jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (16 posts)

War With Syria? Can We Just Say No?

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 4 years ago

Why can't we contact our Congressional Representatives and tell them to just say no to Obama's rush to war with Syria?  Is there really anything to gain by attacking Syria? Both sides of the civil war in Syria hate the U.S.?

Find your Representative's email address: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

1. cfin profile image82
      cfinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The economic benefits for a country such as the United States to a war are well documented throughout history. Without getting into it too much, I will put it simply by saying, the rich do well from war, always have done and will continue to do well from the war machine while humans still walk to earth.

Dr Billy Kiddposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If the first 50,000 people killed was not a war crime by that Syrian regime, why is the killing of 350 people with gas a war crime?

1. cfin profile image82

Again, because they use the media to get the backing of the people, to start a war in order to sell lots of weapons to both sides. It is more than obvious. However, the people are not as dumb as they once were. Less and less people are supporting the each incoming war.

2. psycheskinner profile image85
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

So what should be done about people committing war crimes like gassing?

1. cfin profile image82

Wouldn't it be suitable to have an international agency to deal with these (the UN are ineffective). There are plenty of countries who could easily deal with Syria. It should not be an American question. In the UK, they see it as a UK question, in Germany a german question.
      Why can't the so called "leaders" work together to solve this issue? It shouldn't be America the terrible/ brave/ alone every time and truly its not. Its all just a big fanfare.

1. John Holden profile image61
        John Holdenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

And parliament has just stopped the government's desire to go in and make war.

Dr Billy Kiddposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The English example is what gave me the idea of emailing our Representatives. I thought maybe that could stop that rush to war.

Talk about morality? No war is moral. And the U.S. does not have a moral foreign policy--not after killing 100,000 Iraqis just to get the oil ("It's our oil," people were saying at the time.)

Now people say, "It's our moral obligation." And I ask, why? The president of N. Korea machine gunned his girl friend, her family, friends, and coworkers yesterday when he had a little tiff with them. Is the U.S. obligated to bomb N. Korea, too, to show them a moral lesson?

1. maxoxam41 profile image77
            maxoxam41posted 4 years agoin reply to this

As we are droning civilians and torturing in Guantanamo, where is our moral obligation? Following the Coriolis force when I flush the toilet!

2. maxoxam41 profile image77

It shouldn't be a Westerners' matter since our motivation is only geopolitical and economic.

2. maxoxam41 profile image77

Who gassed? The Takfiris or Assad? Whose interest is it? The loser of battles or the winner? The one that is supported by his people or the ones supported by Westerners? Stop ignoring the reality like an ingénue, if you can't why are you pretending to debate rationally?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
        Uninvited Writerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You don't know the answer either so you are doing exactly the thing you are criticizing others for.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64
        Ralph Deedsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I accept our government's conclusion that the Assad regime is responsible for the gas attacks. What we should do about it is a question about which reasonable people can disagree. I'm not inclined to overlook the Assad's use of poison gas, but I'm not sure a military strike is the best alternative. Hard question.

3. maxoxam41 profile image77

What should be done with people droning civilians or torturing them in Guantanamo?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
        Ralph Deedsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Fair questions, but not quite equivalent to poison gassing hundreds of women and children.

2. profile image74
        Education Answerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You made an interesting point.

It's all okay though, because Americans will only be murdered if they are out of the country, and they are on the approved kill list.

working