If President Obama feels the duty to publicly criticize Donald Sterling's racial

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (29 posts)
  1. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 9 years ago

If President Obama feels the duty to publicly criticize Donald Sterling's racial slurs...

aimed at black people, why doesn't he voice criticism for racial slurs directed at non-blacks? While I found Sterling's comments ugly, ugly, ugly, at the very least he thought he made them in a purely private conversation. By contrast, other equally ugly (and often publicly made) slurs go ignored, e.g.: the anti-Semitic remarks spouted off regularly by Louis Farrakhan. If President Obama truly cares about ending racism, why doesn't he denounce incidents of racism when it is directed against whites, Jews and other non-black Americans? 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8918945_f260.jpg

2. profile image57
    retief2000posted 9 years ago

How about the anti-Semitic positions staked out by his own cabinet members or the ones staked out by his very own, oh so quotable, pastor Jeremiah Wright?  I remember listening to, flabbergasted at,  Barack Obama's spiritual leader say "Them Jews aren't going to let me talk to Barack!" 

Could it be the color lenses Obama uses to view the world?

bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very good point, retief2000! Wright has a vile mouth on him.

2. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Exactly how is that anti- semitic? Its a fact that AIPAC runs Americs, and no one gets to power without them. That is not anti-Semitism, that is truth. Sterling said blacks and Hispanics are dirty and smell. You dont see the difference?

3. bethperry profile image83

lovemychris, I won't try to validate anyone's conspiracy theory about AIPAC. But imagine if it was a Jewish President saying, "them blacks aren't going to let me talk to Barrack." It would be just as awful and you know it.

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jeremiah Wright is not the president of the U.S. As far as I know Obama never slammed any group of people based upon their race.

3. junkseller profile image79
    junksellerposted 9 years ago

"I have been very clear in my denunciation of Minister Farrakhan's anti-Semitic comments. I think that they are unacceptable and reprehensible" - Barack Obama, February 26 MSNBC Democratic presidential debate.

"[Reverend Wright's] comments were not only divisive and destructive, but I believe that they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate, and I believe that they do not portray accurately the perspective of the black church...They certainly don’t portray accurately my values and beliefs." - Barack Obama, news conference in Winston-Salem, N.C. April 29, 2008.

I think you are seeing only what you want to see.

Besides, it isn't like he is responsible for what the media brings to the light. It is a big story, the media asked him about it, what else would you expect him to say?

If you want to criticize the media for being too hard on some and too easy on others, I'm all for it. The media sucks, but when it comes to race, I don't recall Obama ever really stepping outside of what are/were big issues of the day.

1. profile image57
      retief2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

But Obama was content to sit in his congregation for 2 decades listening to hate speech. People usually flee situations they find to be morally reprehensible, but not so Barack Obama.

2. Express10 profile image86
      Express10posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with your take JS, the President responds to things that are the big issues of the day or what is being asked of him and he cannot control what is put forth in the media as far as what he spoke about. Many do see things as they want.

junkseller, thanks for the reminders. Maybe my question should have been: why doesn't he AS EAGERLY and QUICKLY come forth to condemn racist remarks aimed at non-blacks? He waited his sweet time on voicing anything on Wright and Farrakhan.

4. junkseller profile image79
      junksellerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Bethperry, it seems to me that in all of these cases (except perhaps Trayvon Martin) he responded only when they were posed as issues to him by the media. And what he has said about race I think has been very good and very appropriate.

5. bethperry profile image83

junkseller, I agree with you about the timing; it is generally when he's back up against a wall.

6. junkseller profile image79

Well, in his defense, to some people, he can do nothing right, and the mere opening of his mouth generates immediate 'controversy' which distracts from the matter at hand. I think I'd be stingy if I were him too, especially on such touchy subjects.

7. bethperry profile image83

junkseller, there is probably truth in that. But to be frank about those who have tried to be fair-minded toward him, we get socially stoned when we criticize his actions and likewise stoned when we support his actions.

8. junkseller profile image79

I'm sympathetic to your plight. I don't think you are alone though, seems like throwing stones is all were good at these days. My hope is that people of fair-minds win the day, but most of the time I have very little hope of that.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

I remember watching one of the press conferences shortly after President Obama was elected, wherein a reporter asked him what his thoughts were on race relations in the country. It came out of nowhere as I'm pretty sure the conference was about healthcare. I just remember thinking "what does that have to do with anything?"

So, my guess is, the president responded to this particular incident because someone probably brought it up. It seems like, since he is the first non-white president, the press wants his reaction to every incident of minority racism in the country. I would hope that if someone did bring up racism towards whites, or any other group, that he would similarly denounce it. But, being silent on an issue doesn't necessarily mean approval. It might just mean it hasn't come up in front of cameras, which might speak more towards the media's position than the president's.

1. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

He was askef at a press conference in Malaysia. How come no one cslled out Beck when he said Obama had a deep- seated hatred of white people? Even tho hes half white. THAT is racism!

2. profile image57
      retief2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Have you read his biographies.  His self loathing is palpable.  He does not identify with his white heritage and neither do any of his faithful followers. Isn't calling him half white racist? Does he identify himself as half white?

lovemychris, I didn't know Beck had ever been a U.S. President.

5. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

I saw the president's speech and he did denounce (all) racism.
    If anyone listened to the full tape of Donald Sterling's rant he slammed blacks as well as Hispanics. While Obama was in China a reporter asked him about his thoughts. It should be no surprise that a person of bi-racial decent and a huge NBA fan would not remain silent on a (global) story.
    If former president Bush or Clinton had made the same statement on this issue as Obama did they would be universally applauded and this would be a non-issue. However the political climate that we live in today it's impossible for (either) party to give the opposition party any praise or acknowledgement for doing anything right. You have to hate their very existence and everything the person says or does these days. 
    All politicians are elitist! Republicans and Democrats are two sides of the same coin! It makes no sense to become emotionally invested in either party. We have do the best we can regardless of who is in the white house, senate, or congress.

Interesting and well said.

6. LandmarkWealth profile image66
    LandmarkWealthposted 9 years ago

The issue is not really the President.  It is the media, and it's incredible double standard.  Sterling is essentially black listed not only from the NBA, but just about everything.  The same media is quickly forgiving of men like Al Sharpton who uses phrases like "White Interloper" then incites a riot in Brooklyn that gets 7 people killed, and he gets a TV show on MSNBC.  Jackson calls NY "Hymie Town" and is regularly brought on TV as a political commentator to heal the racial divide and council President Clinton on his extra marital affair.  We won't see Spike Lee get the same heat for his comments about "white gentrification"  I wouldn't expect Sterling to get a TV show on any cable network anytime soon.  If he is smart he will spend his remaining years outside the country.

I am waiting for the national media to spend as much time on this recent case as they do Sterling. I guess Sterling's racist comments are not as interesting as 12 blacks beating a white man into a coma while he tries to help a kid after an accident.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/04/04/ … ate-crime/

I would not hold my breath.  Then again I wouldn't expect the President comment on this case either, although he was quick to jump out in front of the Trayvon Martin case.  In reality, he should just stay out of this stuff.

1. gregas profile image82
      gregasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sharpton and Jackson are 2 of the biggest racists in the world. I think they have incited more riots and uneasy situations than they have prevented. They are definately NOT a Martin Luther King, Jr. Just my opinion, Greg.

2. LandmarkWealth profile image66
      LandmarkWealthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My father was a NYC court officer and had to strip search Sharpton twice.  That was back when he was brokering cocaine deals and trying to sneak weapons into the court house. Now he is a former Presidential candidate who chastises Don Imus for a joke

Landmark Wealth, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

4. LandmarkWealth profile image66
      LandmarkWealthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. Boxer Floyd Mayweather now says he wants to buy the Clippers. If he tries, lets see if the NBA is as harsh about his anti Asian racist rant about his chief rival Manny Pacquiao 2 years ago that he put all over the web.  I'd be shocked.

5. junkseller profile image79

O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Hannity, Allen West, Ingraham, Coulter, Bolling, Beck, Don Imus, J.L. Peterson, Bryan Fischer...that's just the obvious ones. To not see the free pass given their racism is just another case of seeing only what you want to see.

7. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 9 years ago

Beth, you've put your finger on a huge problem in this country--black racism and discrimination against whites. Having a black man elected and re-elected president must be quite hard for you to bear. Try to hold up for a couple more years when you'll be able to rant and rave at Hillary Clinton.

Aw, c'mon Deeds, don't try the race bait game with me. You picked the wrong woman married to a man darker than the President to try that crap on.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)