Donald vs. Hillary

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (61 posts)
  1. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 8 years ago

Please, explain to me how we are barreling down this course?

Polls show that the majority of the country does not like Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton, nor do they trust either of them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ri … d-clinton/

We may be faced with a wtf choice in the general election. Either way, this country will be worse for the wear once the election is over. We will be more divided than we ever were.

What does it all mean, other than it appears that the majority of the electorate may not be thinking clearly at this moment?

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

It means that there is a level of desparation and frustration in our society not seen in past years. It now overrides evaluation of the qualities that we used to use to determine 'presidential timber'. Depending upon your political perspective, you vote for the lesser of 2 or more evils. While, at one time we all marched basically to the same drummer with both political parties on the same page. The divisions today are more extreme. 

During other trying times there are examples in history; Huey Long during the 1930's and George Wallace in the 1960's

Live to Learnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's what I think too. But, desperation and frustration should drive us to either of these?

I don't know. If they get the nominations, I see this as the beginning of the end. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. We have to have a shake up in the way we think and the way we move into our collective future. I suppose one of these schmucks, as president, may make us realize if we don't unify as a people the likes of this is all we deserve.

2. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Would you be comfortable explaining what "wtf" means?

GA

Very descriptive regarding the circumstance, breaking it down might not be appropriate for mixed company.

2. Live to Learn profile image60

Similar to fubar.

1. GA Anderson profile image89

Sorry for my reaction, but my personal opinion is that the use of the f-term is demeaning to anyone that uses it. I really do get upset when faced with situations where folks think it is a normal part of conversation. If it is so appropriate to the sentiment, why hide behind acronyms and hyphens, why not just say it?

ps. as an ex-Navy guy, I didn't like fubar as a normal part of conversation either. Give me a "damn" and a "hell" anytime, any company, but save your f-words for private times.

GA

1. wilderness profile image93
            wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You must not be around 20-somethings much.  Seems more using "and" or "the" to them. Or maybe "blue" or "big" would be more accurate. sad

Your second sentence lost me. But yes, it is the common usage and even worse the normalcy of hearing it in the 20-something crowd that set me off on its use in the first place.

It just doesn't seem right that it should be viewed as an acceptable part of general conversation - to me anyway. Guess I am just a 1/2 Repub old fogey - "too white and too uptight"

GA

Or, like me, just too old.  It was a curse word when I was young, but seldom used.  Too "bad" for common use, and reserved for very special circumstances.

Yep, my background exactly.

GA

Yep.  Just a couple of old geezers, too old to know how to talk right today.  Oh well, I'll stick with my version of the Kings English.

Interesting that there are degrees of acceptability there, in your eyes. I would think a curse word was a curse word, was a curse word. I see them all as equally capable of describing a level of frustration, when no amount of logical thought could explain how one would be presented with two such choices, yet a choice must be made. I suppose, each generation has their idea of what word is worse. I only brought up the second because I assumed, from your comments, that you had been in the military of some sort and were somewhat sincere in the question. After, retrospect, I believe you have enough experience on the internet to know what the acronym stood for. Was the question simply an attempt to grandstand?

Perhaps you could share an acronym that might more succinctly describe what a choice such as the one envisioned in this thread would elicit in the voting booth?

1. profile image0
              jonnycomelatelyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it strange that we often here a swear word uttered in some way to disguise it?   It might just an initial letter, or a slightly different sound/shaped word, but we all know what was meant.

Even more strange is that even the most outwardly offended person also knows what word was implied and, presumably knows the meaning of the word.....yet is not allowed to own up to knowing!

Who is going to punish us for using such words?  And what is the punishment likely to be?  Do we hurt anyone by swearing?   Maybe....I don't know.

And, as has been asked, are there any substitute words that don't cause offense, yet convey our meaning precisely?

The word manure was once not allowed in mixed company here in the states. The history of language allowed in mixed company would be a fascinating topic.

I don't believe there is a substitute acronym that would fully describe the jaw dropping nature of the end of the journey we appear to be headed for. Perhaps GA can share one. Something short enough to be thought in the voting booth by the average citizen. It would have to be some type of acronym. Not too long a train of thought to make those in line waiting for the booth suffer any irritation.

Either way. We do all enjoy a high horse from time to time. I'm certainly not innocent of using the forums to share reactions to other people's posts when I think their comments have offended my sensibilities, or my sense of propriety. However, I never expected either of these two to be taken seriously either.

2. GA Anderson profile image89

Not an attempt to grandstand, just an attempt to get you to think about the usage. Hence the qualifier "comfortable." Of course you could explain, but would you feel comfortable doing it? Yes, there are degrees in my mind.

As for the voting booth choice... hmm... a couple descriptive phrases come to mind, but no acronyms.

GA

Well then. Do share.

3. profile image0

In reverse I think it means, "fun to watch."

There you go! I like your perspective.

GA

3. profile image0

For any Hubbers in Australia, this could be a very valuable time for reflection.
      Here we have a Head of State who is, at the same time, also Head of State of The United Kingdom.  It's not that the Sovereign has any internal influence over our affairs.  Just the final signature when decisions about our lives are made.
      It's a Statutary Office, held strictly above politics, there in order to give "Royal Ascent" to Acts presented and agreed to by and within Parliament  (The People).   It's also above the popular rancor of "Hollywood Style"  theatricals like we get loaded with by the media.   
      It is not our Prime Minister who is Head of State.  He or she holds an elected Office and must be answerable to one who is (ideally) impartial and a-political.
      This makes for a much more stable and resilient process, in my opinion.
      I hope those who push for a republic in Australia, with a popularly-elected Head of State, take note of the events evolving in the United States. 
      Our system in Australia is not perfect but it's got a lot to benefit us if we keep cool, calm and consential heads.  At least we have a wealth of history and experience, plus protective processes in place, that can be brought to bear in all manner of situations ----  without spending billions of dollars on olligarchy evry 4 years.

Not a fan of the idea of a monarchy. We're Americans, you know. Been there, done that, threw their tea in the ocean.

4. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am as perplexed as you, but I don't think it's the "majority of the electorate" who would choose either Hillary or Trump.  I stated this somewhere else, but I think once the GOP field narrows to Trump vs. one candidate, Trump will lose.  I think he appeals to that 35% that's always pissed off about something (oops, I said "pissed"), but doesn't hold much appeal for the thinking conservative.

As far as Bernie vs. Hillary, I'm not sure who will end up on top, but I have a feeling too many people feel uneasy about Hillary and Democratic voters will eventually swing to Bernie, just like they did to Obama in 2008.   Bernie versus Trump or Cruz would be an easy Bernie win.  Bernie versus Rubio or Kasich would be harder for Bernie to pull off.  Hillary versus any one of them would be trouble for Hillary.  Just my opinions based on looking at the polling and likability factors of all the candidates.

I do hope you are right.

5. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just watch the nightly news and you will be privy to the distortions and ridiculous reasoning's that form many opinions and fear. I don't know how many times I have heard a news anchor say "let us tell you what all of this means". NO! Don't tell me what it means! Give me the facts so I can deduce the meaning on my own. But we plod along listening and believing what they report and never hear what they don't report.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

"too white and too uptight"
      Yep, lol

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 8 years ago

Jeez - What happened to the original question?

1. profile image0

.....ask a politician.   They have a way with words.  smile

lol

4. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

I read the whole thread, and was not suggesting that GA or yourself was arguing. If that was the case I would have been direct or stayed out of it completely.  Sorry you took that as saying something that I did not.

"I've had to listen to a lot of chatter myself, so I suppose you weren't put out more than I was slogging though those volumes I was forced to be privy to." 

I have no idea what you are talking about there...you lost me, m'dear.

5. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 8 years ago

All this over the use of "wtf." 

ROFLMAO.  big_smile

Sometimes the F bomb is the perfect expression of a feeling or thought.  Words have power, though, as evidenced by this thread.

You'd think some haven't been on the internet, except in here. I spent most of last night in a 'wtf' fact site amazed at some of the stuff I was reading. I'm glad I wasn't put off by the name.

On the up side, just using the acronym allowed one hubber to learn volumes about me. How cool is that?

1. profile image0

Don't you know? You can say a lot of hateful things on these forums as long as you say them politely. It works especially well if you use pretty words and indirect innuendo.  You can tell outright lies, too.  Just make sure you spread your falsehoods with refined and deferential language. Then, when you get called on it, you can claim that you treat everyone with respect and deserve the same in return.  ;-)

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of that here.

2. Quilligrapher profile image72
          Quilligrapherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Whoa! Are you telling me that people tell outright lies and say hateful things on these forums??? I find that hard to believe. ;-)
          http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

1. profile image0

Hi Quill, whenever I am being sarcastic or "disrespectful," I think of you and how good you are at patiently cutting through people's BS, in a nice way.  Then, I think, screw it, I could never be as good as Quill.  LOL

1. Quilligrapher profile image72
              Quilligrapherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

How nice of you to be so kind. Thank you. Your voice adds persuasive, sound reasoning when it is most needed. The liars will never apologize nor will the shills acknowledge their real agenda. But, never underestimate the positive impact you have on the readers who never make their presence known.
              http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

1. profile image0

Thank you.  :-)

6. Alternative Prime profile image57
    Alternative Primeposted 8 years ago

In REALITY, the differences between Donald Trump & Hillary Clinton are nearly INFINITE, but in short, here is a brief summary ~

Donald Trump is a Publicity Starved Crazy Bigot with Racist Tendencies, I don't think anyone would deny that assessment and it really shouldn't make much of a difference in the Republican Primary Race but it will in the General Election, while on the FLIPSIDE, Hillary Clinton is Intelligent, Wise & The Most QUALIFIED to be President of the United States ~ smile

Agree on the assessment of Trump. To the rest lol lol

And yet I don't see Trump as "publicity starved" - he has enough for 10 people.  Nor is he "crazy" or, with that publicity, he would be locked away by now.  I don't think he is particularly racist or a bigot - it's a part of his publicity program to garner attention (and works!) and not him.  I hope.

1. colorfulone profile image78
          colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12892090.jpg

These two lovely ladies are at most of Donald Trump's events.
          They go by Diamond and Silk and are a special treat and a real joy. 
          Cute as cute can be!

Yes, an obvious racist, isn't he?

Wilderness, there are exceptions to every rule. This has got to be a piece of photoshop fakery. For every two people like this there are a thousand that are not amused, and find the candidate troubling.

Pretty pictures do not replace his policy positions and declared statements.

A quick search shows the two as avid Trump supporters, but did not mention any other connection.  Still, I stand by what I said - that I haven't seen any real reason to declare Trump a racist.  Trump has presented himself as a redneck idiot, which he most definitely is NOT, so why would anyone think that his supposed racism is any better?

I will try to avoid throwing the term 'racist' around in a cavalier fashion. Here is an op-ed from the Washington Post, about as mainstream as it gets.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions … story.html

Here is an article from the otherside have a look...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … -down.html

Nice!  The first one makes a lot of vague (and irrelevant) claims, but the only action they provide details for is when Trump called for the death penalty for “criminals of every age”, and then when cleared by DNA called their arrest a "disgrace".  If this is your definition of racism, you have a lot to learn.

The article also complains that he doesn't like illegal aliens or Muslims.  Again, if this is racism, you have much to learn.  Or even that Mexico sends their rapists to the US - nothing whatsoever to do with racism. 

It says he's "vulgar" to women - more racism?  And "had high-profile spats with prominent Latino journalists and news outlets" (just as he has had with nearly every other journalist) - does treating them all the same make him racist?  Must he become a racist by being careful to attack only his own race in order not to be racist?

While the author certainly doesn't like Trump, his vague but vitriolic rhetoric is at least as bad as what Trump does - why then take ANY of it to heart?

But the second link is even worse: the only racism in the article came from Emmanuel Cleaver, not Trump.

2. colorfulone profile image78

Diamond and Silk get their own time at Donald Trump events, the crowds love those two.  There are lots of photos online of them at Trump events. The photo I posted above was taken backstage after his big win in South Carolina.  They have become famous, and their business is prospering! 

Did you forget, it came up about D&S in another thread maybe two months ago? 

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12892189_f1024.jpg

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12892801.jpg

This is a photo of a Jewish man who actively participated in Hitler's war. (second row second from right) He even got an Iron Cross for his service). If I were to submit this as proof that Hitler didn't hate Jews would that change your opinion of the Holocaust? Or would you simply think I was being willfully obtuse.

Here is a link reporting that David Duke supported a black man for office. Does that prove David Duke isn't racist?

http://thegrio.com/2012/06/21/former-bl … avid-duke/

I could provide more. One picture or one act in direct contrast with repeatedly stated things does nothing but allow waters to be muddied for those who want to pretend reality is not what it is. Or, allow them to ignore the fact that people are in jeopardy of getting hurt. 'I told you so' after this chump gets elected won't help.

1. profile image0

Her photo posted as evidence of Trump not being racist reminds me of the "but I have a black friend" rebuttal.  LOL

Edited to add:  I actually think Trump might not be racist, but he does like to make crazy, racist statements, which is bad enough.  If he doesn't mean them, why does he say them?  Either way, it's evidence of an extreme lack of character.

I do see the man as having mental problems. He does crave publicity and he does appear to me to be churlish if he doesn't feel that he has received it when he wants it.

And, that picture of him standing with two black women and claiming that proves a lack of racism. All that proves is that those two women  support Trump. Of course he would be willing to take a photo with them. He'd take a photo with anyone who furthered his bid to be president. Either way saying he isn't racist is little more than arguing about the difference in meaning of racist, prejudiced and bigot.

7. Alternative Prime profile image57
    Alternative Primeposted 8 years ago

Until recently, I've always tried to remain IMPARTIAL / Neutral regarding Donald Trump, but sooner or later the truth must be known ~ This kind of NEWS probably won't hurt him a bit in the Republican Primary anyway ~ As a matter of FACT it might even GAIN him a ballot or two in certain upcoming states ~

As usual, I urge you to conduct your own SEARCH on the subject ~ There are several "Media Bits" just like the following published by CNN, HP, etc ~

https://news.vice.com/article/white-sup … l-campaign

8. colorfulone profile image78

LIVE Stream of Donald Trump's ally tonight in Las Vegas, Nevada.  He just walked on stage.  I can feel the energy!  10,000 people. 
    http://redstatewatcher.com/article.asp?id=7849

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12893747.jpg

Trump is #1 with the military and vets. 
    There are 22 veterans committing suicide per day.
    Veterans need the best care possible to man.

Trump = Nationalist
    Clinton = Globalist

9. colorfulone profile image78

U.S. JUDGE ORDERS DISCOVERY TO GO FORWARD OVER CLINTON’S PRIVATE EMAIL SYSTEM

Right about now I think all the other candidate might feel a little happier.
    Kind of sad it has to come to this, but she cannot be trusted as President.

Judaical Watch gets some amazing things done that no one else seems to be able to do, or they maybe don't care to... might be closer to the truth. 

http://www.infowars.com/u-s-judge-order … il-system/

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12893871.jpg

10. colorfulone profile image78

CNN is calling Donald Trump the GOP nominee winner after the Nevada win.  They are kind of making fun of the Trump haters and the GOP establishment I think, but hey they get what they deserve, right. 
    The truth hurts...

They are calling it a Trump vs Clinton race to the White House. Well, maybe Hillary will be going to the Big House instead.  smile   

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/24/opinions/ … index.html

Only Donald can beat Hillary, and I believe he will get it done!

It will be interesting to see what tactics Trump uses as his aim swings from republican voters to democratic ones.

And, of course, all of this is predicated on the assumption that the ruling party elite can't eject him.  We've seen Clinton's party take steps to assure her nomination: can the Republican Trump haters prevent his?  Stay tuned...

1. colorfulone profile image78

Trump is breaking all the taboos, wrecking the insiders, and changing the system forever as an outsider. Its just a manifestation of a larger political uprising of populism supporting Trump because people are sick and tried of the elites controlling everything in their favor and the favor of those who have bought them, and radical special interest groups they use and support. 

Trump cannot be bought! 

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12899280.jpg

Let everyone else be a liar...  wink  Its what they do best!

“I think the media is among the most dishonest groups of people I’ve ever met,” he said. “They’re terrible.”  --- I totally agree...  Disembowel them, Trump!   People deserve to hear the real news, truth.

1. rhamson profile image71
          rhamsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)