jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (16 posts)

Two States In Israel

1. tirelesstraveler profile image82
    tirelesstravelerposted 2 years ago

After visiting Israel, landing there the day after the cease fire last summer, I got a view of the geography of Israel.  The geography of Israel is important. Israel is a TINY nation. 270 miles from end to end, 70 miles at its widest and 9 miles at the narrowest point.  .
    When I was a little girl our Boston family didn't understand the geography of California.  " San Francisco is just up the road from Los Angeles isn't it?"
    " Well, 'No' it's 400 miles and the roads aren't that good."  (1960s)
    They just didn't understand the geography of our area.
    New Hampshire was just up Route 1 from Gramma's in Massachusetts.  We are all guided by our experiences and frame of references.
    There can be two states in Israel, but if the enemies of Israel want to  abolish the country, Palestinian is going to be annihilated too.  The county just isn't that big.  It is comprised of 8,522 square miles.  It is the 142 on the list of largest counties in the world (192 countries total).  By the way Russia is number 1 with 6.6 million square miles.  The US  and Canada are 2 and 3 with about 3.8 million square miles each. 
    The fight is over a land about the size of New Jersey

1. rhamson profile image77
      rhamsonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Wrong. The fight is over ideology thousands of years old.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image82
        tirelesstravelerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Your reply got me thinking about the word ideology.  I looked it up ideology; the word is fascinating. Thanks you so much.

2. RBJ33 profile image60
        RBJ33posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it interesting that this conflict is thousands of years old?  Thousands of years and people can't solve this problem - like so many others.  What does that say about the human race?  Are we really "rational animals?"  Are we really so intelligent?

Greed is a motivator. I think it rivals the oldest profession in the world.

1. RBJ33 profile image60

I agree, but most of these conflict have to do with religion, or ego.

Ego is so connected to greed. But I believe the politics which are purposely intertwined with the religion on both sides make it impossible for them to objectively come to a amicable agreement. This is one of many  things about the Constitution I am grateful for.

1. RBJ33 profile image60

Impossible?  Nothing is impossible if you set ego aside and do what's best. I don't understand your reference to the constitution !!!!!!!

The Constitution guarantees the division between religion and state in the US. Both Israel and the Palestinians want their religious views involved with any solution. While the world powers argue over who has what rights and where, they are trumped by the religion card.

1. RBJ33 profile image60

Okay rhmson.  I see what you are saying, however our Constitution  is so open to interpretation, but it does throw religion - but we still deal with religion in our politics.

2. Alexanderjwright profile image73
    Alexanderjwrightposted 2 years ago

The size of the land may not be very big, but the size of the issue is huge. Stakes, interests, actions - everything has meaning and consequences. Balanced approach is practically impossible - for you are either seen as a Zionist or an antisemetic. There's no place for peace-makers

The Shiites and Sunnis want to have it out in a civil war. We keep stepping in with our two cents trying to either find a political ally or solution. The US is not trusted beginning with the establishment of Israel, the deposing of the Iranian Democratic government and re installation of the Shah to invading Iraq and overthrowing their government by force. Why can't we just let them fight this fight on their own?

1. Alexanderjwright profile image73
        Alexanderjwrightposted 2 years agoin reply to this

International support is always necessary, and US leads these supports. Their role as police officer of the world may be slightly outdated but it's good to know it's always there, whether active or in shadows. I agree political interest has always been a key driving factor for US and at times, they've accelerated conflicts rather than closing them down.

What I would say is that slowly the tide is shifting: Israel-US relationship is not as strong as it was under Bush and previous administrations. Good thing? Let's wait and see

The US has no credibility with these countries as we change Presidents every four to eight years and Congress keeps interjecting itself with inconsistent policy changes. If we were the worlds policemen we would be more present in Africa where millions have died in ethnic cleansing and shifting international lines wars. We pick and choose in what seems to be choices that don't fall in line with our own ethics and political agendas. This can be easily seen in covert operations that go against our principles. For instance overthrowing and installing dictators where democracies once stood. ie. Iran & Iraq.

working