Romney Says, "Obama's Plan Failed!"; He Forgot to Say, "BECAUSE THE CONSERVATIVE PLAN SUCCEEDED!" [153*33]
WHAT WAS THE CONSERVATIVE'S PLAN?
WHY, TO FOLLOW MINORITY LEADER MITCH MCCONNELL'S DIRECTIVE TO MAKE PRESIDENT OBAMA A ONE-TERM PRESIDENT, OF COURSE. And, with that, the conservatives did just that. They delivered almost four years of the most obstructionist legislation in modern Congressional history in order to make good on Senator McConnell's promise to conservative America.
Now, if you are to believe the presumptive Republican presidential candidate, Mitt Romney, President Obama has failed miserably at everything he has attempted to do as President, especially the economy. If you don't believe him, just look at all of the statistics he puts forward many times a day.
Let me digress a moment and talk about logic:
- Assume 'A' is going to do something and
- 'B' is going to try to stop 'A' from doing it.
- Assume further that, if it weren't for 'B's attempts, 'A' would be successful (both the vast majority of 'A's and 'B's economists say he would have been).
- CASE 1 - 'A' succeeds: logic says that 'B' failed in the attempt to stop 'A'
- CASE 2 - 'A' fails: logic says the failure is due to 'B's success in stopping 'A'.
By your comments and poll, who disagrees with the above logic and why?
OK, back on point. assuming my logic is correct, then what Mitt Romney is actually saying is that President Obama has failed to revive the economy because the Conservatives were successful in their bid to stop him from doing so.
So let us apply my logic to the actual rhetoric used.
- In early 2009, on MSNBC, in an interview with Matt Lauer, President Obama (A) said, " "If I don't have this [fixing the economy] done in three years, then this is going to be a one-term proposition."
- In Oct 2010, before the mid-term elections, and again on Dec 7, 2010, after the mid-term elections, Senator Mitch McConnell (B) said words to the effect of, "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."
- What is the implication here? How is McConnell and the conservatives going to do this? By implication (logic) the only way possible is to attempt to stop President Obama from achieving his goal of "fixing the economy"
- Mitt Romney obviously things the conservatives were good at the word.
- If you are one who thinks President Obama has failed, then don't you agree, it must be because the conservatives were successful in achieving their goal at preventing Obama from being a successful president?
Therefore the hidden Implication from Application of Logic to Mitt Romney's Statement: Conservatives, not President Obama, are responsible for the economy from not growing at a sustainable rate. To put it another way: Logic says that, Absent the conservatives (B) effort to stop it (A) from happening, the economy would be booming right now, don't you see.
Well, you say, the Democrats had total control the first two year, and you would be correct. And it was because they had that control was Obama able to do anything at all! In this case, pass the Stimulus bill which stopped a runaway recession from turning into a depression and, at the same time, stopped the stock market crash in its tracks; it turned around within two-weeks of the implementation of the stimulus. The problem was, the stimulus wasn't enough and by the time that became known, it was too late for Obama and the Democrats to force anything through. The conservatives had effectively shut Congress down for the duration.
[Author's Disclaimer: I personally don't think President Obama's plan failed, so I fall into Case #1 of my logic trees above.]
POLL ON MY LOGIC
Did my presentation on Logic make sense to you?
WERE THE CONSERVATIVES SUCCESSFUL?
Do you think the Conservatives have been successful in stopping President Obama from doing a better job at improving the economy?
DEMOGRAPHIC POLL #1
Do you consider yourself more closely aligned with -
DEMOGRAPHIC POLL #2
Are you -
- Are You A Social Dominator? Take the Test and Find O...
Social Dominance Orientation and Right-wing Autoritarian personalities need to be understood if you are going to understand today's Conservative movement. There are quizes that have been developed by psychologists to determine how strongly individual
- An Analysis of the Right-Wing Authoritarian Follower...
Are you a Right-wing Authoritarian (RWA) follower? I have talked about this personality characteristic vis-a-vis our political arena in several of the articles I have written because I believe it plays such a major role in today's political debate. T
- A Look at What the 112th Congress U.S. House of Repr...
The Conservatives, and especially the Tea Party, have controlled the House now for nine months; they have made a lot of noise, but, have done any real work. This hub started out from comments made regarding President Obama's accomplishments, which mi
- Tax Cuts Spur GDP Growth? Oh Really! Let's Just Take...
The Conservatives say tax cuts ALWAYS spur growth but the REAL answer is IT DEPENDS on the situation. This hub looks at when tax cuts work and when they don't.
- Anybody Remember the Reagan Recession of 1981??
- Alan Greenspan- Was He Blind or Stubborn: 200 Years ...
There has been a lot of argument regarding what were the causes of the Great Bush Recession of 2008 and whether it could have been prevented. This hub looks at one aspect of it, whether Alan Greenspan, Chairman of the Federal Reserve, could have done
- A Short History of American Panics, Recessions, Depr...
This is Part II of my A Short History of American Panics, Recessions, Depressions: Why Conservative Economics Can't Work hub. Part I finally got too long.
- A Short History of American Panics, Recessions, Depr...
The debate as to whether Conservative or Progressive economic theory was better for the country. The best way to measure that, I think, is to look at the history of Panics, Recessions, and Depressions in America since its foundings and compare that w
- Unbelievablely Stupid Political Ads: Do You Buy Into...
Political ads disguised as questions can be very powerful tools because they automatically plant an idea in your brain before you have time to consider its ramifications. It is form of
- Sorry Conservatives, Why Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac ...
While Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are not blameless in contributing to the 2008 financial crisis and ultimate Great Conservative Recession, they are not even close to being one of the causes of it, as the Conservatives would have you believe, not even
- Accounting 101 for Conservatives and Others with a H...
Conservatives have been hitting the airwaves and Hubpages putting out hyperbolic and totally false statements regarding the national debt and deficit. Accounting is an arcane, hard to understand field and it is very easy to misuse accounting data to
- I Though Mitt Romney Understood Taxes and Mathematic...
One of Mitt Romney's stump speech themes is the devestation the 5% rise in marginal tax rates on millionairs that Obama is proposing will have on job growth. Of course it is pure bunk, but after hearing again on the radio, a new way to say why occure
- Comparing 12 Quarters Of President Obama With His Pr...
President Obama now has 13 quarters of office under his belt and the rhetoric on how he has done is abysmal, if you listen to the conservatives. What is the true story. well, let's see.