jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (16 posts)

My Fellow Liberals

1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 4 years ago

http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/05/10/ … iminality/

I ask that you stop turning a blind eye to Obama's continuation of Bush policies, which can now accurately be described as Obama policies.

Don't let the fear of a Republican in the White House lead you to allow a "liberal" Democrat to do anything he/she wishes.  Until Democrats understand that liberals will abandon them and vote against them for injustice, nothing will change.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image82
      tirelesstravelerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Excellent topic Sooner.  What we should want is people governing with integrity, not Republican or Democrat.

2. Reality Bytes profile image83
    Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago

The article was timid in mentioning it, but I will.  The United States has been steadily declining in to fascism for decades!

1. twosheds1 profile image60
      twosheds1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. I think it's becoming more of a plutocracy or a corporate oligarchy. The military has been a cash cow for corporate America since WWII, as well as being a corporate mercenary force.

1. Reality Bytes profile image83
        Reality Bytesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Corporate oligarchy is fascism!

"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

2. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think you have a misconception about what fascism is.  Like the Mussolini quote shows, it's basically complete corporate control over government.  I suppose this raises the question of whether a plutocracy is fascist?  I'd say probably so.

1. Mighty Mom profile image86
          Mighty Momposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Do we not have, de facto, complete corporate control of government as a result of
          Citizens United?

1. profile image0
            Sooner28posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Nearly so.  I don't think it's complete control yet, because if anyone people decided they wanted to change the power structure, the politicians would listen.

2. profile image0
            JaxsonRaineposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If that were true, then wouldn't we have politicians from reps to senators to the POTUS who were business friendly, to lower taxes and regulations?

1. innersmiff profile image74
              innersmiffposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Lowering taxes and regulations hurt the biggest businesses because they enable competition. Big businesses can more easily get round both than small businesses can.

1. profile image0

Most big businesses pay around 25-30%... and they aren't really threatened by competition from small businesses.

No, if businesses controlled things, they would change the environment to be more friendly to them. That would mean more profits and bigger bonuses.

2. Zelkiiro profile image94
          Zelkiiroposted 4 years agoin reply to this

All the more proof that the 1% are evil and need to be toppled.

1. profile image0

I have 3 family members in the 1%. What have they ever done to you?

1. Zelkiiro profile image94
              Zelkiiroposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Destroyed the housing market by giving themselves six-digit bonuses?

1. profile image0

First, wealthy people didn't destroy the housing market... but that's a different topic.

Second, nope. None of them got any six-digit bonuses. None of them are even in the position to give themselves a bonus.

Want to try again?

1. wilderness profile image99
                  wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

They stole from the poor?
                  They accepted massive govt. cash handouts?
                  They refused to voluntarily give everything they have to the liberals?
                  They provide jobs, but only at wages that leave them a 2% profit margin?
                  They drive a Mercedes?

They pay far more than their share of taxes, but not at the 100% level (yet)?
                  They donate more than anyone else, but again not at the 100% level?

They exist?

Come on, we all know they are the epitome of evil, there must be something!

working