jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (46 posts)

Guns and crime? Check out California.

1. Barefootfae profile image59
    Barefootfaeposted 4 years ago

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/12/27/507915 … rease.html

Gun sales up. Crime down. Whoulda thunk?

1. diogenes profile image69
      diogenesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Who said there are "lies, damn lies and statistics," if that was the quote.  We get conflicting reports on crime being up or down daily in the UK.  Most are put out to the guilable media by some special interest or other.  I never believe any of it.  The truth is probably everything gets worse as the world continues to overpopulate and the resources become scarcer.  I expect gun sales went up in the USA after the latest spate of insanity as people wanted to get a weapon before any restrictions came in.  I doubt if crime is truly down, though...Diogenes.

2. movingout profile image60
    movingoutposted 4 years ago

I agree, I seriously doubt crime is down due to more people having guns. Pure hogwash. In my area, the majority of the gun related crimes never hit the newspaper! If it did, most wouldn't come here! Last month 2 out of 18 gun related incidents were reported. Maybe someone knows why the other 16 werent in the paper?

Barefootfaeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well I can tell you without doubt the President is one of the best gun salesman there is.
      Every time he speaks about gun control sales go through the roof.

1. Michele Travis profile image71
        Michele Travisposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well people to want to keep themselves safe, very interesting.

They do not plan to go gently into that good night. Right?

1. Michele Travis profile image71
            Michele Travisposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Right +1111111

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
            Mark Knowlesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

How many will you kill to keep your guns you brave thing you? lol

I don't have any guns you unknowing thing you but I respect the right to own one.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

So all these threads attacking people who don't like to see children murdered with guns are just because you want that to keep happening? Not because you know anything about guns yourself? Because you don't own any. Right. sad

It seems that you not only "respect the right to own one"  - you aggressively promote it as a good thing to defend yourself against the masses of killers out there.

Oh wait - that sounds like trolling.....................

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7516740_f248.jpg

How many times does stuff like this have to be pointed out?
                  How stupid do you have to be to believe if you ban guns we will have peace on earth?
                  Heard a guy on the radio the other day give a $50,000 dollar challenge to anyone who could produce a gun that would of it's own volition sit up and shoot someone dead.

We have a people problem not a gun problem. Now you can view that however you will but acting as though we have no right to have a right is ridiculous.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

No - you have a people who can easily get a gun problem. wink

2. A Driveby Quipper profile image61
                  A Driveby Quipperposted 4 years agoin reply to this

People like to see children murdered with guns?

That's another thing........
                    And calls ME a troll.

2. movingout profile image60
        movingoutposted 4 years agoin reply to this

@Barefootfae...That's because many of the news channels and the NRA are promoting fear! But what's scarier is how many purchasing these guns even know how to operate one? Or if put in danger, could actually pull the trigger? And let's not forget, how many would end up shot or killed by that new gun they just purchased? Food for though!

Who is promoting fear? Really?

2. Barefootfae profile image59

Let me get this straight...
          You think because someone goes and buys a gun.....any gun...they will...not maybe but will go out and shoot someone?
          I live in Oklahoma. They just recently passed an open carry law. You know what? You don't see any guns in holsters on belts and no extra people are dying and people aren't having duels in the streets.
          Do you understand that?

2. profile image66
      logic,commonsenseposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If you know about them, why haven't you reported them?

3. Barefootfae profile image59
    Barefootfaeposted 4 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7516796_f248.jpg

1. movingout profile image60

Last I knew there was only one God. If a woman chooses to have an abortion its between her, her family and God will judge! To compare the killing of young children to abortion is at best a ridiculous stretch! Gun laws do need to be examined! All guns should be registered, at the very least. Make it illegal to garage sale and private sale guns without background checks! That would be a move in the right direction!

Wow.
        You don;t get it do you?

1. movingout profile image60

!@ Barefootfae....Apparently you don't get it. You probably believe we need less government to? Of course only when it fits into your thinking of what should or shouldn't be. Your comparison is ridiculous! Let God decide about abortions. I respect your opinion, but it's just that. Your opinion! That decision is a family decision, not yours to make. Unless of course, you're GOD?

2. Don W profile image83
      Don Wposted 4 years agoin reply to this

So what a woman does with her uterus should be controlled by government, but the availability of lethal weapons should not be.

I agree. Time for the nation to re-examine its morals.

You don't get it either.

3. Disappearinghead profile image79
      Disappearingheadposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Mmm so the American right says abortion is murder, but they support the death penalty, think everyone should have a gun, and believe its patriotic to send their young people to a Middle Eastern country on a fools errand. At what age does the American right think they should be allowed to kill people?

4. Greekgeek profile image96
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

Crime has been declining in California for a number of years due to rehab, prevention and job training programs.

Gun sales rising is due to recent NRA panicking its constituents; the steady drop in crime considerably predates this new trend.

The NRA is not spreading panic anywhere near the level the White House and the Party is.
      Talking points abound.

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
        Marisa Wrightposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes they are.  The government (and even some Republicans) are talking about restricting military-style weapons.  Not ALL guns!   So the gun lobby runs around stirring up fear:  it's the thin end of the wedge, soon they'll take away all guns, don't let them get their foot in the door. 

In most other countries of the world, those military-style weapons were banned some time ago - and there's been no sign of the ban spreading.

1. GA Anderson profile image85
          GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Greetings Marisa,
          The U.S. had an assault weapons ban for ten years.

It was allowed to sunset because there was no statistical evidence it made a difference, or to support its extension.

So, what has changed? Except the spotlight of a tragedy, and the demand of the masses that something be done?

Sot of like the old "spitting in public" laws. Any outcry must be appeased with an action - regardless of its legitimacy.

GA

2. Disappearinghead profile image79

The NRA has managed to turn a national tragedy into sales opportunity. Makes you wonder about their morality....or lack of.

1. A Driveby Quipper profile image61
          A Driveby Quipperposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Those insidious devils!

2. profile image55
          whoisitposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The NRA did that? The NRA was silent for a week, the rush to politicize this rests solely on the left. The sales pitch by the left continues daily gun crime after gun crime is marched in front of us to draw attention to the real problem, those dastardly guns running amok killing innocent people.

1. Disappearinghead profile image79

Ooh they gave it a week so as not to appear mercenary of course. But their speech about how schools should have armed guards and guns make people safer was pure sales promotion.

1. profile image55

Bill Clinton suggested the same things about guards. Schools where I live have Police officers in the schools and have for years. Killers don't go to where there is a chance they will get shot before they do what they set out to do.

And why is it that America is the only Western nation that thinks armed guards are needed in schools? Oh yes it's because of some anachronistic right to bear arms that has led to a nation full of gun totting nutters.

1. profile image55

Yeah, that's it. You have shown why the Europeans are taken so seriously.

It's a simple fact that your obsession with the right to bear arms that has led to this mess in the first place. But rather than take an intelligent view on how to reduce gun ownership you whine about rights. This is why the world laughs at you.

3. movingout profile image60

Obviously, watching too much Fox News! lol

5. movingout profile image60
    movingoutposted 4 years ago

I fail to realize why anyone would want an assault weapon? Enlighten me please! I can't imagine hunting for deer using an assault weapon? Or for that matter protecting my home from a burglar!Correct me if I'm wrong! If you need on that bad, they should be registered and used only at firing ranges after proper instruction of use.

working