Trump is already reneging on his Obamacare promise

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (46 posts)
  1. profile image0
    promisemposted 7 years ago

He promised repeatedly during the campaign that he would kill the law. He even said he would call a special session of Congress right after his inauguration to kill it.

He is already reneging. LOL. Enjoy your new president.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trum … 1478895339

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13274151_f248.jpg

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"NEW YORK—President-elect Donald Trump said he would consider leaving in place certain parts of the Affordable Care Act, an indication of possible compromise after a campaign in which he pledged repeatedly to repeal the 2010 health-care law." From the above link

He has to compromise at this point. The uprising would be too much if he just stopped it cold. This issue and reality is going to be a dilemma, for sure.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well, if you hate the President, you must read very carefully, pick and choose what to repeat with a definite to promoting your hate and then twist what is left out of any semblance of truth.

But it IS a little surprising that the very headline of the link provided as support contradicts the OP so badly.

2. profile image0
        promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Excellent points, Kathryn. I agree that a slow transition is the responsible thing to do.

I'm just stunned that he would back off on his #1 campaign promise to kill Obamacare just days after the election.

3. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"Trump favors keeping the prohibition against insurers denying coverage because of patients' existing conditions, and provision that allows parents to provide years of additional coverage for children on their insurance policies."  (Wall Street Journal)

Both Republican plans had those provisions in them.

2. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

LOL. Thor is already losing his thunder.

Its called sound reasoning. Its based on wisdom. A slow transition is the best policy, of course.
        You don't stop an addict, cold.

1. profile image0

Agreed. However, Republicans in Congress have voted to repeal it over 60 times. Are they suddenly NOT going to repeal it now that they are finally running the show? Seems strange to me that they wouldn't go ahead and do what they've tried to do over 60 times already.

1. profile image0

I suspect there will be some very big battles between Trump and Congress despite the fact that they are all Republicans. Trump has made it clear that he fights hard and doesn't back down.

2. profile image0

He also has had high praise in the last two days for Obama, Hillary and Bill.

Maybe he is a closet Democrat after all.

maybe he will be pleasantly balanced! smile

1. profile image0

Are you saying you think he is a moderate?

2. profile image0

Now, wouldn't that be the best long game ever?

1. profile image0

Some of my Republican politician friends have mentioned that suspicion in the past.

And if you think about it, his attacks on Fox News add to that suspicion.

3. Credence2 profile image79
          Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is great, no less than the rightwinger deserves, we get spread the disappointment around...

1. profile image0

David Brooks, the most respected conservative columnist in the country, predicts the Republican Congress will impeach him within a year. because they want Pence in the Oval Office.

The political science scholar who has accurately predicted every presidential election since 1984 -- and who predicted Trump would win when all other experts said otherwise -- has predicted the same thing.

1. Credence2 profile image79

That is quite a prediction, even they should not be able to do that. Impeachment is based on commission of high crimes and misdemeanors. I will even fight for Trump in the face of political sabotage by a GOP led congress, who would take us in a direction that I would prefer not to go while Trump stands in their path.

1. profile image0

They will be able to do it if they prove any illegal behavior.

2. wilderness profile image96

Ah, but would you fight for Trump in the face of political sabotage by a DEM led coalition?  Or the entire congress, for that matter?

I see claims of 200 signatures on a request for electors to discard their ethics and pledges and vote Clinton.  Or to ignore laws requiring a Trump vote because the ballots are secret, meaning they can't be caught.  Will you fight that, or support the abuse of power and abrogation of ethics that put Trump in the office in the first place?

Right now the GOP is in charge of the machinery of power in Washington, so what Dem coalition?

The system is the system and Trump won under the proper and appropriate conditions. I can not discard the system merely because I do not like the outcome. That is what Republicans do , can not trump with that, no pun intended.

Yes, Again, 4 times in 200 years but twice in the last 16. Is this a trend that I am going to have to deal with more frequently? If that is a trend that is accelerating, that is a problem in regards to the Electoral College controversy.

I tend to think it is accelerating, but could very easily be wrong. 

But if it is, and if we do away with the tiny advantage the EC gives rural, I'm in most definite trouble.  In a very general sense, with lots of exceptions, my values are rural - if would kind of hurt to know that there is no reason for I or anyone but those with very liberal values to vote at all.  Rather than liberal vs conservative we would have liberal vs very liberal and a large percentage of America would be disenfranchised, left paying for the desires of the liberal and with no voice at all.  Eventually we'd see the whole breadbasket of America talking secession rather than just Texas and California.

3. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hello again promisem, I hope I didn't misread your comment, but it sounded to me to be more a jab, than a statement of fact, (which is was, if that was your intended point)

I know we still don't know, for sure, whether Trump is the Thor of the Right, or the closet democrat of the left, but given the interview quotes of your link, could you entertain this possible perspective;

He did say repeal and replace - simultaneously. Do you think either of us know whether a simultaneous replacement is even possible?

But, if you can separate obamacare from the concept of national health insurance, it is easier to consider the ACA on its merits - not the merits of national healthcare.

The ACA, (Obamacare), is a lousy law. Consider the early years problems and predictions that seem to be materializing now.

So, could you consider that Trump may have something in mind that would continue national healthcare coverage and still repeal the ACA? And if you could, then wouldn't he be doing exactly what he promised in the campaign - repeal Obamacare? And if so, wouldn't your recitation of the anti-Trump "he reneged" talking point also be as shallow as you are implying Trump is?

...just say'in

GA

1. profile image0

Hello, GA. I'm sincerely glad to hear from you, I'm not actually taking a jab at Trump. I'm simply shocked that he would change his message only days after the election.

To your point, I think parts of the ACA are lousy and parts are good. For example, do you believe someone should have their health insurance canceled when they become seriously ill? Do you think putting a cap on premiums for older people like us at a 3:1 ratio is reasonable?

What parts of the law do you oppose?

1. GA Anderson profile image89
          GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Ha! "...What parts of the law do you oppose?". Nope.

My point was I don't think it can be said that he has reneged yet. Consider his campaign pledge; he would repeal Obamacare and replace it with something better.

So, if you can entertain the possibility that I mentioned, is it accurate to say he has "reneged?" If not, then why did you do it? I intimated it was just a recitation of an anti-Trump "talking point." Was I wrong?

Now, to Obamacare. I do think the machinery is ill-fitted to the task, there are a lot of bad parts, but my biggest objection to Obamacare is the way it was passed. It was bought. America was strong-armed. The strong-arm tactics were public, (pressure tactics used to get votes in the media every night), and the price was proudly broadcast, (remember the senator that bragged the publicly rumored $300 million price was really $600 million for her state?)

GA

2. Live to Learn profile image62
    Live to Learnposted 7 years ago

Good lord liberals are such sore losers. I realize that it is a huge disappointment to you that he hasn't yet demanded that the presidential song be renamed Heil to the chief and anyone who doesn't offer the Nazi salute to be shipped to some gulag in Alaska, but can you at least be reasonable until he does?

I would think there is good and bad in everything. If he says he thinks some parts are in our best interest I'm certainly willing to see which ones he is talking about. Could you try to give anyone a break for a moment, at least, or is that too hard to do in your abject misery.

1. profile image0

Aw, but my brother-in-law, a non-college-educated white male, has been rabidly advocating the repeal of Obamacare for years! He was ecstatic that Trump was so adamant about repealing it. Republicans in Congress have tried to repeal it over 60 times. Surely, now that they have complete control, they are going to follow through with their deepest convictions. Surely!

1. Live to Learn profile image62
        Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hello??? Have you been listening to me???

No.

2. wilderness profile image96

Republicans have complete control!?!  If there is one sure thing about Trump it is that he is not another party flak.

1. profile image0

That is true, but that shouldn't stop Congress from repealing Obamacare. If they did it over 60 times under Obama surely the can do it once under Trump. What would stop them?

Trump.  Let me repeat: " If there is one sure thing about Trump it is that he is not another party flak."

Just watched a spot on TV where he reiterated that there are parts of Obamacare that must be kept and protected.  And I do believe that he will do just that, even if it means vetoing a bill from the people that refused to endorse or accept him.

1. profile image0

I believe you could be right. Obamacare definitely needs fixing. Repealng it is not the answer.

2. Credence2 profile image79

This is interesting, you know something? Maybe, you were right about Trump and his relationship with the rank and file GOP. This latest aberration combined with a statement he made during the campaign that moved me and so many in the upper Midwest that it cost Clinton the election. He said to a group of CEOs in Michigan that he would slap on punitive tariffs on their products if they took their plants abroad.

That flies in the face of GOP standard procedure, always looking after the best interests of the 'big shots' first.

The GOP may have brought into its midst a Trojan horse of epic magnitude. So, these developments means that for the immediate future, my log remains empty.

An interesting thought about those CEO's - they don't care whether their plant is in the US our outside of it, and probably actually prefer inside as both a little patriotism and certainly ease of management.

But the playing field MUST be level: if a CEO is to pay US labor rates then his competitors must also.  He cannot compete when his labor costs are double or triple what his competitors are paying, not with the low cost of shipping today.

By the way, I don't want you to have a heart attack over this, but I will certainly give you credit if you prove right about all of this....

3. wilderness profile image96

We're sorry.  The entity known here as "Wilderness" has suffered a myocardial infarction after reading posts from PrettyPanther and Credence2.  We hope for his quick recovery and return

Whew!  Back with you again. big_smile

We can but hope, PP.  But, Credence, the GOP did not bring that horse into its midst; they were drug willy nilly...screaming, biting and fighting all the way to election night.  You will never convince me that Trump is "their" man - he is his own man and should the paths of the GOP and Donald Trump coincide it will be because they agree with him, not the other way around.  Or, possibly, because he is cutting a deal to get what HE wants, the same as he would do with the Democrats or the devil himself.

1. colorfulone profile image78
                colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I got it from an inside source that members linked to the establishment of the GOP (BushOps) contacted Trump (or Thor) and said they would let him win the election, if he would listen to them and do what they say at least a part of the time.   Trump said "No."  He took over the GOP, and will rebuild it.  Neocons will be out!  There's been enough blood shed.

I dare not say much more, lest I cause trauma.  wink

2. profile image0

Does anyone remember when Trump asked Kasich if he would be vice president and handle the day-to-day running of the country while Trump handled the PR, or something to that effect? If he has done the same with Pence, then you really didn't make any headway on getting rid of the insiders. I thought of this today when Kellyanne Conway said Trump might be doing a "victory tour." Of course, that might be the answer to my question of how will Trump continue to get the narcissistic "high" he received from the adoring crowds--just keep on doing the same thing. big_smile

2. profile image0

I'm not sure what your response has to do with my post. I'm simply pointing out that Trump insisted throughout the campaign that he would kill Obamacare. Now he is saying otherwise.

3. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

Dr. Ben Carson said he will be helping President Thor to craft and replace ObamaCare.  Whatever that means.

4. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

lol David Brooks has not been right this whole election lol
    He works for Hillary.  Oh, what a tummy laugh!
    lol Oh, so respected.... lol
    Lies...media lies!  Brooks is a lying shill for neocons and Democrats.
    http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13275053.jpg
    Boy, I needed that.  Laughter is a good medicine!

1. profile image0

David Brooks is a leading conservative!

5. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

What liberal layman intellectuals can't seem to  grasp is the fact that America is and was made up of ALL individual states ,  The need to protect states equality rights is the reason for the constitution to begin with !   Thus the main reason for the electoral college  - That each state is represented in fair balance  - Idaho is just as important as NY state  in federal election and leadership  challenges

Liberal pseudo- Intellectuals  - Please bone up on your history and government process' . You lose almost every debate  about government  , elections and  history .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)