Kentucky, Community College Shooting

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (20 posts)
  1. SpanStar profile image59
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01 … tucky?lite

1 injured, 2 kill

Of course it is a shooting. Clearly having these guns should do solve a lot of problems don't they?

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How about stories of people defending themselves with guns?

Or do you not care about that side of the story?

2. SpanStar profile image59

When we can stop shooting people with guns there won't be any need to talk about people having to defend themselves against guns.

Before you talk about the other weapons that can be used for killing, pretty much the articles I've read from people in law enforcement agree that the gun is the weapon of choice.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Before you talk about the other weapons that can be used for killing, pretty much the articles I've read from people in law enforcement agree that the gun is the weapon of choice"

And the point of that is?  That because it is the weapon of choice that nothing else will be substituted if they are not available?

2. profile image0

We can't stop people from shooting each other with guns. That's the reality, good or bad, of the cultural, political, and geographical nature of the US.

SpanStarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And That Is the Real Problem in America!

1. profile image0

Yup, so why are we talking about guns, instead of the real problem?

Because some people fear guns as killing machines.  They hate them and want them gone from society.  A tragedy with emotional loss behind it reinforces that fear with the expected result of demands for gun bannings.

3. SpanStar profile image59

Wilderness,

I'd be interested to know if you can have a knife, bowl & narrow crossbow, anything that does not fall within the gun shooting range what is your weapon of choice if you had to go up against someone with a gun?

1. profile image0

What distance?

2. wilderness profile image95

If I'm understanding, you're asking what the chosen weapon would be against a gun, and within the guns range, but outside the range of whatever I choose?

I suppose a crossbow.  Why?

It could be just me but I don't hear 20 or 30 people begin taking up with a crossbow. In fact I don't see modern infantry units stocking up on bows and arrows nor do I see fighting soldiers focusing their training on kitchen butcher knives. I pretty much never hear 70 are 80 people being taken out with a piano wire etc.

But isn't it surprising that military's foreign and domestic have hundreds, thousands if not millions of guns. Things that make you go hmmmmm!

It sounds like you're promoting the idea that we all need to carry guns instead of fists or knives in case someone 100 yards away starts shooting.

Somehow I don't think that's your point, though! smile

First of all there is no need to point out people should carry guns because from all the gun supporters I've listened to that is exactly what they want to do. My point is it has been said with as many guns as in circulation in America today that rounds out to approximately a gun for every man woman and child in this country. For some people not even that figure is enough guns.

Now, claiming that I want everyone to carry a weapon is as silly as claiming that you are demanding that no one any weapon at all.  Gross exaggeration in both cases.

The major claim I've made (and can back up with hard numbers and facts) is that limiting gun ownership does not bear any relationship with the homicide rate anywhere in the world.  Given that, there is no useful purpose in banning or limiting gun ownership outside of then being able to claim that we are doing something about the killings while the body count continues to grow.  I go on to suggest we need to put our efforts and resources into something that at least might pay a dividend in limiting the murder rate instead of putting them into something that hasn't worked in any other country.

The problem with presenting the argument you have just made sound like a positive approach and I'll give you credit for that but here is the thing-day after day, year after year the only thing people get is Talk. All those years of murder and death by guns and where are we-right where we always are, dealing exactly with the same issues we said we were going to resolve before-I'm sorry but that record is old needs to be thrown out. Whatever you think about owning guns my position is just as strong if not stronger when something is always at the center of the problem that is a problem.

Well, we certainly agree here - what we've been doing isn't working.

Making gun ownership harder all the time, banning or relieving bans, increased documentation or limiting types of ammunition - none of it has worked.

So why do you propose more of the same old, same old? 

Why aren't we looking at the roots of violence instead of the means to do it with?  Things like mental illness, childhood violence, the war on drugs, our infatuation with and glorification of violence in all it's forms?  Why aren't we training our kids to handle bullying and how to accept and control their emotional upsets instead of suiciding or going postal?  Why are we letting murderers, particularly murders of helpless infants and children, return to society after a few years?  Why do we allow gangs and gang violence, in both slums and jails? 

That old, old response of limiting guns hasn't worked, isn't working and is highly unlikely to work in the future.  There are so many things that might work - why do we stick with something we know won't?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
                    psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No single approach in isolation will work.  That is why we all have to take on the approaches that inconvenience us and require our participation, as well as those we can push off on other people.

4. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

The shooting happened in the parking lot of a community college;it was a personal retaliation issue.
    No ,I'm condoning it, but local police wanted to emphasis that point.
    Guns are prolific in the hills of Kentucky and the people there will shoot to defend their right to own them. many are unregistered and traded like paying cards.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)