Should Social Media Have Th Power of Censorship

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (32 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image81
    GA Andersonposted 3 years ago

In light of the recent Twitter/facebook NY Post censorship controversy, and as a nod to Savvydating's thought about the current power of Social Media, (read; facebook, Twitter, Google), I have some thoughts about the power of our predominate social media networks..

But first, these thoughts aren't about the truth or falsity of the NY Post 'Biden emails' controversy, but it is about the social media's power to censor the public discussion of political topics.

As a Baby Boomer fossil, my view is that social media platforms have become very dangerous, primarily because of our post-Baby Boomer generations' reliance and trust on and in those platforms for their news and opinion-forming information.

I say there is no argument that the 3 big social media platforms are very Liberal-biased. I also say that just as Conservatives are accused of accepting Right-leaning outlets like, Fox News, Limbaugh, and Alex Jones, as gospel truth, the younger-than-Baby-Boomers accept what they see on facebook and Twitter as gospel truth.

But, I see a difference. Conservatives have to go looking for Fox News, Limbaugh, and Jones, whereas today's generations are living on the social media platforms and don't have to go looking anywhere for stuff that is just as non-truthful as what the Conservatives have to seek out.

All of that was just setting the stage for a question. Do you believe the communication and censorship power of the big social media outlets, (Twitter, facebook, and Google), are a danger to our Constitutionally governed America?

We all know that most folks accept what they read, (wherever they read it), as either true or false, (depending on their bias), without ever checking to see if they are right. So, if our 'newer' generations live every day on the social media platforms, and what they are given for information is censored to fit a particular bias, is our nation's structure in danger because of the power of these platforms?

Obviously, I think it is. I think the power of these platforms is dangerous to the future of our nation, as Constitutionally structured, but, are my thoughts just those of an extinct dinosaur that thinks folks should think for themselves? Is the concept of our nation as a Republic, rather than a democratic nation now passe'?

GA

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Before you made this post, did you check to see if there is evidence of your assumptions, particularly the one about younger generations relying on social media platforms for their news?

1. IslandBites profile image91
        IslandBitesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Or that apparently "today's generations" are all liberals.

GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Come on Island Mom. There was no Liberal or Conservative intent in my comment. What prompted you to think there was?

On this particular idea, I would say one is as bad as the other in accepting something solely because it fit their ideology.

But, to your "today's generations" are all liberals.' thought, Hmm . . .  ;-)

GA

I also say that just as Conservatives are accused of accepting Right-leaning outlets like, Fox News, Limbaugh, and Alex Jones, as gospel truth, the younger-than-Baby-Boomers accept what they see on facebook and Twitter as gospel truth.

But, I see a difference. Conservatives have to go looking for Fox News, Limbaugh, and Jones, whereas today's generations are living on the social media platforms and don't have to go looking anywhere for stuff that is just as non-truthful as what the Conservatives have to seek out.

Hmm . . . Yep, that was a stage-setting comment, but, my point was to the acceptance of such thoughts.

However, I definitely have a bias, so maybe you are right. Maybe I am pointing the finger more at the youth generations because they 'live' on the social media platforms. They don't have to "go looking" for stuff to fit their bias.

GA

2. GA Anderson profile image81

Nope, I didn't check to see if my perception of the younger generation's reliance on social media for their information was reasonable truth.

It was simply a perception based on what I hear from my own kids, and, what I see in the headlines and media. Do you think that perception is wrong?

GA

For the most part, yes. There's not much data, but the one there is says you are.

Ha! Big deal. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. But, I still don't think I am. Are you saying there is data that says those youth generations, (post-baby boomers), don't rely, almost solely, on the social media platforms for their news and opinion-forming information?

GA

You should check out a study from Princeton. There is also a Pew Research Center one. I read about a UK study (yes, is a general age thing).

Okay, in fairness, I will take a look at those.

GA

2. Credence2 profile image80
          Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think that the perception may well be wrong, unfair and applying a broad brush.

Inquiring minds can still do the heavy lifting and properly sort out the details regarding the issues of the day if they really want to, beyond social media platforms.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

They can do the heavy lifting...if they want to and if they will accept a fact they don't like or that reforms their view of the world.

But therein lies the rub; so few "inquiring minds" want to do the heavy work and even fewer will acknowledge facts they don't want to hear.

2. peterstreep profile image81
      peterstreepposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Social media is already censored. Thousands of underpaid workers are deleting beheading, rape and stuff you don't want to think about from social media.
      Every newspaper censors, so why not the social media?
      Fake news and conspiracy theories should be given less space on the social media then facts and proper research.
      Social media is already censored by smart algorithms.
      If I look at my Facebook page I do not find extreme right-wing fascism news. But surely it will be around those social media the militia groups use.
      The internet targets you, knows what you buy, like and where your interests are. Nothing new.
      What should be done is educate people how to handle the internet. How to spot fake news. How to spot ungrounded opinions. To spot hidden racism and hatred. And act upon it.

"I say there is no argument that the 3 big social media platforms are very Liberal-biased. "
      ??
      Didn't get this one. Do you mean that it is beyond doubt that the social media is very Liberal- biased? If so, then I have to dispute that strongly GA.
      If you mean to say that no argument exists that say the the Social Media is Liberal-biased, then I'm with you.
      Social media is input output. If you look for left-wing political stories, you will get them in your recommended box. If you look for right wing stories, you will get them too.
      If you look for cats, you find them in all colours.

"Do you mean that it is beyond doubt that the social media is very Liberal- biased? "

Yep, that is what I meant to say. From my perspective, and I understand that yours is different, the actions of the top 3 social media platforms are very liberal-biased.

I recently heard a blurb, (I have no idea if it is true, but it does fit my bias), that 80% of the top 3 platform's employees were Democrat donors. But wait, I understand how shady that claim might be, so I only accept it as agreeing with my thoughts, not as truth.

Then I consider the #woke movement, and the topics that Twitter and facebook have censored or notated, and yes, whether it is because it fits my bias or whether because it is true, I do think it could be factual that the top 3 media platforms are Liberal-biased.

What you see in your "feed" is a separate thing. That comes from the smart algorithms you mention acting on your search and access information.

Also, it is my opinion that the "beheadings and rapes" censorship is not the same ideological thing as Conservative vs. Liberal thing.

GA

Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Twice! I just lost two Pulitzer-worthy long replies to your comment Peterstreep. A pox on the HP coders that certainly should be able to fix this problem!

Must I check every ten minutes to be sure that what I type won't be lost because I have been inactively logged-on for too long? And why the hell can't it simply be a back-arrow solution instead of completely losing the typed content?

You hear me HP? A pox on your coders! Fix this damn problem!

As for my reply to you Peterstreep—we both lose. I won't try to recreate my response for a third time. I simply disagree with your comment. Maybe when I calm down I might try to offer the reasons why.

GA

1. peterstreep profile image81
          peterstreepposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for replying GA.
          I know the feeling of loosing a well articulated response. Happened to me too several times. Hubpages could definitely upgrade this forum, feels like it is from 10 years ago.
          At least the writing down helped you to organise your thoughts GA, if this gives you any consolation. (Prob not..)
          Take care

Ha! Organize my thoughts . . . now that there's funny,I don't care who you are.

The last time my thoughts were organized I ended up getting married. So much for that idea.;-)

GA

3. Credence2 profile image80

GA,

Censorship is always going to be resisted by yours truly. People can find the truth if they do choose to investigate further. Conservatism is not always popular among a larger swath of younger people who use the new media.

Do we want to the Internet to be regulated as to content and placed under the auspices of the FCC like they did with broadcast media? Not me. If conservatives complain, it is because they fear that people are being influenced in a way that they cannot control.

I will trust that people can think for themselves and it is both a Democracy and a Republic.

Outside of the required dig at conservations (always a good thing, right?) I'm with you on this one.  While social media posts ARE doing a good deal of harm, and while younger people DO take it as gospel, it is something we're going to have to live with.  Censorship is a last resort, always - far better to spend an hour a day in the classroom teaching our next generation just how stupid and false social media is if that's what it takes.

(Perhaps if we can actually teach our children to think for themselves that nasty Democrat party will then fade into the past and disappear entirely big_smile)

1. Credence2 profile image80

"Perhaps if we can actually teach our children to think for themselves that nasty Democrat party will then fade into the past and disappear entirely"

Au contraire, mon frere.....

Hey, what's fair for one is good for another, right?  Just like the SCOTUS nominations?  lol

Truly, though, the little smily face was supposed to say "I'm just poking fun and not being serious!"

But, whether the bias is Liberal or Conservative, what is the result when folks don't choose to "investigate further"?

I am with you, I don't want censorship of any kind, and in today's world, I am seeing censorship of the Liberal-kind. And it is my perception that that censorship is the work of the Big 3 social media platforms.

GA

I have to accept certain realities, I can lead a horse to water....

People, as citizens, have an obligation to properly educate themselves. It borders on the authoritarian to think that people need to be controlled or they would be in danger of obtaining incorrect information from the wrong sources. I would not be so bold as to make that assertion about any adult and his or her ability to reason.

If I am not satisfied with information from the social media platforms, I am free to take my investigation elsewhere.

4. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Here is a link to the Executive Order regarding Censorship on social media platforms.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential … ensorship/

Supposedly it prevents it. I read through it, yet haven't researched its meaning since I get lost in the mumbo-jumbo

Thanks for the link tsmog. As I read it, it is just an ideological statement with no teeth or fundamental actions.

The best to be hoped for is that it will prod the appropriate agencies to reevaluate the appropriateness of the Sec. 230 protections from lawsuits that these platforms enjoy. They have become publishers—by their censorship actions—and should be held liable as such.

GA

5. Sharlee01 profile image86
      Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Is our nation's structure in danger because of the power of these platforms? In my view, Yes...

Could you be an extinct dinosaur that thinks folks should think for themselves? I don't think so. Our generation was well thought to think for ourselves, were we not? We were encouraged to think things out, and make decisions on our thoughts, and to reevaluate our thoughts if necessary.

"Is the concept of our nation as a Republic, rather than a democratic nation now passe'?"  For some, this election will be a better indicator of where the country is headed and help to answer your question.

I agree, and regarding this election, I think the impetus of the Democrats is to disregard the "Republic" part of our nation's concept.

GA

This is going back to the EC issue that we spoke of before?

I am so glad that we locked in the policy that Electors could not vote independently and that their votes must reflect the corresponding numbers of the popular votes in their respective states.

It will be one less loophole Trump would be trying to thread to win reelection without really winning.

LOL  As I recall, it was the liberals frothing at the mouth to find "faithless" electors they could bend to their will, not Trump.  He didn't need to, after all.

2. Sharlee01 profile image86
          Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

We agree...  The Constitution may be obsolete if Biden wins. Plus,  If the Dems should take the majority in Congress along with Biden in the WH.  We as baby boomers could witness many changes that some of us will find abhorrent.

It may even have some running for the borders. LOL

6. Ken Burgess profile image71
      Ken Burgessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It is the irresistible march into a new age.

The Industrial Revolution Era allowed humanity to have the society and civilization enjoyed for approximately the last 100 years.

Technology is pushing us into a new era, one where people will no longer drive, AI will drive the vehicles for us, where we no longer have physical currency but rather Digital Wallets and ultimately where what information is available to us, what the "truth" is has been filtered and censored.

The power and audacity of these platforms has been abundantly apparent in their ability to censor the POTUS without repercussions.

Where China has a One Party system that ultimately controls everything the people see and hear, what they believe, and with their Social Credit System what they are capable of doing in life....  America will have a Corporatocracy that defers to China and Controls politics and people through a collective effort.

This Corporatocracy is of course already in control of DC and is known as the "Establishment" they control Congress through donations, they control DC through people moving back and forth from Wall St. and Corporate Boards to Official Federal positions... be it the USDA or the Administrations' Cabinet they are people who set policy and control the mechanics of our government.

This is just the corporations using their influence and growing power to maintain control and try and rid the "disruptor" from the Oval Office.

Trump's Presidency has exposed far more of the mechanitions of our current system, and how little the People's will really means to it, than would have ever been apparent had he never become President.

And more amazingly, it has exposed many components of the Left for not just wanting to maintain the "establishment" as it is, but to do away with pesky things like the Constitution and Capitalism all together.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)