Need some help on my site!!

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. caninecrtitics profile image60
    caninecrtiticsposted 11 years ago

I just want to know what I could change about my website. Please be picky I want to change things to maybe see a better result from it.  It's been going for about 3 years now and views are staying steady but I want it to be more user friendly to maybe jump up amazon sales. Please help.
    <link snipped>

1. MayG profile image77
      MayGposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just had a quick look at your website, I thought it looked great, but I hope this wasn't just a ploy to promote it through the forum, because I don't have a dog anyway.  Anyway, my suggestion would be to check that your spelling is always spot-on, because nothing screams unprofessional like errors on your site.  At a quick glance I noticed that on your 'about us' page, you wrote we take 'products home to are dogs'... it should be 'our' dogs, not 'are'.  Also, through not thru, but I'm sure you know that.  Good luck with it.

2. jacharless profile image75
      jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

First, the gray on gray is a bit depressing.
      Second, page/visitor count is really unnecessary, as well as the google stripe just below the menu.
      The menu itself could be a little smaller, imo as should the page parameters {960px max}, yours is 1280px {which is good for iPad but not smaller monitors}

The three column is nice.
      I would move the Amazon to the right, as a 300x250 widget, versus the 160x400 carousel and make the page background white, adding borders/effects to the image thumbnails.

Also, organize the posts, photos and products. This helps visitors navigate easier and stay longer.

Last, the popular & recent posts are doubled on the page as a footer and there's this massive tags/links block right in the middle. Crickets! That's gotta go.
      Dump this and replace it with a sitemap, main menu as links, social media,  connectivity, faq, shopping -if to amazon store and accolades, etc.

All in all, this should be done by a web developer, like myself. But it you want to give it ago, and stay on blogger, this is where I recommend you start.

PS, cools items for canines.
      James.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agree.  I watched a video from Google recently about not using tag clouds at all,because they're just a mass of links repeated on every page, and Google doesn't like that.

2. tamron profile image66
    tamronposted 11 years ago

Your site is great!  Your site has great loading time.  Friendly on the eyes.  Easy to navigate.  I wouldn't change a thing just check your spelling.
    How old is your site?

It took my blog a year before it was fully index.  My other blog took 6 mnths.  Just keep your blog updated with new content.

3. profile image0
    paxwillposted 11 years ago

It looks nice, but the gray background is just a little too dark for me.  If you lighten it a little, the black text will stand out better, which will be easier on the eyes for older readers.  More contrast between the background and text is also better for mobile users.  Just a thought.

4. caninecrtitics profile image60

Thank you for the replies. I'm going to lighten the background thanks for the advice. the site i think is almost 3 years old it does well indexing I just want that next step and to have a better sale rate thru amazon.

5. caninecrtitics profile image60

Nope I want trying to drive traffic thru hubpages because it wouldnt result in sales I know that. I was just seeking some help.  And I want to thank everyone

6. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 11 years ago

I also noticed a 'were' where it should have been a 'where', but the site looks good. You should concentrate on advertising if you want to take it to the next level. Try Google's Free $75 to start an Adwords ad campaign, that's cheap to find out if it works, or not.

Do you ever have guest writers? I'm a doggie kind of person. In fact I just did a hub on making dog treats.

But as far as design, set up, etc. after the suggestions it looks good. Don't be like Facebook and fix things that aren't broken. smile

7. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 11 years ago

It would be better to reduce the size of your header by 75%.  This would allow more text "above the fold", which will engage the visitor quickly and improve your Google rankings.

Also, you have too many links on your homepage – about 200.  Group your content into logical categories and use menu tabs.  The 100+ links you have at the bottom of your homepage (and other pages) is not user-friendly and could be considered as spam by Google.

Lose the "Customer Reviews' – you don't have any and it gives the impression that your site does not have an audience.

Your outbound links under "Latest Dog News" are a good addition to your site, but  each link should open in a separate window so you don't lose the visitors on your site.

You have a good idea with this site and I wish you the best!

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is a good point, I think.  I often wonder whether I should just disable comments on some of my blogs?  Some topics just don't seem to attract comments, ever, which makes it look like I have no visitors (which isn't the case)!

8. caninecrtitics profile image60

Thanks everyone I have taken everyone's recommendations and tried them and have relaunched the site with some of the changes I want to tank everyone again your all so very helpful

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)