GM - $5 billion profit last year!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (71 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 10 years ago

Oh yeah, and a $34 billion tax benefit.

Why isn't the left pissed off about GM? We've given them $36 BILLION in tax benefits over the last couple of years. They haven't paid any taxes, and with this new benefit they likely won't for another two decades, if even then.

Where is the 'Everyone has to pay their fair share!' crowd?

Romney pays 14%, he's a tax cheat. Obama pays 18%, crickets. GM pays -680%, crickets.

Bunch of hypocrites is all.

1. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So Obama made less and paid more percentage wise, nothing hypocritical about that, cool now that we have that sorted tongue

Yeah GM should be paying taxes and it's ludicrous to just hold up failing companies.

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's hypocritical to criticize Romney and not criticize Obama. Both are under the statutory rates, and Obama is actually further under his statutory rate than Romney was.

1. Josak profile image60

How? He made less is worth a 50th of what Romney is and paid more percentage wise.

1. profile image0

Romney's statutory rate is 15%. Obama's is(probably) 35%.

Which is closer to the statutory rate? 14-15, or 18-35?

1. Josak profile image60

Again #1 How? #2 Can you provide sources #3 Probably?

Not that any of it is relevant the argument was always a moral one and if your moral argument is that the guy who is worth one 50th, made less and paid a higher percentage has the moral lower ground on this issue I don't think you will get far tongue

1. profile image0

What do you mean how? Different types of income are taxed differently, that's how.

How about the guy who pays more taxes in one year than the other guy pays in a lifetime? Shouldn't he have the high moral ground?

You're right though, you have brought us off-topic. The point is the hypocrites who criticize one person for not paying his 'fair share', when he just pays according to the tax code, and doesn't criticize another who does the same thing... and further doesn't criticize a corporation that is still syphoning money off of other tax payers.

1. Josak profile image60

I have seen a lot of criticism of the bailouts form the left and from the special aid accorded to large companies which from a leftist perspective should not be helped at all. No one ever accused us of loving big business too much tongue

1. profile image0

I haven't seen hardly anything.

I haven't seen a single person criticize Obama's tax rate, or criticize GM.(outside of this thread)

2. Cody Hodge5 profile image69
              Cody Hodge5posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lol, so you're giving Romney a break because of a loophole in the law?

1. profile image0

Nope. I'm saying if you criticize one person for paying only 93% of the statutory rate, but don't criticize another person for only paying 51% of the statutory rate, then you are being hypocritical.

I'm not making statements about right or wrong. I'm making statements about the inconsistencies of peoples' positions. If you read what I wrote, you would know that.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
                  Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Much like your own smile You usually don't attack business.

1. profile image0

Really? Point out my inconsistency then.

And I reject your premise that Romney somehow paid more because of the irony that earned income should somehow be taxed more than unearned income.

Yes, I understand that investment income is taxed less because the government wants to encourage investment, it still seems weird though.

1. profile image0

I didn't say he paid more because of his tax bracket. I said he paid closer to his statutory rate than Obama did. Seriously, just read.

Want to know what doesn't make sense? Someone saying that they think the investment tax rate should go up, even if it hurts the economy, in order to make it more 'fair'.

It doesn't make sense that someone would purposefully harm America to try and make it more 'fair'.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80

How is this different than most major companies? Seems the "left" on here is constantly saying business should pay its fair share.

1. profile image0

Most major companies pay about a 30% effective tax rate. GM paid a -680% rate last year.

The difference is that the same people and groups who criticize Romney, criticize GE(erroneously), don't also criticize GM and Obama for their tax rates.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

And I believe they should pay the same taxes as everyone since the money the government gave them obviously was the right thing to do for them... but they should pay their fair share like everyone else should.

2. Superkev profile image60
          Superkevposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Think it has something to do with the fact that Obama ignored federal laws on bankruptcy in order to hand over control of GM to his union friends??

Things that make you say, hmmmmmmmm.

Cody Hodge5posted 10 years ago

Whoa.....never said the rate should go up. And there isn't a alot of historical evidence to prove that increasing the investment tax rates discourages investment.

1. profile image0

No, I'm talking about Obama. He said that.

1. Cody Hodge5 profile image69

Sure, but that still only applies to higher income earners, and there is no hard evidence to support that higher capital gains rates causes people to invest less of their money.

1. profile image0

I didn't say that.

I said it doesn't make sense to say you would purposefully hurt the country in order to try and make it more 'fair'.

Did he actually say "I'll purposely hurt the country to make things fair." or did he say that he was going to rise investment income tax rates and in your opinion it would hurt the country?

1. profile image0

He said that, even if he knew that raising those rates would hurt the economy, he would do it anyway.

3. profile image0

Cody, since you don't seem to be able to understand, let me repeat the point of the thread.

It is hypocritical for a person or group to criticize, say, Romney for not paying the marginal rate, but not criticize Obama for not paying the marginal rate. It is also hypocritical for a person or group to criticize, say, GE for not paying enough taxes, but not criticize GM for not paying enough taxes.

4. Cody Hodge5 profile image69

"Romney pays 14%, he's a tax cheat. Obama pays 18%, crickets."

You're initial assertion is people should be outraged that Obama paid a higher percentage.

"Obama Paid Less Because His Marginal Rate Was Higher"

OK, but Obama still paid a higher percentage of his income.

"Obama says that he will raise capital gains rates and it will ruin the country"

Three quotes from you. Essentially you claim that Obama paid less than Romney, people should be outraged about it and Obama is a moron.

The only problem is that Obama paid a higher tax rate, your second point is an attempt to change the debate and the last assertion is mere conjecture and speculation.

So again, what's the point of this thread other than you ranting about a problem that doesn't exist?

1. profile image0

1 - No. My initial assertion is that Obama also pays less than the marginal tax rate.

2 - I never said that.

3 - I never said that.

Now you're resorting to lying? Good grief..

If you want to know the point of the thread, read the first post. Then, if you are still confused, read this:http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112473? … ost2394929

Lol, you're denying that you said items 2 and 3? Just admit that you lost Jaxson, it's OK, it happens to the best of us.

1. profile image0

I didn't. Get the links for each post where I said those. You put something different than what I said, put it in quotes, and pretended I said it.

So come on, where are the links?

CODY HODGE5 WROTE:

Whoa.....never said the rate should go up. And there isn't a alot of historical evidence to prove that increasing the investment tax rates discourages investment.

Your Response:

So there's evidence of number 3

1. profile image0

Nope.

Link to the post where I said "Obama says that he will raise capital gains rates and it will ruin the country".

Hahah this is over Jaxson, you lost......its cool

1. profile image0

Link to it. If I said "Obama says that he will raise capital gains rates and it will ruin the country", then just link to it.

You can't, so admit it.

5. profile image0

Cody, FYI, it is intellectual cowardice to make up quotes for your opponent. You made up two phrases, stuck them inside quotes, and attributed them to me.

6. profile image0

Since you don't seem capable...

In this post: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112473#post2394847 I said
    "Want to know what doesn't make sense? Someone saying that they think the investment tax rate should go up, even if it hurts the economy, in order to make it more 'fair'."

You replied here: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112473#post2394857

"Whoa.....never said the rate should go up. And there isn't a alot of historical evidence to prove that increasing the investment tax rates discourages investment."

To which I replied here: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112473? … ost2394860

"No, I'm talking about Obama. He said that."

'That' is a pronoun, referring to the first post. I never said what you quoted me as saying. Admit it.

OK, assuming that's true....

Did Obama ever say that, or is that your opinion? Because if he didn't say that, then I'm correct saying that this was just your opinion and its mere speculation.

So unless he actually said that, nice try.

1. profile image0

So do you admit that you lied about what I had said?

Uh no.....you made a claim

Then tried to deny it

But you made the claim

How am I lying?

1. profile image0

The quotes. You said that I said both of the following.

"Obama says that he will raise capital gains rates and it will ruin the country"

You can't link to a post where I said either. Admit it, you lied. I didn't say either of those quotes.

I never denied a claim that I made, you just can't read. And you have lied. Do you seriously have no integrity at all?

7. profile image0

Cody, also waiting for you to LINK to the post where I said "Obama Paid Less Because His Marginal Rate Was Higher".

Can't do that either, right? I swear, there is no integrity left, why is it so hard to be honest when you are discussing something? Outright lies that are easily verified to be lies, and you act like they're still the truth?

8. Cody Hodge5 profile image69

Nope. I'm saying if you criticize one person for paying only 93% of the statutory rate, but don't criticize another person for only paying 51% of the statutory rate, then you are being hypocritical.

I expect you to spin that now....

1. profile image0

1 - So do you admit that you lied about what I had said?

2 - Why would I spin that? You said I was giving Romney a break, and I said no.

3 - Why do you put what I didn't say into quotes, but not put quotes around what I did say?

Your good with semantics and with giving people runarounds.....but you're argument is flawed and the more you keep trying to label me as a liar for merely pointing out things that YOU said is not going to score you any points.

I'm sorry Jaxson, you claimed that Obama said that he was going to raise the tax rates on investment income. Unless you can prove that, you are merely spouting out conjecture and speculation.

Now, you are just trying to spin the conversation to make me look like I lied. Funny thing is, the more you quote, the more you keep proving my points.

I know you think you're smarter than everyone, but I'm not gonna just agree with your spin and your changing of the narrative. I've debated with you/seen your other debates to know that this is how you roll.

Just admit that you're wrong, and no amount of spin can change that.

Now, I'm done with the topic, have fun yelling at your computer about how there isn't any more integrity or something.....

1. profile image0

1 - I didn't say those things. You're lying. If I said those things, you could link to the post where I said them. You falsely attributed quotes to me, that's lying.

2 - You have the audacity to act like I must provide the quote of what Obama said, after you refuse to show where you got your made-up quotes that you attributed to me?

3 - You lied. You made quotes. It's fact. I didn't say those things. That's fact. Prove me wrong. I dare you. Link to the posts where I said those two things. You can't, because you lied, and you won't own up to it, because you have no integrity.

4 - You call it spin when you make up straw man arguments. It's another cowardly tactic, when you can't argue against what I say, so you make up quotes.

That's right. Run away. You lied and you got caught, so you'll play the 'I win, I'm leaving now' card. Any respect I had for you is gone.

9. Cody Hodge5 profile image69

Lol, you're accusing me of plagiarism now.....

All the quotes are in the thread for anyone who wants to read it in its entirety...unless Jaxson deletes or edits them.

1. profile image0

And yet, you can't link to a single one...

Like I said, you have said everything I've accused you of saying.....and I copied/pasted from the thread itself unedited.....

Again, I'm done.....I hope not respecting me somehow makes your argument better and restores integrity in the world.

1. profile image0

You didn't copy a single instance of me saying one of those two quotes.

You're still lying. I never said
          or

10. Cody Hodge5 profile image69

72JaxsonRaineposted 3 hours ago
    CODY HODGE5 WROTE:

That's on page 2

1. profile image0

And where in that post did I say "Obama says that he will raise capital gains rates and it will ruin the country"?

11. Cody Hodge5 profile image69

72JaxsonRaineposted 6 hours ago
    CODY HODGE5 WROTE:

Lol, so you're giving Romney a break because of a loophole in the law?

I'm not making statements about right or wrong. I'm making statements about the inconsistencies of peoples' positions. If you read what I wrote, you would know that.

That's on page 1

1. profile image0

And where in that post did I say "Obama Paid Less Because His Marginal Rate Was Higher"?

12. profile image0

I didn't say either of those quotes. You lied. Admit it.

Do you understand what a quote is?

You mean those things I keep throwing at you over and over again?

1. profile image0

You posted two quotes and attributed them to me. Two specific phrases, in quotes. I never once said those phrases. When asked for proof, you posted two posts that didn't contain those phrases.

I never said "Obama says that he will raise capital gains rates and it will ruin the country". You're still lying.

13. Cody Hodge5 profile image69

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112473#post2394847

You Said:

Someone saying that they think the investment tax rate should go up....

I Said....

Your Response:

So there ya go.....there's your direct quote saying that you think Obama wants to raise capital gains rates

And with that...

I am out.....

Enjoy....

And please refrain from calling me a liar in the future its not professional smile

1. profile image0

And nowhere in there did I say "Obama says that he will raise capital gains rates and it will ruin the country".

You attributed a quote to me. A quote is word for word. I never even said the word ruin.

You're lying, because you are saying that I said things that I never said. That's a lie, which means you are lying.

Although, it's not your fault. You clearly don't understand what a quote is. Probably your teacher's fault.

But please refrain from continuing to lie. It's not professional.

No, I'm talking about Obama. He said that....

What did he say?

The investment tax rate should go up.....

So yea....kinda hard to argue.

1. profile image0

1 - 'thinks the rate should go up' is not the same concept as 'will raise the rate'. Do you need me to explain the difference between should and will?

2 - Where did I say, word for word, "Obama says that he will raise capital gains rates and it will ruin the country"? Link to the post where I said that. You can't, because I didn't, which makes you a liar.

semantics my good man, semantics.

Its all good though, you have a nice night.

*Oh, if anyone else has come to the conclusion that I have blatantly lied or misquoted anything that Jaxson has said, feel free to report me or my posts*

1. profile image0

Nope, not semantics. Lies.

Do me a favor, don't reply to me again if all you want to do is lie about what I've said in the past.

As always it was good talking to you....

Hopefully this won't get in the way of our friendship.

1. profile image0

I refuse to be friends with someone who lies about what I have said, especially in digital format when I can prove I didn't and he can't prove I did.

There is no integrity in such a person, and I would never be friends with someone devoid of integrity.

IF you can link to the post where I said, word for word, both of those quotes, then I would admit I was wrong and apologize.

IF you admitted that I never said those two quotes, then I wouldn't be as disgusted by your behavior.

But I don't see either of those things happening, not after you doubled down, and quadrupled down, on claiming I said things that you just made up.

14. profile image0

If you're still in doubt Cody, I'm asking you to LINK, not quote, to the post where I said, word for word: "Obama says that he will raise capital gains rates and it will ruin the country"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)