Turnabout is fair play.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (64 posts)
  1. Barefootfae profile image60
    Barefootfaeposted 11 years ago

http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-wi … cies-areas

Now manufacturers are refusing to sell restricted firearms not only to citizens, but govt. agencies as well.
    Fair is fair right?

1. Josak profile image59
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

HAHAHAH! NO
      By that logic individuals should be allowed to try, convict and jail people or own nuclear weapons, it's utterly insane, not that it matters anyway in this case I gurantee the government agencies will have no trouble buying the weapons from somewhere.

1. innersmiff profile image65
        innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"By that logic individuals should be allowed to try, convict and jail people or own nuclear weapons . . ."

I wouldn't have a problem with this.

1. Josak profile image59
          Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In which case you are utterly nuts.

It's bad eneough that there are people who want to kill innocents with a gun let alone the destruction that would be causeed by a nuclear weapon.

People trying other individuals without any democratic choice on what the law is would simply become the mayhem of people jailing those they don't like and prisoner abuse etc.

complete lunacy.

That incredible destruction is a very good incentive not to use nuclear weapons. Nukes did not arise from the free market but from governments, and governments are the only entities that want to use them. It's the military protection that grants the individuals who ordered the nukes from afar safety enough to do it. Even then, there has been only one nuclear attack. Even governments are hesitant to use them despite the protection. In real life, people will not want them.

What I am talking about is private courts that answer to the individuals that voluntarily contribute to it (as part of the street-owner's contract, maybe). They would in fact be more accountable to the people than government courts as individuals only need to withdraw their funds if the court is not fair. No doubt you'll say that big corporations will buy them out. Maybe, but the court's survival still rests on the user's willingness to contribute to it. If government courts get corrupted, there's nothing we can do about it.

1. John Holden profile image60
              John Holdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So which of Hiroshima and Nagasaki wasn't a nuclear attack?

They happened on two separate days so hardly can be described as one attack. The second long enough after the first for the perpetrators to understand the full horror of what they had done.

Barefootfaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What would you have done John?

Irrelevant, whatever I would have done wouldn't have any affect whatsoever on whether it was one attack or in fact two.

No,no,no....it's not going to be that easy.

You said something there about perpetrators or some such.
                    What would you have done with Japan?
                    It's far from irrelevant it apparently speaks to your belief that although we were attacked we were supposed to bend over, kiss our butts, and just let them all roll right over us, evil that we are.

2. innersmiff profile image65

All right, if you're going to be pedantic about it - two attacks. We haven't seen one since, but we're still in a state of paralysing fear about being attacked.

The only non-governmental institutions with the resources to get a nuke would be massive corporations. Imagine Microsoft building nukes. That would be a smart move . . .

You don't understand, non-governmental institutions have all the resources of government at their disposal.

2. John Holden profile image60

Yes, it suits the government (in the form of corporations) to keep us in a world of fear, we are far less likely to see the junk that is being thrown at us from our own if we believe it is being done so to protect us from evil forces.

3. Barefootfae profile image60

Ok...once again.
                Here is your statement. God forbid a nation defend themselves and try to end the attempt of another nation......whose Emperor proclaimed himself God....to subjugate the human race.

What do you think should have been done.

I might be wrong but I have no memory of ever writing that and it certainly doesn't match my "tone of voice" but I may be wrong.

Look at what I posted and your quote I am referring to is there.
                    You squirm around and try to change things when you don't want to answer a question.
                    It was about Hiroshima dn Nagasaki and you were talking about the perpetrators(US) should have been horrified by the first bomb. Problem was Japan didn't get the message, not us.

4. Barefootfae profile image60

Read above.

How do you get to "God forbid a nation defend themselves and try to end the attempt of another nation......whose Emperor proclaimed himself God....to subjugate the human race." from what I actually wrote?

"The second long enough after the first for the perpetrators to understand the full horror of what they had done."

That's the last part of your statement.
                    Obviously you believe the second should have never been dropped.....well either of them.
                    My question was what would have been your solution to resolve the situation?

2. John Holden profile image60

It's a shame that your fellow countrymen are not so keen on upholding the first, fourth, fifth and sixth amendments as well! Where they to do so there might be less need to fight for the second.

2. innersmiff profile image65
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

Absolutely! But it's always been one rule for us, another for them. That's what government is all about.

1. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There lies the rub.  It is a "Do as I say, not as I do" mentality that is making us nuts.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

If they want to turn away the business, that is up to them.  European makers will be happy to take the contract.

4. profile image54
    whoisitposted 11 years ago

Peggy Noonan said it best.

"It is always cliffs, ceilings and looming catastrophes with Barack Obama. It is always government by freakout. "

5. profile image54
    whoisitposted 11 years ago

Isoroku Yamamoto said
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

That is exactly what they did!

6. Barefootfae profile image60
    Barefootfaeposted 11 years ago

Now that we have gotten all off topic which I suspect was intentional, I hail the manufacturers who want to keep things real.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)