This week President Obama proposed 23 executive actions that include more background checks for people buying guns, and also banning certain types of "assault weapons" and large ammo clips. Some people think this might be against the constitution, others say that in wake of recent tragedies that these steps are necessary to keep innocent people safe. What do you think?
See all 23 measures listed below. Where does it mention a ban on certain types of assault weapons? It doesn't because no such measure is included. None of the measures impact on weapons currently owned, or weapons people would like to own. Your comment is the type of misinformation that needlessly stirs the pot and makes it impossible for any sensible discussion. Stop spouting rubbish and actually read things!
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
I have great respect for the office of President. Does President Obama? Time will tell what this "president" is really up to. We are watching. We the People are ALL watching.
Look out, People.
I'm watching a POTUS who will go down in history as one of the greatest POTUS in history.
I can't give an informed answer because I haven't read all the proposals. I support gun ownership, but I'm reasonable about it. As I've said before, I have no need for semi-auto weapons with huge clips. As always, the devil is in the details. Should all semi-auto weapons be banned? NO! A Remington 1100 shotgun is considered a "semi-automatic," but it holds only 5 shells.
I believe he is handling this correctly since these are, indeed, executive actions and not executive orders. It begins the discussion.
I see a lot of people misconstruing what these actions mean, but mostly from people who would claim Obama doesn't tie his shoes correctly even if they tie their shoes the same way he does.
It would be better if he did something about the overuse of pharaceuticals.
by Technology Scout5 years ago
What are your thoughts on the President's proposed gun reform efforts?This week President Obama proposed 23 executive actions that include more background checks for people buying guns, and also banning certain types of...
by Marcy Goodfleisch4 months ago
Do you believe there should be tighter gun control laws?Should there be laws against selling or owning some types of guns? What do you think?
by JOC3 weeks ago
The same party that says we should support the troops and law enforcement argues that we need to own semi-automatic weapons because we can't trust the troops and law enforcement.
by Credence23 years ago
As my stomach turn listening to former NY Mayor, Guiliani blame the President and the current mayor for the deaths of the 2 officers in Bed-Sty, New York City, I had reason to pause. I think for myself and the...
by Credence22 weeks ago
As for Trump’s suggestions regarding gun control. So, conservatives, whose side is he on here? Is he really suggesting that law enforcement preemptively strip just anybody of weapons before a crime is committed? That...
by Christin Sander5 years ago
What are your thoughts on the new Illinois law making it a felony to video an arrest?This law went into effect ahead of Chicago's G8 summit - where there tends to be a lot of protests. It also, in my opinion, is a...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.