Has the media in US cours helped the cause of justice or hindered it?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Silverspeeder profile image60
    Silverspeederposted 10 years ago

Has the media in US courts helped the cause of justice or hindered it?

A senior Judge in the UK is now advocating that the press is let into some UK courts, to aid the course of justice.
    Sir James Munby, head of the family courts, said that without ‘the jealous vigilance of an informed media’, families will suffer irreversible wrongs.
    Sir James, who is president of the Family Division of the High Court, also called for the opening up of the Court of Protection – the secretive court which settles the affairs of those who have lost the capacity to decide for themselves.

Has the US benefitted from the media being allowed into US courts and are there still some courts that the media are not allowed into?

Will this be a good idea for the UK courts to follow?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In general, the media does not promote justice, it helps destroy it.

Media is not in the business of presenting evidence or making reasoned, well thought out articles.  It is in the business of selling the news and the requires sensationalism, a "hook" to stir emotions and draw people to buy the newspaper or whatever it is.  And emotional responses do not produce reasoned conclusions, they produce anger, hate and a mob mentality.  The antithesis of justice.

Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I see what you are saying wilderness, in the case of both the family court and the court of protection though there is complete secrecy is this then also a bar to true justice?

Not sure what you mean by a family court or a "court of protection".

But I'm not real concerned with the whole "justice" thing, either.  Call me different or weird, but that concept has always reeked of revenge to me, and revenge generally does more harm than good.  Harm to an already injured person, mind you.

So our "justice" system needs to be about training and protection, not revenge against lawbreakers.  Training people how to live in our society and protecting society from those that don't learn.

So you are not in favour of victim support them Wilderness?

Part of the healing process for victims is that the criminal is locked up.

It seems the liberal thinkers don't think the victims of crime count!

If a victim thinks they have a "need" for revenge then no, I am not particularly in support of that.  I repeat: revenge generally does more harm than good.

Love that liberal thing; I can't remember ever being considered a liberal!

Each case is different isn't it Wilderness, does the victim have a right to feel the need for revenge in the case of a child stealing a few sweets from his/her shop, no I don't think so. But ask me if the victim has a right to feel the need for revenge if his children are killed by a paedophile then I would have to say they have every right too.
                Anyway I prefer to substitute the word revenge for punishment, should we as a society seek to punish those who wish to live outside of societies rules.

1. John Holden profile image60
                  John Holdenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The courts you mention have no jurisdiction over the things that you mention in this post.
                  They are purely civil.

I know John but wilderness was on about revenge.

The courts I mentioned in the OP are shrouded in secrecy. That was the reason why I posted what Sir James Munby was proposing.

Maybe I should have explained to Wilderness that the family courts decide on family matters like whether children should be removed from their parents and that the protection courts decide whether people need protecting from their families and others.

2. wilderness profile image95

Silver, it is normal for people to want revenge; it starts at a very young age when your older sibling snatches your candy and gobbles it up.

But wanting revenge and acting on that want are two very different things - it's a part of why we have courts that you are not allowed to act.  But it goes further than that, IMO, when the results of taking revenge are played out on the victim.  When we lock someone away for 50 years, to forever see nothing but a jail cell, it is an immense cruelty; far more than any individual should ever enforce on another.  And truthfully, how many victims would, for 50 years, find solace in gloating every day at the plight of their aggressor?  Would you be comfortable being close to such a person?

So give no one revenge for their suffering; let society shoulder the burden of punishing a wrongdoer.  And punishment hurts the punisher as much as the one being punished; anyone that has ever punished their children (properly) knows this all too well.  It is only in the midst of great anger that anyone can enjoy punishing another - the exact time it should not be done.

I still think wanting vengeance and expecting criminals to be punished are two different things, as you say that's why we have the courts.

2. profile image0
                Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I thought that response was a little off myself.

2. Credence2 profile image80
      Credence2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Only conservatives see the media as promoting rabble rousing. I want everyone held accountable for their actions as public servants. Oversight by the media is one of those tools. There was a reason those wise founding fathers promoted the revolutionary idea of 'freedom of the press'. Are conservatives afraid of the free dissemination of information, or were we just to believe Richard Nixon when he said that he was not a crook?

"Only conservatives see the media as promoting rabble rousing."

That's because all liberals have chosen to live by spin rather than truth and fact.  Neither wanting nor using facts, they prefer to live in their personal fantasy world where the "truth" is whatever they want it to be.  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118342

There is, you know, a difference between free dissemination of information and the liberal style of free dissemination of lies and spin.

(Isn't it neat when the world is black or white, liberal or conservative, democrat or republican?)

1. Credence2 profile image80

A free press, with perspectives across the ideological and political perspective would solve that problem. You do your research and the truth can be sorted out for those looking in earnest for it.  People have unsubstantiated biases about liberal opinion. We certain are familiar with rightwing spin, all that birther stuff and the like. Where does that come from? I enjoy the options of checking through a variety of perspectives of a story. I am not afraid of the availability of this.

2. GA Anderson profile image83
        GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Rabble rousing? Interesting perspective. I would have thought that more applicable to the days of pamphlateering. I would have thought those nasty conservatives viewed the media more as influence-peddlers than rabble rousers.

But to the OP's question - seems like a middle ground arrangement would be most appropriate. The transparency of coverage, but not the media circus of minute by minute video broadcast

GA

True, GA, but in the real world, I will always feel comfortable with more media coverage rather than less, it helps to keep everybody honest. I am sure that conservatives say that the 'so called" liberal media is perverting American public opinion. But that could well be an excuse for deficits in this ideological point of view on its face. Don't dirty the laundry and there will be no need to fear about it being hanged out

That would be true if the media presented real coverage, but they don't.  Remember the editing of the Zimmerman tapes to insinuate racism - our media presents news that it thinks will sell and hang the truth.  Spin it, twist it, flat out lie: all that matters is does it sell. 

Add in that nearly everything said anymore is actually an editorial statement and all that's left is the rabble rousing.

Again, the term 'real coverage' is matter of perspective, or what it is you are looking for or want to hear. There was that insane Fox story about the President visiting India over year ago and costing tax payers in the billions. I get that kind of stuff from Fox all of the time.

Fox News: Proud recipient of the Ted Baxter Award for excellence in journalism.

Yep.  Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS and all the rest.  The only difference is the slant applied, but do note that having a liberal slant is no better than a conservative one.  It's still spinning the coverage and making it a spin you like does not make it either right or useful.

This is one statement where we are in total agreement

Please Credence - you're going to give me a heart attack, sitting right here at the keyboard!

Agreeing with a liberal!  My friends and family both will disown me! big_smile

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 10 years ago

The media - what they report -  is a reflection of what the people want.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)