The Obama Presidency: Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)
  1. A.Villarasa profile image60
    A.Villarasaposted 9 years ago

Into the 6th year of his presidency, Obama, at this juncture, should be enjoying the "fruits of his labor". Should, but he isn't, so the question begs to be asked: "Why is he not looking into the sunset of his presidency with great aplomb, alacrity and grace?"

From the hoopla (Greek columns, adoring crowds, Hollywood soundtrack etc.) during his coronation in Denver as the Democratic Presidential candidate and his subsequent  election to the White House to the now not only lame but visibly  crippled presidency, the transition/transformation could not be more stunningly insipid.

The Messiah that Barbara Walters and the millions of adulators once hoped him to be, is  now nailed on the cross of his own narcissistic making. A sight not to behold but to bewitch, bother and bewilder.

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

The very nature of the makes it impossible to please everyone. I asked the same question of GW Bush, where was his aplomb, alacrity and grace in 2006. He did leave office in heaps of glory,  as the curtain came down on him during the worst economic downturn since the thirties.

A.Villarasaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Trying to please everyone is an impossible and in most instances a thankless job. That is not  what we are expecting a president to do.

What we do ask,  is for him to lead and in the process of leading, aim for and  achieve the common good, unhampered by ideology and political gamesmanship.

Unfortunately, Obama's ideology and penchant for political gamesmanship has led us not to the common good but to an uncommom divisiveness that we've not seen in the nation's  almost 400 years of  existence.

2. rhamson profile image72
        rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Comparisons will certainly abound as Obama rides off into the sunset. It is disingenuous to collapse all of his domains. Obama came in on the beginnings of an economy in collapse, two unfunded wars and unemployment rising at historic proportions only surmounted by the Great Depression. Add to that an opposition party that splintered into ultra conservative factions tied at the hip with mainstream colleagues who vowed to promise a single term which has now recently given up on impeachment.

I wonder how Lincoln would have handled this. Maybe a suspension of a writ of habeas corpus?

"Rides off into the sunset" is better used in the context of  someone who has triumphed over most if not all adversities thrown at him during his tenure. The truth/reality is, both Bush and Obama did not triumph over anything having been hampered by their almost obsessive compulsion to protect and defend and secure the needs and demands of their respective political base.

2. maxoxam41 profile image65
    maxoxam41posted 9 years ago

Bush, Obama they are all puppets of the elite, are you still doubting?

I don't doubt the fact that these 2 presidents were elected to lead. Now, you and I and a host of other folks who are interested in these matters may agree, or disagree for that matter, on what defines a good leader. Bush, at least tried to be a leader, but in most instances may have over-reached beyond his capabilities to do so. Obama, on the other hand, never tried.... thus the term "leading from behind" has stuck to him like a leech sucking his blood to the point of incoherence and incompetence.

No, Bushwacker was ridiculous, Obama tried to be a leader as well, your perspective tilts toward the right, so how can I expect you to be objective?

I vote independently of both political parties, so the idea that I tilt to the right is a misconception and misrepresentation on my views.

You may vote independently, but your opinion as expressed here is hyper conservative.

Hyper-conservative?  Well if you agree that a majority of Americans are leaning on the conservative side, then I suppose, I'm actually mainstream... and your  ideas  are not. The reason why the liberalist view is more vocal is because  the main-stream media give more credence and receptivity to it.

1. rhamson profile image72
                rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It might also be that the media pays more attention because it is ..well...news! The Tea Party and the extreme right are a simple bunch to follow. Whatever is to be suggested or moved upon is met with a resounding NO! Not much to cover in that case.

I too am an independent and am constantly am told that I am a flaming liberal because I may agree with a few points made by liberals on issues. It is the all or nothing syndrome that pervades the vernacular in this country and frankly it is worthless in getting anything done. I talk to both sides of the issues and try to find common ground. I do this because if I sit home and search out and exclusively band with people who unequivocally share my views I will learn nothing. Complacency is equivalent to death, nothing progresses.

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 9 years ago

Obama's policies have been his own downfall and now , His Immigration action is going to further distance  the right from the left . Listen  he sold himself to eighteen to twenty four  year old -one time voters to get elected !  He played  community organizer at the national level  instead of leading the free world ! Ignoring the massive problems facing America today . "Lame duck " is how he ends his  time at the throne , yet in reality , that's how he began as well !  Given the congressional and senatorial support he could have  utilized ?- He has fallen face first

Now that Obama is seriously thinking of using his pen to undercut the democratic/constitutional  process, by granting amnesty to 6 million illegal immigrants without congressional approval... could the country at large, tolerate such  presidential lawlessness?

The main stream media have been mostly silent about this issue, notwithstanding what  constitutional analysts  say that such action is an impeachable offense.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)