"Government should serve the people . . ."

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Don W profile image83
    Don Wposted 7 years ago

"We are fighting for every citizen that believes that government should serve the people, not the donors and not the special interests"
    - Donald Trump before the election.

3 days after the election, Trump announces his transition team will include:

Jeffrey Eisenach - lobbyist who worked many years for Verizon and other companies to fight regulations by the Federal Communications Commission. Appointed head of the team choosing staff for the Federal Communications Commission.

Michael Catanzaro - lobbyist whose clients include Devon Energy, Hess Corporation, and Encana Oil and Gas. Appointed to oversee the “energy independence” portfolio.

Michael Torrey - lobbyist who runs a company that campaigns for food industry corporations like American Beverage Association, Dean Foods etc. Appointed to choose staff for the Department of Agriculture.

Martin Whitmer - chairman of a Washington law firm that lobbies for Association of American Railroads and National Asphalt Pavement Association. Appointed to oversee the “transportation and infrastructure” portfolio.

David Malpass - chief economist for Wall Street investment bank Bear Stearns (which collapsed during the 2008 financial crisis). Appointed to oversee the “economic issues” portfolio.

The list also includes Trump's highest donors including Peter Thiel and Anthony Scaramucci.

Can someone who voted for Trump please explain how these appointments ensure that government serves the people, not donors and special interests?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Would it help to label it as "pay for play"?  Didn't bother Clinton voters when SHE did it, shouldn't bother them now.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I believe he was asking Trump voters what they think about the people who Trump is choosing for his transition team. I am sincerely interested in what they think.

Can't help you as I recognize none of them.

It is interesting that they are all lobbyists or ex-lobbyists with the single exception of an experienced economist.  But then hasn't most in the field of politics been a lobbyist at one time or another?  Excepting, of course, those that have never left the legislature.

Except, of course, I see that the (partial) list here was designed to include only that - the lobbyists - without mention of what else there is.  The accepted norm, that is, of producing only one side of the question in an effort to prove evil.

1. profile image0
            PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this
      2. Don W profile image83
        Don Wposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So are you saying that Trump doesn't plan to "ensure that government serves the people, not donors and special interests"?

If not, then please explain how asking lobbyists and donors to choose who runs federal agencies ensures government serves the people and not special interests and donors.

Looked at (some of) the list PP gave, instead of the grossly shortened one your provided.  And I didn't catch a single one in the "lobbyists" category.  Which tells me that the large majority do not fall there - that you are cherry picking and insinuating that his whole transition team is composed of only lobbyists. 

And of course, that "transition" team must be more concerned with politics rather than actual issues.  It is their job to get Trump and his advisers, cabinet, etc. into the political scene, not advise or work on those issues.  Or so I interpret "transition team".

1. Don W profile image83

Never said or implied that's the whole team. I said very clearly that his transition team "will include . . . " And obviously I'm asking about those people in particular, because I don't understand how the inclusion of lobbyists and donors achieves Trump's stated goals.

The roles of the people listed are to choose who heads the various federal agencies like the FCC etc. I'm asking you, as someone who voted for Trump on the basis of his campaign promises, how letting lobbyists and donors choose who works at federal agencies, ensures that government serves "the people, not the donors and not the special interests"? You put him in the White House, so I'm asking you to explain how these choices meet the promise he made to you. And frankly I'm wondering why you aren't asking that yourself!

1. profile image0
              ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Pretty simple if you ask me - Trump Team has just announced a plan for NO lobbying for minimum of five years after serving !      Kind of takes the wind out of your  sail !   As for me , make that five years ten years  ----Did Clinton promise Anything resembling this ?

1. Don W profile image83

I read Pence has asked for no lobbyists to be allowed on the transition team. If that's true, it's good news.

And no it doesn't take the wind out of my sails. This isn't a team sport, reds vs. blues! I don't want to be "right" about Trump and the future damage he will cause. If ever I've wanted to be proven wrong, it's now.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image84
      oceansnsunsetsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think a leap in thinking or assuming has been made here, perhaps.  If one wants to include people that BELIEVE and THINK the idea that government serves the people first, why couldn't the choices include those that donated a lot to a campaign, IF they are the right kind of person for a job? 

I think a possible leap has been made, that all choices MUST EXCLUDE such people, in part, to avoid simply looking like they are doing so to not serve the people and only special interests.  Looking for hypocrisy, and assuming that a leader wouldn't also know that he would be accused of such by those that want to find something to accuse him/her for. 

So I wanted to point these things out first.  If one could make that case, then I think the original question is a valid one. 

If it does turn out the people mentioned don't also believe that government is there to serve the people and not special interests, then we can know for sure.  Its possible he could be a huge liar and hypocrite, but we do know for sure that Trump knows far more about these people than we do.  If he had to worry about people's disapproval that think like this and then stay his hand for fear of simply appearing a certain way.  I did not vote for him, by the way. 

I could understand sharing an opinion that big doners need to be excluded from serving the people to avoid possible improper appearances.  I don't think its a question that has that idea as a foregone conclusion, that others need to answer as if the onus is on them to do so.

2. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

President-elect Donald Trump's "Transition Team"

VP Mike Pence replaced Chris Christie on the Transition Team
    Christie will now serve as a vice-chairman alongside...
    Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama
    Retired Army Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn
    Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani
    Dr. Ben Carson
    Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich

Donald Trump isn't breaking his promises.  There is a lot of mis-information across the web to make people think he is a part of the establishment, that he hates his followers, and that he is going back on all of his promises...blah, blah, blah.   Don't get took by those fools or you'll have egg on your face too!  They are even taking things Trump said out of context and editing footage to make it look like he isn't going to deport illegals now.  This is crazy!  So, when he actually does what he says he will do in office, they'll say he is flip-flopping then. 
    Trump hasn't even taken office yet.

These media shills hope your stupid, they think you are.  Spinning!

1. Don W profile image83

Once again, for anyone who misunderstood the opening post. Trump has announced that his transition team will include, among others:

Jeffrey Eisenach - lobbyist who worked many years for Verizon and other companies to fight regulations by the Federal Communications Commission. Appointed head of the team choosing staff for the Federal Communications Commission.

Michael Catanzaro - lobbyist whose clients include Devon Energy, Hess Corporation, and Encana Oil and Gas. Appointed to oversee the “energy independence” portfolio.

Michael Torrey - lobbyist who runs a company that campaigns for food industry corporations like American Beverage Association, Dean Foods etc. Appointed to choose staff for the Department of Agriculture.

Martin Whitmer - chairman of a Washington law firm that lobbies for Association of American Railroads and National Asphalt Pavement Association. Appointed to oversee the “transportation and infrastructure” portfolio.

David Malpass - chief economist for Wall Street investment bank Bear Stearns (which collapsed during the 2008 financial crisis). Appointed to oversee the “economic issues” portfolio.

The list also includes Trump's highest donors including Peter Thiel and Anthony Scaramucci.

Can someone who voted for Trump please explain how these appointments ensure that government serves the people, not donors and special interests?

3. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

Pence will serve as Chairman of the Presidential Transition Team, according to a press release on Friday. It adds:

Dr. Ben Carson, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, Former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Newt Gingrich, Lieutenant General Michael Flynn, USA (Ret.), Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions will join the team’s Executive Committee as Vice Chairs.

According to the press release, the following individuals will serve as leaders on the Presidential Transition Team Executive Committee:

Congressman Lou Barletta
    Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn
    Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi
    Congressman Chris Collins
    Jared Kushner
    Congressman Tom Marino
    Rebekah Mercer
    Steven Mnuchin
    Congressman Devin Nunes
    Anthony Scaramucci
    Peter Thiel
    Donald Trump Jr.
    Eric Trump
    Ivanka Trump
    RNC Chairman Reince Priebus
    Trump Campaign CEO Stephen K. Bannon

Rick Dearborn will serve as the team’s executive director. Dearborn previously served as Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) chief of staff.

Others joining Dearborn on the team are:

Kellyanne Conway, Senior Advisor
    David Bossie, Deputy Executive Director
    Stephen Miller, National Policy Director
    Jason Miller, Communications Director
    Hope Hicks, National Press Secretary
    Dan Scavino, Director of Social Media
    Don McGahn, General Counsel
    Katie Walsh, Senior Advisor

Source:  http://www.breitbart.com/2016-president … tion-team/

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13276027.jpg

President-elect Trump's Transition Team website: https://www.greatagain.gov/news/press-information.html

1. Don W profile image83

You seem to be having difficulty understanding the question, so here it is again for you:

How does the appointment of the people below, ensure that government serves the people, not donors and special interests?

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Don W ,Its all quite an easy answer ,    yet easy answers always elude the idealist :
    You don't appoint the following .
    - A gardener to rebuild  a national highway infrastructure
    - A Miser to regulate  or even understand the banking industry
    - A one cow dairy farmer  to oversee  a food industry -
    - A band aid seller to oversee  health care
    - A slingshot manufacturer to run a defense dept.

I know you didn't ask the above question totally WITHOUT  a clue but you did ask it WITH an agenda . .
    Maybe my being a builder all of my life makes the jump to logical conclusions to your  question  easy but ............?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)