Connecticut School Tragedy

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (21 posts)
  1. EsmeSanBona profile image82
    EsmeSanBonaposted 11 years ago

I thought I would create a thread for those who might want to express grief, sorrow, or other emotions regarding the Connecticut tragedy, but who do no want to debate political issues. 

Please allow this thread to be one of support, solidarity, and unity over the loss of the our children who died today.  Please do not engage in political debate or even debate whether today is a day for debate.  Please post only to show that we can at least agree that today is a black day for us all.

1. writinglover profile image76
      writingloverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts and prayers go out to those who were seriously hurt and killed. It's an awful feeling that someone would do such a thing and especially around children. I was rendered speechless when I first heard the news and, even now, I find it a bit difficult expressing myself in the wake of this tragedy. I felt so numb...I may not be a parent (maybe someday, I'll be one) but I find myself wanting to hug a child and telling them that everything will be alright. We'll get through this together. How awful...

EsmeSanBonaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I find myself feeling more upset as the day goes on.  I think that when I first heard the news, I was shocked like you and only now am I beginning to get a a handle on myself and my grief. 

I'm not a parent either, but I love children more than most anything in the world.  I feel the same thing as you.  I just want to go find a child, any child, and do something to help make up for this betrayal.  I feel like that most every day, because so many children the world over are suffering.  But I'm like most humans and things close to home are so much more vivid. 

And then someone posted about the Chinese children being stabbed on the very same day.

I know that horror goes on the world over and children are always victims, but today feels like some war on innocence has been declared.

2. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

I simply cannot imagine what the parents must be feeling now - to have innocence shattered in such an abrubt way is shocking. I have so much anger for those who decide to turn this into a politcal discussion - shame on them - they have lost any respect I had for them.

I know I could not cope had one of my children had been a victim; I hope the parents find the strenght to go on...

I volunteer for Hospice and deal with death quite frequently.  I can make sense of a lot that is senseless, but not the death of children.  I won't even contemplate taking on a dying child: I simply do not have it in me--I can't put my own emotions aside to be of any assistance. 

I cannot imagine losing a child at all, but to lose one to something like this.  I feel certain I would break.

3. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 11 years ago

I found out about this horrible tragedy while teaching my little first graders.  I looked around the room and wondered how I would ever be able to protect these little people if I were ever faced with this type of situation.  We have lock down drills in our school, but no one can fully prepare for an event such as this.  And for the rest of the day, I had to fight back my tears and continue to teach these young people.

I also thought about my own kindergarten daughter, 25 miles away in her classroom, and wondered if her teacher was thinking the same thing as me.  I was happy to find out that in her school, they reminded everyone of never opening the door for anyone.  When I asked her if she would open the door for me if she saw me, she said no Mommy, but I can smile and wave to you.  Although this wouldn't ever stop someone who is mentally ill and determined, it brought a small amount of relief to me.  I know that the adults will do everything that they can to protect her, just as I will for my own students, and just as the teachers and principals tried to do for these young people whose lives were senselessly lost today. 

I grieve for and with the families who lost loved ones, for those whose children saw and heard things that no child should ever see or hear.  I send an infinite amount of prayers to all those affected by this tragedy.  It will take a long time for this community to heal.  I pray that positive change comes from this horrendous tragedy and that we will never have to learn of a situation like this again.

I was thinking tonight about what on earth could be done to pull something positive from this.  All I could think was that I am personally going to try to be more accepting of others--I am going to go out of my way to especially listen to those with whom I disagree.  Before I argue with anyone I'm going to do my best to calm down and ask myself why I'm arguing, why my argument is more important than another human being.  I engage in too much nonsense based on my need to feel like I'm right or smart or justified and I need to stop it.  I can't go about asking people to come together, to set aside their differences, if I can't do it myself in my own private life.  At this point, other than crying and feeling completely helpless while wanting so much to help, that's about all I can do.

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image80
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I just came from my church Christmas party - and as always, we opened and closed the evening with prayer - and the families in Connecticut were mentioned.

The entire country is grieving.  So many churches and synagogues are meeting this evening (due to the holiday season), and there are literally millions of prayers being lifted up, asking for comfort and strength for those who are hurting.  Prayer cannot reverse what happened, but it does unite people during times such as this.

One of our colleagues here on HP posted on Facebook a while after it happened that a friend of hers was still waiting for news on her child. Then later in the day, we got the sad news that the friend's six-year-old son is among those who are not coming home tonight,  We are all only a few degrees of separation from those who have been affected by this event.

I am so sad to hear that. 

And we are all affected by this which is why the unity you wrote about is needed so much.

5. crazyhorsesghost profile image72
    crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years ago

It is so sad that this has happened again. I can not believe that it continues to happen over and over. I"m a retired US Naval Officer and a Native America and in the past would have argued against gun control of any type but something has to be done. This can not continue to happen over and over. I think this should be addressed as a National issue and steps should be took to prevent it happening again. I can't tell you how sad this has made me today. I feel so sad for the families of those children. Especially here just before Christmas.

There just feels like some kind of bizarre hysteria is in the air.  It's felt that way to me for a while now.  People seem on edge, touchier, less likely to take a deep breath before emotionally unloading, there seems to be some undercurrent of frustration and fear running rampant.  But the fear seems more than apprehension, it feels like an assuredness that the blackness is in the future.  I would think that would be a recipe for apathy, but instead it seems to be leading to insane action rather than inaction.   I just so want to make it all better for everyone and there's nothing I can really do for anyone.  I feel this awful emptiness in my heart when I imagine those parents at home right now without the child they sent off to school just this morning, never knowing they wouldn't be there now.  And then I imagine how the emptiness I feel is nothing compared to the fullness of grief they are experiencing.  And yes, right at the time we're meant to celebrate peace on earth and goodwill.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image80
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your phrase, "Fullness of grief," is so well stated, Esme.  That captures the enormity and depth of sorrow at this time.

6. rebekahELLE profile image87
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I still have no words I can express.  I am stunned.  This song has been in my heart for the past 2 days, the message is so clear.  For the children and adults who lost their lives today ~  may your voices be heard~ Top of the  World

Beautiful.  Thank you for posting that.

7. EsmeSanBona profile image82

This is the song that's been playing in my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIeEAAOZAUQ

8. EsmeSanBona profile image82

And Marcy Goodfleisch posted this earlier, which is as sadly appropriate now as it was when it was recorded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-og_MxjIrzg

9. sunforged profile image75
    sunforgedposted 11 years ago

I have been collecting verified Fundraising organizations that will directly distribute funds to CT Families in need.

http://www.newtownyouthandfamilyservices.org/donate.php

http://www.newtownparentconnection.org/money.html

http://xobba.com/44/real-ways-help-conn … g-victims/

http://www.redcross.org/news/article/Re … l-Shooting (no word on strict earmarking of donations yet - but they are already at work)

Tell me if you find more

Awesome.

10. EsmeSanBona profile image82

Goodnight to all in this community.   I am glad I am getting to know you all.

11. EsmeSanBona profile image82

Emilie Parker's father Robbie Parker, just past a day after Emilie's murder, asks us not to define ourselves through yesterday's cruelty, but by Emilie's love and compassion. This man's name and that of his daughter are the names to etch in our minds: remember Robbie Parker, remember Emilie Parker.

Obrigado, Robbie Parker, para ser uma luz mesmo como você fica na sombra da mágoa. O amor do Emilie vive morte passada, vive em você.

12. writinglover profile image76
    writingloverposted 11 years ago

I had just read about sweet Emilie earlier today. My thoughts and prayers to the Parkers. Nobody deserves such a loss and especially back to back. At least, wherever they are, they will be safe in each other arms, watching over their loved ones...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)