Is the monentary squeezing of the middle class just a coincidence?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Moderndayslave profile image62
    Moderndayslaveposted 11 years ago

With wages adjusted for inflation either stagnant or losing ground and commodities and the cost of living going up. Is the US economy being systematically gutted or is this just a coincidence? What's your opinion and why?

2. innersmiff profile image67
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

I believe it is, and whether this is intentional or not remains to be seen. It is impossible to deny that the squeezing of the middle class as part of a general gutting of the economy is happening - it is though, the inevitable consequence of central banking, inflationary economic policies and government over-spending.

1. junko profile image70
      junkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes Moderndayslave, the economy is being systematically consumed,  by the never ending rising profit margins of capitalist in the world economy. Capitalism and Profits from the sale of goods and services Must be regulated  or all of the federal government's and the people's money will eventually be consumed (Gathered) by Profits for goods and services. Unregulated Capitalism invites greed, fraud, and corruption.  Unregulated Capitalism has also caused the debt ceiling to continually rise.

1. innersmiff profile image67
        innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

On what planet is this 'unregulated capitalist economy' you speak of? And how soon could I go there?

3. Moderndayslave profile image62

I feel it is being gutted by the Fed, too big to jail banks and wall st. The dollar is being devalued, banks are getting money for nothing creating worthless(financial instruments)?what the hell is that? and wall st. pours money into commodities which in turn raises prices which never seem to go back down. So the dollar which is worth(less) fights against rising prices. The commodities fix is simple, you want to buy it? Where do you want it delivered? You cant physically take delivery,you can't buy it.What is the crisis with oil today? Nearly everything has some plastic or rubber which is created with some sort of oil by product. Coffee is going extinct from global warming all while I see plains over head puking out crap that is destroying the atmosphere above us. Any link,what do you think? almost everything is made in China, Seeing that label makes me throw up in my mouth. Why,corporatism,, which off shored jobs for profit.Maybe we should offshore them?Most of our elected officials are bought by big money, we should give them suits like NASCAR drivers that have the logo's of who owns them because it sure as hell ain't us. The populace could actually combat this but they seem to have their head up their arse.Keep suffering. I don't get it  Sorry for the rant

4. Moderndayslave profile image62
    1. junko profile image70

innersmiff, Planet Earth, everything including air and water is for sale for profit in this unregulated capitalistic planet. Maybe you can't see the forest for the trees.

1. junko profile image70

Moderndayslave, The Federal government prints the money for the capitalist to consume. Big banks and wallstreet is where all the printed money ends up eventually than it is burned and more is printed. your rant is called for, it make you want to holler and throw up both of your hands.

2. innersmiff profile image67

You are quite right to point out that money printing is for the benefit of the banking institutions, but quite wrong in the diagnosis. This can not be considered capitalistic. This is fascistic, command economy nonsense that a truly free market would not produce.

I wager, relieving some of this control and regulation would go some way  to fixing some of the ills you see as the product of an 'unregulated capitalist economy'. But to explain this to you would require addressing your misunderstanding of the word 'capitalism'.

If you believe it means an economy in which individuals and corporations profit from economic activity, then I concede, but this is not what capitalism is. True, free, unregulated capitalism is a state in which property rights are completely respected, i.e. a situation where is no violent claim by corporation nor government.

1. junko profile image70

C'mon, Capitalism is the sale of goods and services in America for profit. Private sector profit is allowed in an American capitalistic economy, but GOVERNMENT profit is not allowed. innersmitt, I know you know that Capitalism was made in America, The very few and the banking and wallstreet institutions that make millions and mega millions yearly do so because of unregulated  Capitalistic fraud and greed.

If we take 'Capitalism'  to mean that, it renders the word completely useless. Nearly every society on Earth has seen individual profit from economic activity.  If you are revolting against personal profit as a general rule, you are revolting against nature.

I'm really struggling to see this "unregulated" economy you speak of. Take this claim to hurricane victims who are prevented from rebuilding due to stringent building regulations, organic farmers who have their milk stolen from them by the feds and children accosted by police for opening a lemonade stand, and see what kind of reaction you get. This is but some of the unnecessary regulation that stunts and strangles the economy.

I also have no idea where you're coming from when you say that government profit is not allowed. The institution's primary function is to provide profit for special interests, and the tendency is for the government to confiscate more and more revenue as time goes by, profiting more and expanding more than any corporation we've ever seen.

As I said, this 'fraud' you speak of is a symptom of fascism, not capitalism.

1. junko profile image70

innersmitt Capitalism is made in America, and it is unique to every society on earth which has seen individual profit from economy activity. Capitalisms was based on slave labor for hundreds of years and during and after slavery the government supported through land grants and tax breaks the growth of capitalism. The sale of goods and service for profit in America is  mostly paid by the Federal Government to the private sector. In this capitalisticsystem the Federal Government is the Cash Cow for the states and private sector of society, the people are the chips to be cashed in for entitlements served, The private sector offers education grants live and on line, housing, healthcare, and every kind of Government service offered to the people and paid by the Federal Government's Garantee. There has been for years a redistribution of wealth from the public sector to the private sector. Now the private sector say the government is too big and should not support needy people with Government jobs or assistance. What do you think about American people that need help and what your take on Capitalism?

Capitalism made in America? Not exactly true. Free markets - private ownership of the means of production - existed before there was any government to sponge off them. You're quite right in that 19th century America saw the freest markets the modern world had ever seen, and consequently enabled a period of unprecedented prosperity and increase in living standards, lifting millions out of poverty. Slavery is not a symptom of capitalism, but of disrespect of the principle of self-ownership. If these rights are respected, capitalism can still flourish.

There is a critical distinction you have to make between certain actions: actions that you have cited, including entitlements for corporations, are not the same as actions that occur in truly free markets. Corporate entitlements  are bad, yes, but does this make capitalism bad? No. An economic system that respects individual rights, that is, a system without a violent party (in this case, government favouring) is still capitalism, but without those factors that skew the economy in favour of large corporations ahead of the smaller competition. These things, you say, are done to favour capitalism, but it also has a negative affect to the smaller businesses who have no tax breaks or regulatory favours. It is only beneficial to a small minority, not 'capitalism' as a whole. True free-market, unregulated capitalism leaves everyone on a level playing field.

Your idea of redistribution of wealth is skewed. Where does public sector money come from? Of course, the private sector. Without the private (voluntary) sector, there would be no productivity for the government to gain revenue from. In my opinion, any safety nets and public services such as schooling and health, need to be voluntarily participated in and paid for, as opposed to taxed for and made compulsory. I am against any act that violates the non-aggression principle.

1. PhoenixV profile image64
                  PhoenixVposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think there is nothing wrong with capitalism. The problem I see is instead of money issued as a tool to accommodate the producers of goods to the consumer, they have created a problem of using the tool of money and turning it into a good to be traded.

The problem to me its seems is not capitalism. But taxism and interestism, to coin a couple of terms. Once taxism and interestism are injected at the high degree it is ie exorbitantly higher than the need to accommodate  the producers or goods to the consumer, a non sustainable model is created.

2. junko profile image70

innersmiff, I hear you and have heard all you have said. I don't expect you to agree with all I've said and I thank you for agreeing to some. Our views of capitalism is a reflection from our perspectives in life, mine is an underclass perspective, yours is some place else. We may never see capitalism the same way, but its o'k.

5. Moderndayslave profile image62
    1. maxoxam41 profile image65
      maxoxam41posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't make sense to hammer down the middle class since it represents the purchasing power of the US. It is the real demand. To diminish it is to undermine the economy.

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nah, it's a conspiracy. The rich don't want anyone else to have any money, because if middle-class Americans stop working and spending money, then... uh... the rich will... stop making money.

And they want to do that because... because they hate freedom, and America.

Moderndayslaveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just wondering, Who shops for your food or puts gas in the car, your mom?

1. profile image0

Personal attacks make for wonderfully convincing arguments, don't they?

Only trying to get you to seriously engage the question. Maybe you can let us in on how inflation and stagnant wages doesn't affect you., Sorry your skin is so thin.

1. profile image0

Haha, more personal attacks!

I did engage seriously. I used sarcasm to make a point, a serious point.

Who would benefit from making the economy worse?

My sarcasm was a personal attack though,wow

1. profile image0

If you want to call it sarcasm, then yes, it was.

See, what I said was addressing an idea. What you said was addressing a person.

Saying a person is dumb is called a personal attack. Saying an idea is dumb is called a critique.

6. taburkett profile image59
    taburkettposted 11 years ago

a person who wants to destroy the United States recognizes that they must destroy the middle class in order to create the largest chaos and cause the greatest economic damage.
    the current government is on the path to this destruction as it continues to operate wildly spending more than it can ever collect in revenue.
    since this is being accomplished by the current leadership, it is no coincidence.

7. Moderndayslave profile image62

This article explains explains exactly why gas costs what it does today, no competition. So much for ant-trust legislation
    http://deanhenderson.wordpress.com/2013 … lluminati/

1. profile image0

or, it's because supply is purposefully limited to keep prices high. Blame OPEC more than anything.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)