Impeaching Donald Trump - Again

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (87 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image90
    My Esotericposted 8 days ago

On Wednesday, Jan 6, 2021, while Congress was attempting to certify Joe Biden as having won the election to become the next President of the United States, Donald Trump was exhorting the mob he had spent the previous week or two calling together to attack Congress and stop the process.  He constantly used the word "fight", and making boxing gestures, to rile up the crowd and then sent them on their way into infamy.

March they did and they violently invaded the Capital building intent on stopping the certification of Joe Biden.  They murdered one police officer in the process and one of their own was killed climbing in a window.  Three others died of "medical conditions" brought on by the riot.

For this, since Mike Pence won't invoke the 25th Amendment to prevent Trump from causing further harm to the nation, the Democrats (and several Republicans) have set a course to impeach Donald Trump for the second time.

The charge - Inciting an Insurrection.

It is expect it will pass the House on Wednesday, Jan 13; seven days before Biden is sworn in.

They understand they can't stop Trump from doing further damage, only Pence can do that, but there are two reasons to continue.  Donald Trump must be punished in some fashion for trying to overthrow the gov't and to prevent him from ever running for office again.

Passing the House is not at issue.  Getting a conviction in the Senate is and is probably an uphill road given the number of Republican Senators who have sold their soul to the devil.

So where does the count stand right now?  First consider that if there is a trial, it will happen after the new Senate is sworn in.  If so, then you have 50 Democrats and Independents who will vote to convict.  Another 17 Republicans are needed.  Who is probably on board now according to their latest statement or past actions?

1. Sen Romney (voted to impeach last time)
    2. Sen Murkowski (statement)
    3. Sen Collins (she knows now Trump didn't "learn his lesson")
    4. Sen Sasse (statement)
    5. Sen Toomey (statement)
    So 12 more are needed.

Who will probably vote to acquit Trump:

Sen Cruz
    Sen Hawley
    Sen Scott
    Sen Blunt
    Sen Graham
    Sen Hyde-Smith
    Sen Tuberville
    Sen Marshall
    Sen Lummis
    Sen Kennedy

That is 10 Senators with no character.  That leaves 35 more which are up for grabs.

What will they do?

My Esotericposted 8 days agoin reply to this

Sen Pat Toomey joined Sen Lisa Murkowski in demanding Trump resign.  When will Collins and Romney join them?

2. Sharlee01 profile image85
      Sharlee01posted 7 days agoin reply to this

--- Realistically an impeachment takes time. There are preparation times, the President has a right to defend himself (I know you don't feel he should be given that right, but it's the law)...  Then the cases are presented and argued. There is no time to impeach the President.  But it's a great story for the media to run with.

3. MizBejabbers profile image90
      MizBejabbersposted 7 days agoin reply to this

Tonight Nancy Pelosi answered that question on 60 Minutes when Leslie Stahl asked it. She said that the impeachment can continue after Trump leaves office. When the new congress comes in, she says there will be enough votes in favor for a trial and conviction. It does not matter that he is out of office. The point is that he would be impeached and forever barred from running for office.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 7 days agoin reply to this

Your last sentence says it all: a 100% political ploy, and one that has nothing to do with the "good of the country".  It might keep Democrats from facing Trump again the future (politics again, not the good of the country) but that's it.  Haven't we seen enough of such posturing and hand wringing?

My Esotericposted 7 days agoin reply to this

Yes, it is a political action, by definition.  But the goal is saving America from Trump.  The damage he has done now is incalculable.

It was said (and I was one of them) before he was elected that he was an existential threat to the existence of America as a viable democracy - and that has now been borne out.

For example, texts from one of the insurrectionists carrying zip ties said his intent was to kill Pelosi.  That alone should get him 50 years (unfortunately it is only 5 to 10 years).

I wonder if the very fact that members of Congress having to be moved to a safe location doesn't make every insurrectionist who entered the Capital subject to the statutes covering these offenses - 18 U.S.C.

2. PrettyPanther profile image84
          PrettyPantherposted 7 days agoin reply to this

It will be very good for the country if Trump can never run for office again, which would be the case should be be found guilty.

MizBejabbersposted 6 days agoin reply to this

And your point is? I think this country has seen enough of Trump's posturing. Let's see, the current count at the Capitol is five dead. If that isn't enough, the count of deaths from Covid-19 is growing exponentially and his lack of responsibility and leadership in taking the necessary steps to help the states remedy their situations while he postures about "poor little me, I won the election, but they cheated" was wearing thin before the rush on the Capitol Building that he fomented. "Fight! Fight! Fight!" (His words, not mine.) I don't think I need a source here, as those words were straight from the horse's mouth.)

2. My Esoteric profile image90

Agreed, except about having enough patriotic Republicans to get a conviction.  I just don't have confidence they can find the 12 that is needed.

1. MizBejabbers profile image90

But...remember there will be a new Congress after Jan. 20, and that means more Democrats to vote for conviction. That and along with more moderate Republicans who are getting tired of his seditious antics and are horrified at his supporters insurrection, it may just fly.

My Esotericposted 6 days agoin reply to this

Long time, no hear.  How are you doing?

3. Sharlee01 profile image85
        Sharlee01posted 7 days agoin reply to this

Thank you for posting this. I was not aware that a President can be impeached after they leave the office. I learned something.

Thinking of this problem logically I think  Impeaching Trump might exacerbate his supporters?

1. PrettyPanther profile image84
          PrettyPantherposted 7 days agoin reply to this

Why should we not do what is right just to appease delusional criminals? Peaceful Trump supporters will remain peaceful, so I am assuming when you wondered what it would do to his supporters you were referring to the violent ones. Or, did you mean all Trump supporters, yourself included?

1. Sharlee01 profile image85
            Sharlee01posted 6 days agoin reply to this

I meant any of Trump's supporters that have strong enough opinions and feeling to show up and protest, and yes riot for a cause they seem to believe in.

I do not support any form of violence for any reason. I do not support those that most likely will show up at the inauguration and get violent.

I did not say anything in regards to my own view in respect to should Congress go ahead with impeachment.  I just shared a thoought. that impeaching Trump might exacerbate his supporters.  I did not give an opinion one way or the other --- "Why we should  not do what is right just to appease delusional criminals?"

I can see your point, I am all for doing anything we would traditionally do and pretty much handle what might happen. I hope as I did in 2016 that no one shows up to protest on Inauguration Day. However, we live in a country where we have the right to protest peacefully. I hope Trump supporters will be peaceful and be heard due to numbers, not violence.

PrettyPantherposted 6 days agoin reply to this

I have no problem with protesters and actually admire those who stand up for their beliefs by lawfully working within the system to create change. However, those who are protesting because they think the election was stolen are simply furthering propaganda created by Trump. They still have a right to peacefully protest; I just think they are dangerously wrong to help keep alive the  delusions of a mad man.

Actually, in part, we agree. I believe protests can lead to change if peaceful and need to be completely lawful. You may want to look at the problem as if you were outside the box. The people that are showing up for Trump have different views. Some really feel Trump is fully telling the full truth about voter fraud, and at this point, they don't care about seeing facts. Some are hung up on the facts just might be there, and they want all avenues investigated. They are not willing to listen to a blanketed media explanation that there is no there...  They feel they deserve an investigation and at this point do not respect the Representatives in Washington or their state governments. 

I had just hoped some sort of common sense could have prevailed. Just my opinion, but a short investigation may have shown many that their voices were being heard. Now, we have something that is just developed into something I never thought I would see, violent Americans fighting other Americans. This is only going to get worse. Many have been pushed too hard, and are not willing to listen or be pushed any further.

The politicians are playing one against another. Have you noticed much of what is being talked about is how unsafe "they felt", what danger "they were in"?  Is there any mention of why these protesters showed up that day, what made them travel to Washington from all over the US? I feel the country is in a real crisis. And we don't have anyone in Washington that seems to have the know-how to stop a rolling tank!

Would it not have been easier to prove delusions false, if they are false? Instead of pushing at people that are not going to be pushed any longer.

The delusions have already been proven to be unfounded.

"The politicians are playing one against another."

At what point do we hold citizens responsible for their inability to discern truth from fantasy? This is not the first conspiracy theory swallowed by a considerable chunk of people. And, regardless, we cannot stop speaking truth, or avoid doing what is right, just to avoid angering those who are perpetually angry about something.

Clinton was impeached for lying about a blow job. There should be no question that Trump deserves to be impeached for his actions surrounding his election loss.. No question.

Please keep in mind, it is your opinion that some citizens are delusional in regard to the election outcome and that you feel all has been proven to be delusional. However,  many are not willing to believe the election was not stolen due to fraud. Where does that leave us?  You tell me

It's is just my opinion that the politicians are playing one against another.  And a bit too large of a subject to go into on a chat... 

"At what point do we hold citizens responsible for their inability to discern truth from fantasy? "  You might start by realizing
                    that the other side fell they are speaking the truth --- Again where does that leave us?

I have no problem if Congress feels they need to impeach Trump. I have looked at this logically. I have once again pulled up rules of impeachment.
                    There is absolutely not enough time to impeach Trump a second time.
                    I listened to Alan. Dershowitz's opinion on the subject. He pointed out the legalities f a late impeachment, and that there just was not enough time, and that it would be totally unconstitutional.

So asks yourself why are the Dems proceeding? Could it be a political ploy to continue to stir up the once again hate? Yes, hate, IMO they certainly realize they are stirring up Trump supporters, and appeasing the "other side". Is this truly responsible Government, pitting citizens against one another. And at a time when emotions are high. It is time that we need sensible heads in Washington.

This is a cheap despicable political ploy...  It will lead to violence, and we all can blame those that we hired to Govern, that has gone amuck.

I have no argument on a legal impeachment of Trump. I have a huge problem that at this point it appears it would be an illegal impeachment.
                    The Dems' know very well this is not the right time to pour more fuel on a fire. Common sense should rule while we have people willing to step up and fight for what they believe in.

One thing is clear we have hundreds of thousands of people that as you claim are delusional. They feel the other side is delusional.  Again, where do we go from here? Pour on a shit load of fuel or step back and let the temperature cool down?

I guess we will see how this all plays out.  I see no solution at this point because we have two sides well dug in. And we have few in Washington that are willing to just stop the BS for even a while...

"There should be no question that Trump deserves to be impeached for his actions surrounding his election loss. No question."

You might want to realize there are many on the right that there is no question Trump should not be impeached,

It would seem you just can't realize yes your opinion is important, but so are many other American's opinions.

"Just my opinion, but a short investigation may have shown many that their voices were being heard. " - What, in your opinion, did the DOJ and Bill Barr do prior to him announcing their was "no there, there"?   Why does that no qualify as a "short investigation"

"Is there any mention of why these protesters showed up that day, what made them travel to Washington from all over the US? " - Yes, the President called them to show up for the previous two weeks.  He spoke, they listened.

There is no question Trump has put America in a real crisis, on that we agree.  I do not agree that there is "nobody" in Washington to do something about it.  The Democrats, independents, and a few Republicans (who were shook out of their delusion by the coup attempt) are doing something about it.

You write " 'They' feel they deserve an investigation and at this point do not respect the Representatives in Washington or their state governments. " and I would add to that list judges.  Who then is left to conduct this "investigation"?  Giuliani?  Sydney Powell?  Face it Sharlee, 'they' will only believe someone who says there was widespread fraud.

"Would it not have been easier to prove delusions false" - Apparently no -
                  Since it has been proved false over and over again by almost uncountable authorities to the satisfaction of everybody but Trump supporters. 

Anything short of that will be looked at as invalid by Trumpers.

And finally, was this written to minimize the danger of death the lawmakers faced?  "The politicians are playing one against another. Have you noticed much of what is being talked about is how unsafe "they felt", what danger "they were in"? "

Sharlee, I think they did. They had election recounts and recounts of recounts. Then REPUBLICAN Secretaries of State verified that their elections were honest and there was no voter fraud. Ratffensperger in GA, for one, was threatened and then called by Trump and ordered to "find him" the votes he needed. What more do you think might have been done? I don't believe anything short of taking away votes from registered voters and giving them to Trump would have satisfied these hardheads.

Yes, I was surprised as well.

As to exacerbating his supporters, I compare that to the US policy of never giving into a terrorists demands.  That policy has probably led to fewer demands, but unfortunately it has probably also led to some hostages being killed. 

The question then is, did the policy lead ultimately to fewer hostages in total being killed.  All one can hope for is that the answer is yes.

And yes, I think you are probably right, it will exacerbate them because so many of them have been radicalized already.

I hope Trump supporters will be peaceful, violence is not the way to be heard. I think numbers speak louder than violence.

We will start seeing how this will come down shortly.  Apparently, the Internet is ablaze with plans from those who really don't want to see Trump go to cause lot's of violence starting the 17th.  Not sure why that date, but that is what I heard.

I doubt Trump will listen to them but both Barr and the White House lawyer told him it was a really bad idea to self-pardon.  But with things like the DC attorney general now threatening to investigate and, if necessary, take to court people like Trump, Jr., and Giuliani for inciting to riot.

I finally heard the words Junior and G spoke and those are, without a doubt, well within the meaning of "incite".  You have to string a bunch of Trump's statements to get to the context where he was wanting to happen what did happen.

It will be whole different story if the FBI finds that there was pre-planning and coordination days ahead of the attempted coup and it leads back to Trump.

Wednesday is the day the first President of the United States will be impeached twice.  Trump loves records and being the "only one".  I think he got what he wanted.

Not sure about Wednesday, the Senate is not in session until I believe Jan 19th. It seems this impeachment is political in nature, once again it will be up to the Senate. I would think if the Dems intend to go ahead with the impeachment they might wait until after Trump has left office.  Timing is against them, and I venture to say they know this and are showboating. Which in my opinion at this time the country does not need this kind of politicking. It's perfectly what has so many furious.

It would seem they are very serious about impeaching Trump. So they can have at it. Let the chips fall where they may.

I have searched for and so far have been unsuccessful in finding a reference on whether a president can be "impeached" (the House part) after they leave office.  It is clear they can be convicted (the Senate part) after they leave office.

Unless Trump resigns or Pence removes him via the 25th Amendment (both seem very unlikely), the House will "impeach" him on Wednesday, they have enough votes including some Republican ones.  Their feeling, as is mine, is that Trump, who instigated the attack on the Capital, must be held accountable.  Based on your "showboating" reference, I am guessing you are not one of those.

As to "political in nature", yes, all impeachments are political in nature, by definition.  It can't be anything else but.

The question is will McConnell bring the Senate back before the 19th to hold a trial while he has the majority, or will he forgo that and turn it over to Schumer, when the Democrats will hold the majority, after Biden is sworn in.

To me, it really doesn't make a difference - the goal is to prevent Trump from ever again holding office.  Putting Trump in jail won't do the trick because politicians have won elections before from behind bars.  No, the House and the Senate need to vote to bar him from ever doing to America what he has done so far.

Bottom line, someone must be held accountable for the coup that took place on Jan 6, 2021, too steal a phrase, a day that will live in infamy.

Have you listened to the full speech Trump gave at the rally? If not you may want to listen to it. Not sure any of what he said could be enough to say he incited a riot? He did go on and on about voter fraud, but he also talked about much much more.

In my view, we have some very big problems brewing that will affect the country much more than we can imagine.  It might be time for all to realize this division has come to a boiling point, and we don't have a government in place that is for the people. They are for themselves, keeping themselves in power, and doing so by dividing the country. My gosh just look at the little they really do. 

I am sickened at the thought of where America has ended up...

2. MizBejabbers profile image90

I'm sorry I don't have my legal eagles at my beck and call anymore to answer your question about impeachment, but I don't believe a president can be impeached once he is out of office. The idea of impeachment is to get him out of office, but the trial and conviction after he is out is to keep him from ever being able to serve in that office again. Now that is  my understanding, but if someone can find evidence to the contrary, I welcome the correction.

I wasn't aware of it either until I watched 60 Minutes. Yes, I believe that will exacerbate things even more, but I don't think this country should be held hostage in fear of stirring up the hornets again. I used to work at our State Capitol Complex (retired in 2017). I just hope my former coworkers and friends there stay safe because I've heard they are preparing for trouble.

I appreciate your comment. You always keep a very level head. I just posted a lengthy post to Pretty Panther.  It is hard to discuss such a complicated subject on a chat. But I hoped to offer an opinion. I made an attempt to look at the problem from all sides. While not showing any bias. I think the time has come that we all back up a bit and consider all sides. Because in the end, this is becoming very serious. Please have a look at the comment I left Pretty...  I would appreciate your viewing it.

I'm sorry, but referring to holding a president accountable for his potentially criminal behavior as a "cheap despicable political ploy" shows you are not succeeding in your attempt to be unbiased. What would Trump have to do to warrant impeachment, in your mind? Kill someone? One could argue he is directly responsible for inciting murder.

This comment was just a short message to MIZBEJABBERS.  You certainly did get your point across with your comment to me. I read it I responded. best I could to your opinion. I certainly am very informed about how you feel about the impeachment, and lots more.  We disagree on the timing of the impeachment, and that I see it as a political ploy just due to it looks as if it would be against the constitution, and it would seem there is just is not enough time to conduct an impeachment hearing. If it is lawful and they can pull it off, they can have at it. 

I think the act will cause a great divide (which it is apparent many want)and could increase the possibility of violent riots.  But, many are hopeful for more red meat to chat about...

PrettyPantherposted 5 days agoin reply to this

"But, many are hopeful for more red meat to chat about..."

Not me, I want to never see or hear from Donald Trump again. I'd prefer to erase him forever from my thoughts, and even from my memory. But a narcissist of his magnitude will not go away on his own. He must be impeached so he can never run for office again.

It's pretty sad that private companies recognize how dangerous he is and have the wherewithal to do something about it, but not our elected officials.

Sharlee01posted 5 days agoin reply to this

I used the word many to make sure I did not point a finger at anyone. And the red meat was not Trump, it was impeachment the very act. I can understand your thought in regard to stopping him from running again. However, the Dems are in a tight spot and only have a double-edged knife to weaponize.

Can't see the country winning with more fuel being added to a really big fire. This is where I wish we had level headed people in Washington. IMO the Dems are politicking with lives. However, their indignation was very predictable. Not unexpected. They always sink low and could care less about the consequences. Never have, never will.

4. My Esoteric profile image90

I just read the Article of Impeachment.  Personally, I think it is weak as written.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/11/politics … index.html

Because we have watched all of this unfold in real time over two months, to those who hold my point of view, the case against Trump is overwhelming.  But the written charge must present a case that is equally overwhelming for the benefit of those who might wonder what all of the fuss is about.

I don't think it does that.  I think it just presumes everybody already knows the crimes that have been committed and I don't think they do - especially if all they consume is information from the right.  (Such as Tucker Carlson saying this isn't impeachable.)

5. Valeant profile image82
      Valeantposted 5 days agoin reply to this

Blackburn, Lankford, and Johnson are hard no's also - they were selling the election fraud claims.  Cassidy from Louisiana, Rand Paul and Tim Scott drank the Trump Kool-Aid.  Cotton, Mike Lee and Rick Scott just hate anything Democratic.  Rubio is fighting Hawley and Cruz to be Trump's top lapdog.

Cornyn and Thune could be interesting.

1. ScottSBateman profile image82
        ScottSBatemanposted 5 days agoin reply to this

You may have read the FBI is warning about a plan to have armed protesters swarm all 50 state capitols on Inauguration Day.

In addition, the report of 4,000 armed militia planning to surround the U.S. Capitol.

If more violence does erupt next Wednesday, you can bet the House will send over the article of impeachment to the Senate within days. Plenty of Republican Senators will have a hard time rejecting it.

Also, news reports are now saying that McConnell favors impeachment to save what's left of the party. Or that he's terrified what Trump rioters will do next Wednesday.

My Esotericposted 5 days agoin reply to this

On top of that, three House members were linked to the sedition conspiracy by one of the rioters.  I can see them being charged with sedition now.

I think, based on the evidence coming out, that because of weeks of Trump's lies, exhortations to do something to help him win, his throwing fuel on the fire it will be shown this invasion was pre-planned by members of Trump's militia.  They knew they were being asked to stop the certification and so they prepared to do just that by bringing zip ties to tie up congresspeople, guns, bombs of various sorts, and bludgeoning instruments to help assault the Capital.

Many of us said four years ago, and many times since, that Trump was a Clear & Present Danger to America, that he was an existential threat to democracy itself.  It was easy to tell by looking at his past, how he ran his campaign, and how terrible his character was.

And now look at what his supporters and enablers have wrought.  What happened on the 6th rests squarely on their shoulders.  It was their willingness to accept his lies as truths and go forcefully to the mat to defend his indefensible actions that led directly to almost bringing down our government.

Since then, it was confirmed that he has never had a moral compass and that his only goal as president was to enrich himself and his family.  Normally, that phrase would end with "and friends", but he has none.

As can be, of all people, Mitch McConnell.  He just came out saying he was "pleased" the Democrats were impeaching Trump.  He wants to purge the Republican Party of anything Trump.  Some are now thinking he may vote to impeach to save the Republican Party.

6. My Esoteric profile image90
      My Esotericposted 26 hours agoin reply to this

Should Trump be impeached?  Of course he should.  Republicans should want it to save their party from themselves. Americans want it to 1) punish an insurrectionist, 2) prevent him from ever doing it again, and 3) prove to the world that the Impeachment Clause in our Constitution actually works.  The World wants it in order to bring back a stable world order that Trump ripped asunder.

Who is responsible for Jan 6, 2021?  A whole host of people.  They worked together, sometimes in concert but often not, to set the stage such that the coup attempt was inevitable.

First and foremost is Donald Trump.  Simply put, no Trump, no coup attempt.  He spent 4 years cultivating and giving space to the far-right extremist who gathered at the Capitol to conduct their insurrection.  His hate speech, his inflammatory speech, his constant lying, his Big Lie about winning the 2020 election, and finally his call to all those who wanted to "save the nation" to gather for his pity party about having the election "stolen" and then sent to the Capitol to do something about it - which they did.

But also complicit is the right-wing media, led by Fox Opinion, that spent 4 years amplifying Trump's, passing on Trump's inflammatory lies, adding to them with their own real fake news, willingly propagating Trump's Big Lie about winning the 2020 election.  Without the right-wing media fanning the flames, much of the tinder which set the coup on fire would have been missing.

You also have so many of the Republican Congress who passed on or even encouraged Trump's most outrageous abuses of power, passing up the chance to be heroes by convicting Trump in the first impeachment, by assisting Trump in propagating the Big Lie about winning the 2020 election, and if several cases actually assisting the insurrectionists in their coup attempt.  Without their active help, Trump could not have had his coup which he so desperately needed to overthrow the election and therefore the government.

Finally, you have the co-conspirators that make up at least 70% of those who identify Republican, including the pro-Trumpers in this forum.  They decided, for unknown reasons, to suspend their critical thinking and bought into almost ever lie Trump promulgated including the Big Lie about winning the 2020 election.  They amplified this lie on all social media platforms, including this forum, and gave the insurrectionists succor and support to do their foreseeable dirty deed on Jan 6.  Again, without the active support of this mass of so-called patriots the take-over of the Capitol would not have happened.

2. Valeant profile image82
    Valeantposted 5 days ago

If they've got Cheney and McConnell, that likely means Thune and Cornyn will be aboard as well.  That opens things up significantly if the leaders in the Senate are going to go against Trump's base.

They should have done this during the first impeachment, but McConnell, facing re-election, probably didn't want to battle Trump at that point.

3. Valeant profile image82
    Valeantposted 25 hours ago

Last week, after Trump was banned from social media, election misinformation posts decreased by 73%.  Just goes to show how much disinformation originated with him.

My Esotericposted 20 hours agoin reply to this

WOW, good to hear, but irreversible damage has been done.

I just saw where cybersecurity just said the proud boys should be treated like ISIS on-line (as should the rest of those who Trump looked on as friends)

4. Mark O Richardson profile image84
    Mark O Richardsonposted 23 hours ago

While Trump should handle losing gracefully, it seems that attacks against him are personal. It is like the other side is out for blood (with being banned from social media, the impeachment, his businesses being attacked, etc.).

ScottSBatemanposted 23 hours agoin reply to this

I think instead the other side is opposed to the violent overthrow of a legal government.

My Esotericposted 20 hours agoin reply to this

And why shouldn't it be personal, Mark?  He led an insurrection against the United States of America, for goodness sake.  How can I say that?

1.  Because absent Trump and his Big Lie about losing the election there would have not been an attempted coup.

2.  If Trump had not called his militia to assemble at the Capitol and to "take back America", there would not have been an attempted coup and a dead capitol policeman.

He brought all of this on himself and has only himself to blame.

Sharlee01posted 19 hours agoin reply to this

"And why shouldn't it be personal, Mark?  He led an insurrection against the United States of America, for goodness sake.  How can I say that"

This has not been proved in any respect.

ScottSBatemanposted 19 hours agoin reply to this

Of course Trump led it. He:

- Set up a rally on certification day.
          - Urged his cult followers to attend.
          - Urged them to march on Capitol Hill.
          - Incited them with inflammatory rhetoric.
          - Refused to deploy the National Guard.
          - Refused to condemn the riot until a week later, only after legal threats.

Sharlee01posted 19 hours agoin reply to this

Yes, a rally was planned for Jan 6th
            The President urged supporters to attend
            He did say walk peacefully to the Capitol
            He spoke his opinion
            A week before the rally he met with Miller and gave hin the
            full authority to make the decision on deploying the Guard.
            "While Trump was less involved in giving orders Wednesday, he gave Miller the green light earlier in the week.

"The acting secretary and the president have spoken multiple times this week about the request for National Guard personnel in D.C.," said Kash Patel, Miller's chief of staff. "During these conversations, the president conveyed to the acting secretary that he should take any necessary steps to support civilian law enforcement requests in securing the Capitol and federal buildings."  https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-did … ol-1560186
            He never refused to condemn the riot. He came out with a statement on the day it happened, and two more videos the day after. These can be found in full on youtube.

ScottSBatemanposted 19 hours agoin reply to this

All false or misleading. It was Pence who gave the order. WIDELY REPORTED. Your link has nothing to do with the order.

His statement that day did not condemn the riot. He simply said -- after tremendous public pressure -- to stop the violence because his people were assaulting police officers.

But your peaceful President did say to the rioters, "We love you".

Sharlee01posted 18 hours agoin reply to this

My link actually proves president Trump met with Miller's chief of staff.

"While Trump was less involved in giving orders Wednesday, he gave Miller the green light earlier in the week. During these conversations, the president conveyed to the acting secretary that he should take any necessary steps to support civilian law enforcement requests in securing the Capitol and federal buildings. A face, A name, A fact...

ScottSBatemanposted 17 hours agoin reply to this

The fact that the two had a meeting doesn't mean diddly.

It is a fact that Pence -- not Miller -- authorized the deployment because Trump would not.

Sharlee01posted 17 hours agoin reply to this

It was Pence that spoke with Miller and they made the decision to send in the troops. Miller had the authority. Did he drop the ball, and not want to make the decision, and decided to call Pence. Who knows. Miller was told by Trump a week earlier  Quote from Kash Patel, Newsweek --- " he should take any necessary steps to support civilian law enforcement requests in securing the Capitol and federal buildings. "

My Esotericposted 13 hours agoin reply to this

Your link "proves" no such thing, if fact it proves the opposite.  Your whole case rests on whether Patel, a Trump loyalist, is telling the truth.  Since the whole suite of Trump loyalists have been proven to lie over and over again, I don't take him at his word.

Tell me, why did Trump lie when he tweeted that "I immediately ordered the National Guard and federal law enforcement to secure the building and expel the intruders."?  Can you answer me that?

Sharlee01posted 2 hours agoin reply to this

It rests on a man that has given a statement in regards to what he can varify. Miller has in no respect claimed Patel's account is not true. We have a human with a face, and name-giving his account. In my book, this far outweighs a story by an unnamed source.

Another source to back up Patel --- "Shortly after activating the additional Guardsmen, Miller spoke with congressional leaders and Vice President Mike Pence about the decision, Hoffman said. Earlier in the week, Miller had received guidance directly from Trump that he should take any necessary steps to support law enforcement, Hoffman added."  https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/0 … ton-455822

Could you provide the tweet where Trump stated ---"I immediately ordered the National Guard and federal law enforcement to secure the building and expel the intruders"?

My Esotericposted 18 hours agoin reply to this

Yes, he did say the word "peacefully".  But it was hidden among thousands of other words designed to inflame the emotions of his cult.

This on top of two months of other highly inflammatory language urging his supporters to "take back America" and "stop the Democrats from stealing the election."  They heard him and they tried, killing a cop along the way.

"“Our country has had enough. We will not take it anymore and that’s what this is all about. To use a favorite term that all of you people really came up with, we will stop the steal.” - Trump says to an angry mob he assembled and sent to the Capitol

While Trump quietly spoke the word "peacefully" once or twice, he loudly spoke the word "fight" dozens of times occasionally emphasizing it by punching like a boxer or "fight like hell".  This with the backdrop of previous claims by Trump that his "supporters might one day get violent". (I remember hearing that one)

If you were riled up in that crowd, Sharlee, how would you interpret these words? "“We fight like hell and if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.” (please don't say he was joking)

or "“We want to go back, and we want to get this right because we’re going to have somebody in there that should not be in there and our country will be destroyed, and we’re not going to stand for that.”

or “Nobody knows what the hell is going on. There’s never been anything like this. We will not let them silence your voices. We’re not going to let it happen. Not going to let it happen.” and the crowd chanted Fight for Trump and then took off to storm the Capitol. (Some took off earlier, the police have found, to collect the weapons and implements they were going to use to break into the Capital.

Here is some of the items rioters brought to the so-called "peaceful protest" you say Trump wanted - https://www.washingtonian.com/2021/01/1 … itol-riot/

"Under battle flags bearing Donald Trump’s name, the Capitol’s attackers pinned a bloodied police officer in a doorway, his twisted face and screams captured on video. They mortally wounded another officer with a blunt weapon and body-slammed a third over a railing into the crowd.

“Hang Mike Pence!” the insurrectionists chanted as they pressed inside, beating police with pipes. " from https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-p … s-turn-up/

Reasonable people understand that Trump caused all of this.  No Trump, no coup.  Unreasonable people think Trump did the right thing.

My Esotericposted 18 hours agoin reply to this

ROFL!

1. Valeant profile image82
            Valeantposted 18 hours agoin reply to this

'This has not been proved in any respect.'

Except to those who listened to the lies and rhetoric, and then watched it unfold on the day of the insurrection.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://maven.io/company/pages/privacy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)