The courage of Bob Woodward

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (56 posts)
  1. Drhu profile image59
    Drhuposted 11 years ago

It certainly is refreshing to see someone stand up and speak truth in an arena where he will certainly be the underdog.
    Bob Woodward...or Watergate fame...has stated an opinion that directly opposes the President and his administration as relates to the Sequestration matter.  He did so knowing he would be flayed alive for it and yet did so anyway.
    Particularly noteworthy is the fact Mr. Woodward is certainly not a Conservative. Richard Nixon would be happy to affirm that were he alive.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I'd say Woodward exhibited courage.
      He didn't, however, want to label a lie a lie;  he should've done that.
      So he's not there yet.  He's not ready to admit how tyrannical this White House is.
      But the situation illustrates that even liberals aren't exempt from Obama's ire if they expose his untruths and bullying ways.

2. A.Villarasa profile image61
      A.Villarasaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Drhu:

I have always thought that Bob Woodward and Obama's White House were  in a symbiotic kind of relationship, especially during Obama's first presidential term, when Woodward was given "full access" to the White House and to Obama himself when he was gathering material for his two books that touched or tugged gently on Obama's style of leadership. Now that  the ties have been cut (irretrievably? I doubt), it would be interesting to find out how the rest of the main stream media would act and react to two of their own (liberal, progressive, left leaning etc.) having such a very public fight. Who will they side with? Reading ScottGrubber's post,  it seems he is still firmly on the side of the much adored and venerated president

1. Drhu profile image59
        Drhuposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bob Woodward is one of the few who would not be intimidated by this group of leftist thugs.
        Why should he be? He knows what to do with politicians.

2. Drhu profile image59

Mr.Gruber strikes me as one who would happily volunteer to redact our history books to suit the administration.

1. Barefootfae profile image60
          Barefootfaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Trust me there's a gang of them here who have already done so in their minds.

3. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Someone disagreed with the President!

Is this supposed to be news? Woodward is a Fox commentator now.

Statistical analysis shows that people become more leftist during their lives but become comparatively more conservative to the mainstream because it becomes more progressive faster, as a result it's pretty clear that someone who was not a conservative during the Nixon administration may well be one now.

2. profile image0
    scottcgruberposted 11 years ago

Wow. Melodrama much?

Bob Woodward got into a spat with an economic adviser over the sequence of negotiations that created sequestration two years ago. Bob remembers one version of events, the White House remembers it differently.

Nobody's getting "flayed alive." I know in the right-wing nut-job multiverse, Generalisimo Hussein Obama has journalists hung by their eyelashes for printing negative stories, but that doesn't actually happen in this universe.

But it is quite entertaining to see the RWNJs hailing Bob Woodward as their new hero. Do continue - it's endlessly hilarious.

1. A.Villarasa profile image61

@Scott:
      Considering that Bob Woodward has lately been contributing quite a bit of political commentary on  Fox News , most of it critical of Obama's handling of the Benghazi  tragedy, and the sequestration debacle, The White House's response to it ( Woodward going rogue, and in effect co-habiting with the enemy) was not unexpected. But to make quite a public spectacle of the whole thing is counterintuitive  as it was counterproductive, much as what Obama is now doing... threatening and scaring the  American people of the "dire" consequences of the sequestration... an idea that Obama himself  authored and signed into law in 2011.

NO!

Really?
        How could he do that? Taxes he wants to raise maybe?

@Barefoot:

Oh yes, really!!!!
          And now he is in full blame game mode... it's everybody's fault. He is also in full "scare them folks" mode as well.

3. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

See I am a little bit conflicted on this.

Woodward's reply e-mail gave no indication that he felt threatened in any way, shape, or form.  However, I am curious as to what it means to be sorry for running a story.

1. profile image0

That's the question, really.

And Woodward indicated he's partly concerned because young inexperienced reporters may be treated that way and may feel very intimidated.

There's another recent story where another reporter was even more bullied;  the paper that ran his story was told not to run his stories again or something, something about being banned from access to the White House press conferences............I need to check that out again....I just heard a little bit about it on Hannity earlier...........

1. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, with the passage of the NDAA, the administration showed it was theoretically willing to violate the free speech rights of anyone.  Obama may not end up doing anything to journalists (aside from access issues, which I think is a tool any administration has as its disposal).  Unfortunately, expanding the power of the feds to this extent, aside from the violation of free speech, is also setting a dangerous precedent for future presidents.

2. Coolpapa profile image66
        Coolpapaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow, Hannity! Now there is an open minded disinterested  objective source!

1. profile image54
          whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hannity is an opinion guy, he has no constraints. He is not a journalist he is a commentator, when will you libs learn the difference?

2. Drhu profile image59

Oh no don't worry. They said that but they didn't really say that because it was in the right wing nut job multiverse..

Even though they did say that.

4. Coolpapa profile image66
    Coolpapaposted 11 years ago

Speaking the truth is what is expected! Why would he get praised for that. I like Woodward and the openess that Obama has shown in previous interviews with him shows that he does as well. This flap is over whether a staff member was thrteatening him when he said ""I apologize for raising my voice in our conversation today, You're focusing on a few specific trees that give a very wrong impression of the forest. But perhaps we will just not see eye to eye here. … I think you will regret staking out that claim."
    That quote - which is directly from Bob Woodward- doesnt sound that threatening to me..  So what is the big deal, a White House Staffer disagreeing with a writer or the fact that it is out in the open?

1. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60
      Dont Taze Me Broposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, you are right! The email didn't read as a threat but it is hard to tell what the actual posturing was in an email. Evidently there was a heated debate before the email? and I'd say only Woodward would know if any of this was actually meant as a threat or intimidation in the total context of his experience with the White House. I mean who are we to criticize "the most transparent administration in history" Duh! (if you believe that I have a bridge to sell ya....cheap).

5. Drhu profile image59
    Drhuposted 11 years ago

Here's  a peek into the right wing nut job multiverse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t72SRceRqcQ

1. profile image0
      scottcgruberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. Woodward himself doesn't say he actually felt threatened, and says he doesn't believe this was part of an actual White House communications strategy. It was a heated exchange with one official. He's downplaying the incident.

In the RWNJ Multiverse, however, you're painting Bob Woodward as the sole journalistic voice standing up against tyranny, despite the fact that there are multiple newspapers, radio talk shows, blogs and even a cable news network devoted to bashing the President.

1. Drhu profile image59

In reality CNN thought it was worth bringing up and pressing him on.
        In the left wing nut job multiverse you fully agree with the statement he will be sorry.
        That was said.  It's a fact.

2. Drhu profile image59

There is one and only one News network that doesn't chirp the chirp, tweet the tweet, join the barking chain along with the mainstream media. They are bashed continually for that. I hardly see it but if I want to find out about something and not listen to how the Republicans are causing a problem according to the left wing nut job multiverse they bow to I will watch Fox.

3. profile image0
        HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Woodward said  the word "regret" was "coded" to mean "you better watch out."

He also said Sperling shouted at him over the phone for 30 minutes.

To understand what really happened - you need to read Woodward's original piece where he describes the sequester problem as "madness."

Given that Lonny Davis and Ron Fournier (both liberals) have said they, too, were bullied by the Obama Administration, this appears to be par for the course.

The throne-worshipers here might not like it - but there it is.

1. Drhu profile image59

All you need do is imagine an episode like that in the prvious administration and what these same people would be saying.

From the left wing nut job multiverse of course.

2. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60

You think CNN is rightwing?

1. Drhu profile image59

Never said that now did I?
        It's Bob Woodward talking about the incident.
        That's all.

I think you did say that - Here is what you said:
          "Here's  a peek into the right wing nut job multiverse:"
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t72SRceRqcQ (this link is a CNN video in case you didn't notice)

1. Drhu profile image59

I did notice. I purposely used CNN and the multiverse thing is in response to the snarky response I got above from someone living in the left wing nut job mulitverse. He's probably busy tending his unicorn right now.

Oh sorry, I missed that...Your post didn't have a reference (like "in reply to this") following these posts can be confusing. I'm "right" with ya now.

1. Drhu profile image59

It's ok.
                I must go now.....I will be flogged if I don't watch Fox News for the next three hours.
                big_smile

you ain't missing a thing His Majesty is on spewing his propaganda.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Bob Woodward's own reply to the email rather contradicts what he is now saying about it.

7. JimTxMiller profile image77
    JimTxMillerposted 11 years ago

Much ado about nothing.

8. Drhu profile image59
    Drhuposted 11 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOx6XQXF7Jo

Bob Woodward telling it like it is. On MSNBC...Not Fox.

1. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh noes - now they'll label MSNBC as a right wing propaganda machine.

Do you find it strange at all that there are people willing to throw themselves (and all logic) under the bus for this President?

Woodward is standing up and declaring that the Emperor has no clothes, but the Obamatrons are purposefully looking away so they wont have to see the President's....well, you know.

1. Drhu profile image59

Are you familiar with the term "cult"?

2. Josak profile image60

It's weird because almost every liberal I ask thinks Obama is just Ok and every hardcore leftist I talk to doesn't think much of him at all. An opinion I share, Obama is a mediocre president at best just much better than the alternative is all.
        This Obama cult mainly exists in the minds of conservatives.

1. profile image0

Obama has been horrendous on civil liberties, even worse than Bush.  He's just less bellicose about it.

However, he has pushed for increased environmental regulations to combat climate change (while also supporting the Keystone Pipeline), turned into a supporter of gay marriage, and has been willing to fund infrastructure repair and education- which are all positions consistent with a moderate Republican, but still good nonetheless.

The right has just turned nasty and reactionary, so Obama in comparison strikes those leftists like me as highly reasonable.  But, examining his kill list and the NDAA, he is a supporter of the police state, which is a highly disappointing aspect of his presidency.

@Sooner:
            Obama suported the Keystone pipeline? Are you serious?
            If he reallysupported it, the construction of that pipeline should be half-finished by now. The fact is he continues to bow to his  rabid environmentalist supporters.

1. profile image0

His administration recently released a report saying it wouldn't be detrimental to the environment.  His inaction is not due to a lack of support; it's his calculation that the political winds are not quite ready.

@sooner:
                So in Obama's world, political considerations are more important than economic necessities?  WOW , quite a stunning realization, but not one I am so totally unexpecting, considering that Obama is the most ideologically bent president since...?....I could not think of any other president as ideologically driven as Obama.

2. innersmiff profile image66
          innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree that there isn't a widespread love for Obama, or an Obama 'cult'. What is a more common trend is a general acceptance of his policies based on the notion that the other guy would be worse. There has to be a point, though, where we all have to demand better.

I'm at peace with people who disagree with me economically, but when we're dealing with basic civil liberties and people's lives, simply pointing at the Republicans is not good enough. Even if, as many on the left try to tell me, Obama is forced to work with the Republicans on the NDAA in order to pass other policies, this is no excuse for acceptance. We then have to conclude he is compromised and therefore not fit to be President.

The only 'cult' we need to be looking at is this cult of apathy and acceptance, 'the better of two evils' NONSENSE. Ok, no ranting.

1. Josak profile image60

Agreed, it's why I voted third party but the practical truth is we are left with little true alternative than one far less than perfect party and one living in the wrong century and I am not sure how to fix it.

Third party voting in the US has never really caught on which leaves your average voter with a tough choice, vote for inferior parties or effectively waste their vote and as a result get something even worse.

1. profile image0

In Oklahoma, the choices on the ballot were Romney and Obama.  I expect Romney would've been pretty much the same as Obama on foreign policy, without the diplomatic illusion of reasonableness that Obama portrays. 

But, on social and economic issues, Romney was a true corporate conservative.  He would have done nothing to fundamentally help anyone who wasn't rich.

1. Drhu profile image59

Every bit as much as Josak assures us Obama is not left I can certainly assure you Romney is and was not right.
                There hasn't been a Conservative in the White House since Ronald Reagan.

1. profile image0

The right believes in reducing regulations and taxes on businesses.

Romney was right because he agreed with those things.  You could say Romney wasn't right enough (since he wasn't a real libertarian), but you can't argue that he isn't right.

Obama isn't left because he doesn't support any of the ideas the left does.  His ideas for minuscule tax raises, his willingness to cut programs for the poor, his support of imperialism (which isn't a necessarily left or right issue, but is usually supported by neocons), and his unwillingness to hold the banks accountable are just a few of the ways he differs from a real liberal.  Raising taxes alone does not make a politician liberal.  Taxes could be raised for imperialism or the police state.

Romney was on the same railroad tracks as the right, he just didn't travel far enough down the road for many of the libertarian variety.

I don't think lots of the left folks share your views otherwise he wouldn't have gotten re-elected.

Of course it would have helped had there been a viable contender against him.....

2. Josak profile image60

Reagan is not a modern day conservative really. The modern conservative movement is obsessed with so called fiscal responsibility Reagan was the man who begun large scale debt spending for economic stimulus I don't agree with everything Reagan did but unlike present day conservatives he understood modern economics.

1. Drhu profile image59

And see mainstream Republicans actually despised him.

3. profile image0

I don't think so.
          I recall watching people gush all over themselves simply because a black man won the Presidency.   There were news segments, even, on that subject.   I remember seeing an elderly black woman gush about it, and the reporters said well she's an old woman so she's got a right to (be biased) if she wants to.    Ummm...no, she really didn't have a moral right to be biased, even if she had a legal one.
          Because she didn't talk about his policies or anything; she simply make it clear that she was gonna vote for him because his face was black.

Most of them didn't care what he was like politically or personally;  they just saw his face and lost their will to make good decisions.

And some of them thought he really would help them,  again simply because he was a "minority" and they assumed he really wanted to help them.   Even some white people.  But all he really wanted was their vote.   I remember at our polling place at the first election,  a neighbor of mine started gushing about how Obama was gonna help poor people and those who couldn't afford health insurance.   She said she'd vote for him twice if she could!   That's a totally unpatriotic and nutty thing to say, just like the older lady I mentioned.    Yep, she was mesmerized just like all those people who cried when he won, like the woman on tv who said Obama was gonna pay her bills, and all those people whose legs got all tingly like Chris Matthews!  LOLOL.   That's cult-follower behavior.

1. Josak profile image60

Oh sure there was a short period for like a year after he was elected when there was a lot of enthusiasm, I was talking about the present day when we know what kind of president he is.

9. Drhu profile image59
    Drhuposted 11 years ago

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/2 … 77681.html

Here's even an article..using the same video I posted...from the Huffington Post.

Gotta be right....cause you know that the hipper types never lie.......do ya?

Right on!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)