jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (12 posts)

Gun Appreciation Day One Month After the Conneticut Maasacry?

1. Rhonda D Johnson profile image70
    Rhonda D Johnsonposted 4 years ago

Few tragedies have struck America like the gunning down of 30 school children in Connecticut last month.  Yet, little more than a month later, gun rights advocates, including White supremacist groups such as American Third Position have set this coming Monday January 21 as Gun Appreciation Day.

How do you think the parents of those children feel about this?  Is it just a coincidence that they chose to do this on Martin Luther Kings birthday and inauguration day for Obama's second term?  Why is the media suddenly focusing on Obama's statement that he reveres King and Lincoln?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If we made it common practice to cancel long scheduled activities to avoid hurting someone's sensibilities after they've already been hurt we would likely have few events that ever happened.  I remember seeing the same kinds of comments after 911.

I don't know when the scheduling for this was originally set, but would certainly expect it was before Obama won the election.  It must, then, be coincidence that it is scheduled for his inauguration day.  MLK day, probably not - it seems likely to have been scheduled for a holiday in order that more people could participate.  I do rather doubt that it was scheduled as a public slap at MLK - that would likely be quite counter-productive to their aims and goals.

Rhonda D Johnsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Exactly what are their aims and goals?  Here we have a celebration of guns pushed by white supremacists groups and set on the birthday of a Black figure who was slain with a gun. Coincidence?  I don't think so.   If someone set bomb appreciation day on September 11, should we dismiss the "sensibilities" of the families touched by the Twin Towers because. after all, they've "already been hurt?" 

And you forgot to dismiss the "sensibilities" of the parents whose children were gunned down last month.  I guess one month is long enough for them to have gotten over it and moved on with their lives.

1. profile image58
          whoisitposted 4 years ago in reply to this

MLK's birthday is January 15th, gun appreciation day is January 19th. But if you are bound and determined to be offended I'm sure somebody died by gun on January 19th.

We will celebrate MLK's birthday on Monday which is the 3rd Monday of January regardless of what day he was actually born on.  All the news stories I've read about GAD also say it will be on Monday the 21st.  I'm not sure where you got the idea that it will be on the 19. Most federal days of observation are held on Mondays and this is supposed to be a federal day. 

Dismissing the date by no means erases the sick mentality  of people who want to celebrate a killing machine.

1. profile image58

I got it from here http://gunappreciationday.com/

It doesn't matter when MLK's birthday is celebrated, it still isn't his birthday! A gun is not a killing machine the killing machine is the one who wields the gun!

Why don't you strive for some accuracy in your posts?

2. profile image58

Actually I think its scheduled for Jan, 19th.

3. Credence2 profile image87
      Credence2posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, Rhonda, I don't care what whoisit or whowasit says, this STINKS.
      It reveals a connection between the rightwing anarchist and racist feeling which seems to be behind much of it all though the opposition goes through Exorcist sort of contortions to deny it.

This is not a mere coincidence, white supremicists, this is why the political right  needs to be called out regardless of how the polecat changes it stripes. This is just another backhanded attack at the president. The rightwingers are ignorant almost as much as they are transparent in their every motive.

1. profile image58

I think its a straight forward attack on the President, I have no problem with it at all. By the way its whoisit.

1. Credence2 profile image87
          Credence2posted 4 years ago in reply to this

OK, Acknowledged

2. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 4 years ago

Gun Appreciation Day

I have to tell you at times I question the mentality of those who profess to be adults.

This act sounds similar to the event that took place in the Bible where people began to worship a golden calf.

Are people worshiping the gun that have put people permanently in a wheelchair? Are people worshiping the gun whose bullets have gone through people's homes and killed or crippled their children and or love ones? Perhaps people are worshiping the gun from all the men women and children that have died in wars with it.

Guess what event I'm Not Going to Appreciate!

I wonder what kind of mentality it would take for someone to participate in this.

working