Things COULD Happen!

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (49 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

If Mitt Romney wins the presidency, what would the affects be on the economy and society in general?   Furthermore, how would YOU feel about a Romney win?

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would be estatic about a Romney win.

Assuming he is able to do what he wants, we would see

An immediate, sharp increase to GDP, around 5-8% growth for the first 1-3(maybe) years, from the change to a territorial tax system.

Lowered unemployment and increased investment in the American economy with reduced corporate tax rates.

An enacted solution to the SS shortfall, though a gradual increase in the retirement age and a slight redistribution of wealth from the wealthy to poor in the SS program(Not that I'm estatic about it, but it's a solution).

Competition in healthcare by allowing states to make their own decisions, and companies to compete across state-lines = decrease in healthcare costs(actually a decrease in the rate at which costs rise).

Just some of the things I'm looking forward to.

1. profile image0
        screamingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Assuming he is able to do what he wants? Like the night of President Obama's inaugaration, the Republicans meeting to ensure blocks on all his policies? Reduced corporate tax rates? Yeah, more President Bush and it didn't work then! A solution to SS? By giving seniors vouchers and when the voucher runs out of funds they have to somehow make up the difference? Competition in healthcare? President Bush claimed the same thing, did it happen? I was fooled ONCE and did vote for President Bush for all your reasons. I WON"T be fooled twice. Romney will put us into another recession or should I say the "New Great Depression?"

1. profile image0

Bush didn't lower the corporate tax rate... ugh... You criticize what you don't understand. The US has the highest tax rate in the world. Do you expect us to be competitive like that?

Lets say you went to the store and there were two shirts, identical. One cost $10 and one cost $50. Which would you buy?

Do you know what SS is? Social Security. There are no SS vouchers, no difference to make up. Again, you don't even know what you are trying to criticize.

Bush didn't give more competition in healthcare. He didn't open up states to compete with each other.

You very clearly don't even know what Romney's proposals are, and yet you criticize them.

Please, go educate yourself on what he is proposing. He isn't Bush pt. 2

1. profile image0

Bush lowered taxes on the wealthy on the premise they would invest and create jobs. Didn't happen! Bush had a bill, he could have signed to allow small businesses to group together to get lower insurance rates. Didn't happen. Romney is promoting the same. Romney is proposing a voucher system for SS. Again, selective response. No defense for key Republicans meeting the night of the inaugaration to make Obama a one time President? Do you not remember those Bush promises? Go educate yourself because Romney is indeed Part 2..

1. profile image0

Again, Bush didn't lower corporate tax rates. We are the highest in the world.

Romney is not proposing a voucher system for SS. Please answer these questions:

1 - What is SS?
              2 - What are these supposed 'vouchers', and how would they work?
              3 - Link please?

Romney isn't most Republicans either. He is very moderate, and goes against the GOP platform on many issues.

Why am I even arguing with you? You think Romney is turning Social Security into a 'voucher' system?!?!?!? That's definitely the top of the list today for ridiculousness.

1. profile image0

Romney has stated his and Ryans plan are basically the same? How about you define basically? No one knows for sure what the end result will be, but to think the Insurance Companies (one of the largest lobbyists) will work to save you money? I'm doubting that! http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/editori … ng/1248684

1. profile image0

Why don't you answer my questions?

1. profile image0

Let me answer your way with a question. What is Romneys Social Security plan? Please back up with links. What is your definition of SS? Will Romneys plan change SS benefits for people over 55 in any way, shape or form? Lastly, why am I arguing with you? You think President Obama is out to destroy all Americans (or should I say, that's the impression you're giving me!yikes) And lastly your arguments are definately at the top of the list today for ridiculousness!

2. habee profile image93
          habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Reduced corporate tax rates?? Now I'm really confused. I don't remember Bush reducing corportate tax rates, but since you seem to think that's a bad thing, why are you supporting Obama when he wants to do it? He wants to lower CTR to 25%, according to HuffPo:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/2 … 96502.html

2. Mmargie1966 profile image85
        Mmargie1966posted 11 years agoin reply to this

AWESOME!!

3. GNelson profile image60
        GNelsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Talk won't do it!!  He has no plan except to reinstate the Bush policies which got us here!!

1. profile image0

Really?

Did Bush cut corporate tax rates, or did he leave tax rates at the highest in the world?
          Did Bush change to a territorial tax system, or leave in place a system that penalizes multinational companies for investing in American?
          Did Bush fix the Social Security shortfall?

I'm sure you would have a difficult time explaining Bush's policies, and Romney's, and showing why they are so similar.

Romney has a plan, and he has a record as Governor, and a record as a businessman. It's not just talk.

1. GNelson profile image60
            GNelsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Romney's record as government includes an affordable care act, which he is now against, and his record as a business man includes a lot of layoffs, which he still supports.

1. profile image0

You didn't answer my questions.

Romney vetoed 8 provisions of the healthcare act as governor. His vetoes were all overturned. Romney constantly put up a face of unanimity, because he was working with a veto-proof legislation on the other side of the aisle.

As for his business record, yes he supported layoffs. Is it better to layoff some workers so the business can survive, or layoff everyone when the business goes under?

2. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

As for a Romney election, Not good, the fox will be given the execuitve key to the chicken coop

3. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you will see a short spike in the economy because the military and big business will operate under the old assumptions that it will now be business as usual. The debt ceiling debate will be looming over Romney just as much as it was over Obama and it will not get decided until they figure out who gets paid how much. But the deficeit will not even slow down let alone go away. We have seen under all the administrations so much money going into overseas investments and offshore accounts because the floodgate will be re-opened and the old guard will support it. Maybe another eight years of selling out the country with Romney may make people get to the bottom they need to wake up and smell the coffee but unfortunately it probably will be too late.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

He will sell off the rest of what is left of America to the highest bidder maybe some Saudi Sheik, because money is next to Godliness.

1. profile image0

Yeah, cause we all know money is all Romney cares about...

3. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago
  4. tussin profile image58
    tussinposted 11 years ago

Every four years it's Kang vs Kodos.  In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter who wins since both would basically do and fail to do the same things upon getting elected.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d3/THOH_Kang_and_Kodos.png

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I didn't know about Romney wanting to turn SS into a voucher system. Please provide a credible source!

1. profile image0

Medicare into a voucher system. Typo....

6. Don Simkovich profile image60
    Don Simkovichposted 11 years ago

I think the immediate effect will be that his policies will be more clear for businesses. Doesn't mean the deficit is going to drop much anytime soon. Companies may be willing to invest rather than hold on with uncertainty the way that has happened in the past few years.

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think so, too, Don. Good to see you!

1. profile image0

Habee, I love your open attitude about both sides!

7. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

"Assuming he will be able to do what he wants..."
    lol lol lol
    Given that:
    1.  Romney has had to sell his soul to Koch Co. to garner the GOP nomination,
    2. He has had to swing far, far right in selecting Ryan as his running mate,
    3. the Republican Party has already shown there are no compromises. Period.
    -- what makes anyone think that Romney, no matter how his stated plan on his website may differ from Ryan Co. and the rest of the Teapublicans, will do anything other than their bidding?
    They frigging OWN HIM.

1. profile image0

How do they own him?

His plan is moderate, his record is moderate... why do you think he would change?

Because he's pandering to the right? Of course he is, he would stand no chance getting elected without enthusiastic support from the right. He can't do what he wants if he doesn't get elected. He said his dad played the game too cleanly, and he learned his lesson from that.

1. Petra Vlah profile image61
        Petra Vlahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He learned his "lesson" too well. How many times (so far) did he change his positions in every issue?
        What make you think Romney will not change his views yet again to please the ones he needs to win. Did you hear Reed's speech at the convention? What's moderate about that?

1. profile image0

He hasn't changed many positions at all. Most of the 'flip flops' he has made(according to some) weren't flips, or flops.

His plan is moderate. His record is moderate. I assume he is moderate.

He doesn't even bring himself to say the things that would really fire up the far right. Instead he picked Ryan, which is brilliant because it gets their support, even if he doesn't plan on doing what they want him to do. It's not the VP who makes the decisions.

2. xstatic profile image60
          xstaticposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Look at the debate with Ted Kennedy when Romney ran against him. He was in favor of abortion (read his own words) and if that is not a flip, it is certainly a flop compared to what he says today to cozy up to the  far right wing of the GOP.

8. Nan Mynatt profile image60
    Nan Mynattposted 11 years ago

Other countries have a higher tax rate, some as high as 50% because of their health care provisions.  In Hungary you can take off for 3 years to raise a newborn. One of my professors was from Hungary, and we thought that this was outrageous.  You have to pay for all of the services that the government provides. Our government has to get money from the people to pay for its services.  They may raise corporate tax or for the citizens of our countries.  Or, they may cut the services to the people, and let them take care of themselves. The question is do we need all of the services that we have in the US?

There has to be a reduction in the government if we don't want to pay for the service. We need to think about our education to children, social security, medicare, and right now some of the states are in poor condition and can't afford to provide our current programs.

9. quatrain profile image57
    quatrainposted 11 years ago

The US would be better off with Romney as President. Obama's fiscal mismanagement, lack of even a basic budget and propensity to just make up laws as he goes along (by choosing which ones he will enforce) should scare any one who believes in Democracy and capitalism.

God help us if Obama is elected. Without the constraint of facing the voters again, we should fear what his whispered "flexibility" with Russia truly means.

But back to Romney. He is a man who has demonstrated to all but the blind that he understands how to create successful companies, create jobs, and achieve a balanced budget.  Romney for President? We need it as early as yesterday.

10. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 11 years ago

One thing we can be certain of...this nation cannot survive four more years of what Obama has exposed it to in his first term.  There is no determined effort to establish an operating budget, no effort at achieving compromise on the part of a so-called "leader" who rose from the ranks of Congress.  There is no significant effort to reduce spending when one can easily calculate that spending has risen over 140% in the past four years versus only a 43% increase in the revenue stream...spending is indeed the problems.  NASA is all but gone.  The military is being disassembled little by little on the basis of freeing up revenue to be spent in other sectors and reasoning that technology can replace boots on the ground....a total lie.  The EPA is poised to invade every aspect of our lives and Obamacare will take far more from us than it will ever provide through our dying days.  In the process, that will also include a chunk of the sale when our homes are sold...a built-in inheritance tax if you will.  This election is not really about the capability of Mitt Romney as much as it is about the resurgence of conservative values, common sense, and all things in moderation.  We cannot survive as a nation when 2 and 2 no longer equals 4. Worse case scenario, Romney can continue in the same direction as Obama....the worst possible thing he could do to the nation, the worst.  Anything less than that direction will be an improvement, plain and simple. ~WB

1. profile image0

It's true Wayne...

We have to get spending under control, quickly.

Within 5 years, maybe 10, interest rates will be going up. When that happens, we will start paying our debt at higher interest rates as we have to re-issue debt to pay existing debt calls.

We can't afford to triple or quadruple the % of the budget that we pay into interest... if we do we'll probably be at the point where we'll never be able to overcome it, and it will eventually lead to hyperinflation or defaulting the dollar.

It's such an incredibly serious scenario... if people really understood how bad the situation was and how quickly we could end up with a worthless currency, the phones and email inboxes of every congressman and representative would break from the outrage.

11. taburkett profile image59
    taburkettposted 11 years ago

When Romney and Ryan take office in January of 2013, the recovery and reconciliation will begin and
    all hard working individuals will know that the nation is moving toward recovery.

there will be no blame games and no class-warfare except for the few jealous radicals clinging to the gimme agendas.

before the end of the first month, our allies will know we stand by them, a balanced budget will be generated, and a path to debt recovery will be solidified.

at the 2 month point the nation will be united by truth and positive action and the world will know the USA is on a solid path to restoration.

at the 6 month point the nation will be in full steam ahead as the jobs will have grown through U.S. fuel drilling and production flowing proudly.

at the 9 month point, the international market will be adjusted in favor of American made goods.

at the 12 month point, the world will know the USA is stronger than it was before the recession.

by the 2 year point, the smart individuals will recover all their financial losses that occurred during the 2006 to 2012 period.

1. profile image0

If he's elected, by the end of the first month, we'll probably be in another war. The world will look at Romney and worry all over again, same plan, same results! By the 2nd month the nation will realize the mistake those made voting for Romney and Ryan. By 6 months dergulation and out sourcing will start the plummet downhill spiral. At 9 months we will have no goods made in this country to sell. By the 12th month the recession will begin all over again. By the 2 year point financial losses will be felt across this great country and possible civil war.

1. profile image0

You don't even know what Romney's plans are, but you are so sure they would lead to civil war within 2 years?

12. Wayne Brown profile image80

I'll just second taburkett's comment.

13. xstatic profile image60
    xstaticposted 11 years ago

It is not going to happen, but I would probablu throw up for days. BTW is it RomneyRyan or Ryan/Romney today?

14. profile image0
    SassySue1963posted 11 years ago

You do realize that debate was in 1994? Don't know about you, but there are quite a few things I've changed my mind about in the last 18 years. I'd be more worried if he held all the same opinions as he did 18 years ago. Imagine someone so egocentric and closed minded that their opinion on issues never wavered in almost two decades.

1. xstatic profile image60
      xstaticposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Simply put, he will say what he needs to say to galvanize the right.

15. Wayne Brown profile image80

No doubt...Mitt still needs to do some layoffs starting in the federal government that has grown by almost 20% under Obama in four years.  That would be a good start on the spending reduction process.  ~WB

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)