare and the terms on it.
    If I can ask why are you asking this questions? Interested in hearing your viewpoint!!!

4. Alphadogg16 profile image90
    Alphadogg16posted 3 years ago

It will all depend on each individual and their mentality. Some people actually use the programs as they are intended and then their are some people that are just lazy and abuse it. Death toll, crime rate, working harder etc could all happen simultaneously or not at all.

5. Naveed Ahmed 624 profile image85
    Naveed Ahmed 624posted 3 years ago

Its a debatable issue in economics. Although I do not remember the exact comments of the supporters and non-supporters, I can say that regular government aid that takes the form of a cultural existing makes people more lazy. They are less hard-working and the competition of productivity is reduced in the economy, because lazy people often love to sit-back and enjoy the free lunch (although even a free lunch is not a free lunch, it is paid by somebody else we may not notice, e.g. the government again).

People who have a greater risk of losing all income streams if they go jobless can be more hardworking and sincere to their jobs, profession or passions. Therefor the government welfare schemes do have a certain role in streamlining the behavior of the labor force (blue collar or white collar) in an economy.

We therefore cannot adopt any one of the two approaches, rather we have to go the mid-way. Some social support must always be given by the government to reduce or compensate the amount of risk due to uncertainty that is always there. Therefore we can say that the government can make a policy to support the jobless only upto a certain period, say six months after the loss of their jobs. After the passage of which, the person should be self-responsible to arrange for the sources of income.

working