Does Donald Trump Have a Mandate?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Sychophantastic profile image78
    Sychophantasticposted 7 years ago

I've seen and heard this idea tossed about. It seems that several Republican officials have claimed that Donald Trump has a mandate.

Do you think that Donald Trump has a mandate? What is a mandate? Does every politician have one just by the process of winning an election?

If you believe Trump has a mandate, how can you believe that given that he lost the popular vote?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, he has a mandate, although he will not succeed in it.  Clean up the Swamp, to be crude about it.

Winning the popular vote by 0.3% means that half the country is unhappy and that is certainly not a reason to deny that he has a mandate.  Had he won the popular vote by 70 or 80% it might be true, but not when it was such a tiny fraction of the population.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 7 years agoin reply to this

He hasn't won the popular vote. Clinton has won the popular vote and they're still counting.

Some media says he has a mandate, but I think the margins are too narrow to call it a mandate. His total fell below 50% in the majority of states.  He lost 20 states and the District of Columbia.

He himself said in 2012 that the electoral college is a disaster for democracy.  He recently said he still agrees that the person who wins the majority of votes wins.  It wasn't him.

He will be a one term president if he can figure it out enough to last that long.

1. colorfulone profile image77
          colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Both Clinton and Trump were campaigning for Electoral Votes.  They would have had completely different strategies if they were running for the Popular Vote.  The Republicans won the House and Senate, so Trump has a mandate.

I believe Trump would have won biggly if they had campaigned for the Popular Vote.  And, that would be the democratic way. The electoral college is a democracy disaster, but we are a Republic not a Democracy. 

If Hillary had won the EV she would not have a mandate, because the Democrats did not win the two chambers.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 7 years ago

I agree with wilderness and if that is all he gets accomplished we'll all still be better for it.

Sychophantasticposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Wilderness on "cleaning up the Swamp". Does anyone think he's off to a good start with that?

3. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

More than anything, Trumps' greatest mandate will be to "Make America great again".   I don't think,... he could win a second term if he can't improve the economy.  The economy is the biggest concern of voters.

The Dow and Wall Street are happy so far!

The wall, immigration reform, big league jobs and repealing ObamaCare would be mandates also.  Maybe not in that order.  I think he campaigned the least about repealing ObamaCare.

Yes, the economy is certainly important. You say the Dow and Wall Street are happy so far! Is that an important point? They seemed to be quite happy with Obama.

What should be of more concern to regular people is the sudden rise of interest rates, which suggests the markets expect his policies to cause inflation. This is bad for the middle class.

Wall Street was warning of a crash because the market was dangerously red lining before the election, due to the long-term of low interest rates.   

What maybe tipped the election the most was the fear of the stock market's impending crash.  It wasn't looking good for months. When an incumbent is in power, their presidential candidate during an election is historically doomed to fail.   

There were chants of "lock her up" on the Wall Street floor as traders booed Clinton.

Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis President said that the short-term outlook is unchanged by a Trump victory.  What are big boys going to do?   I don't see a "sudden rise of interest rates" now.  Maybe December by half a percent?  I can't guess what the big bankers will do, I would like to be optimistic.

The mortgage rate has already gone up. Certainly, it's early and one can't draw a conclusion from it, but it's concerning.

2. Sychophantastic profile image78

I don't know where you get this stuff about the market's impending crash. I'm pretty up on my financial information and never saw anything like that (particularly considering that information usually comes from right-of-center sources). The DOW's number reflects business confidence. If there was worry about an impending crash, then people sell off. The assertion that there was an impending crash coming is completely false and without any evidence to back it up.

2. colorfulone profile image77

I just read that Obama had to bow to President-Elect Trump and halted the amnesty push in court for illegal immigrants. The amnesty was not an executive order, but was a series of memos from the Homeland Security secretary.  Judge Hanen, ruled that the amnesty was a violation of the Administrative Procedure Act.  A major policy change like that needs public review and comment. The appeals court ruled that Mr. Obama broke immigration law. 

I agree.  Its about time the peoples' voices are heard, Trump listens to us and will speak for us, and have his say in it.  Trump said he will make it easier for the good people who want to become American citizens, but the bad eggs will be shown the door.

Agreed. We need to rid our country of all the bad eggs otherwise we'll end up like Europe, in danger of an immigrant takeover.

http://www.dailystormer.com/germany-tra … of-europe/

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
          Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Trump picking good people could mean pure breed like Zionist and white christians.
          That could allow Zionist to take Hitler's dream beyond. But that would back fire when Zionist attack US, like how Zionist funded Hitler to kill the non Zionist jews.

I can't imagine weaking a nation more than one-sided thinking and incest. Even mutt dogs are more diverse and live longer than pure breed .

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

Losing the popular vote by a million-plus votes and presiding over a country where more people didn't vote at all than voted for either candidate - is not a mandate.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

When you look at each candidate, almost double did not vote for them. I'm with the majority, don't vote.

Then there was 18 million invalid votes, I wonder how and who decides on them.  The the selected political votes are stronger than the people's democracy votes.

AMERICA , What a Country!!! Or do I really mean, What a Corporate.

5. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

Sychophantastic, I see Bernie Sanders is going to hold Trump to his word on his promises to not cute Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.  Those are mandates that I expect too, and we will find that out soon enough.  I'm not worried.

I'm glad you're optimistic. Paul Ryan is already talking about gutting Medicaid and replacing it with vouchers.

And I don't know about cutting Social Security, but Republicans have wanted to privatize it for years. I suspect that will happen. That said, I'm not opposed to raising the retirement age. That's how you make SS completely solvent for years to come.

I haven't heard that with Ryan and vouchers, I don't follow him except to find out more about his tactics to sabotage Trump.  Ryan is establishment, and was revealed in Wikileaks leaked emails to be connected to the Clinton Foundation pay to play scheme. 

Trump plans to bring back jobs, and that will save SS and Medicare.  Canada & Mexico have offered to renegotiate NAFTA already.  Fair foreign trade deals will boost the economy by creating jobs, and  save Medicare.

As long as the sun keeps coming up every morning, I have faith that it will get hammered out. Wheels are turning in the right direction, I believe.

I was going to write "Trump isn't bringing back any jobs", but what I should say in an effort to not be hyperbolic is "there aren't that many jobs to bring back". The false bill of goods you've been sold is that these jobs disappeared overseas somehow. What actually happened is that most of these jobs disappeared as a result of technological innovation. Unless Trump has a time machine, they're not coming back. He needs a retraining program. That said, Trump should have you very worried:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-com … dent-elect

Your post sparked me to do some searching. I just read that Apple is talking about moving manufacturing back to the USA. That is one of the companies Trump targeted on the campaign trail, imposing tariffs might work.  We will see what happens in the future.  I'm glad you are interested in this.

Edited to add:   America use to run on tariffs

We lost a lot of manufacturing jobs to Mexico, and over seas.  Definitely, workers have lost jobs to robots...demanding $12 per hour for minimum wage jobs doesn't fly in America.

2. wilderness profile image95

Not coming back, eh?  Perhaps you need to re-think that?  1,000 jobs here:
            http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/13/news/co … index.html

Logic would suggest that was in the works long before Trump came on the scene. Those things don't just happen overnight.

1. wilderness profile image95

Which is why I did not insinuate Trump had anything to do with it.

But does that mean that jobs cannot come back?  Because Trump can't wave a wand and it just happens?

Curious to know how you think the draining of the swamp is going. Seems like the swamp is filling up more than being drained.

This article is unrelated to this discussion, but I found it horrifying:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ … cally.html

1. Live to Learn profile image60
                    Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You do realize the man hasn't even taken office yet?

2. profile image0
                    ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Mehgan Kelly made herself into a pariah of  sexism , she prostituted truth for  media bias and sold her career to  the process , I have watched her , fox and slate too for years .  And  , as I have also watched this leftist bull-shyte ebb and flow  for decades , I can spot a slant like this from a hundred miles away ..

The sad part is  I believed the leftist snob factor politics  for a long time ,  too long .   In the sixties I began by trying to see the light of  anti- Viet Nam leftists , in the seventies   I morphed into the same selfish entitle-ist crap that the left  now swallows whole  ,  by the eighties  after Carter ,which I voted for  , I grew tired of paying for my own idealism  in high inflation rates  , in higher taxes , and in absolutely no progress forward.

But , YOU ,  are wondering how the "draining of the swamp "is going a week into the process ?    That only proves one thing , the instantaneous entitlement  needs of a pseudo -liberal generation of meaningless political off-spring .  That which couldn't recognize REAL progress if it was mixed into their  Captain Crunch every morning .

Need a clue- The swamp is big and wide , might take more than a week !

2. Sychophantastic profile image78

And just so we're clear, I'm fully supportive of the idea of using penalties and tariffs to force American companies to make their products in America. Traditionally, that has not been a GOP idea.

Wilderness brought Ford into the discussion, so I hope its ok that I add a link to this interesting article that I just read.  Its worth reading to the end. It helped me to understand a lot and to know some terminology cues.  Kudos to Sanders and Trump for recognizing the heart of the problem.

Ford CEO Calls Donald Trump: Lincoln Plant Will Stay in Kentucky…
                https://theconservativetreehouse.com/20 … -kentucky/

6. profile image53
    Tom Kormosposted 7 years ago

What a pathetic question? How many more electoral and popular votes has he got than Hillary Clinton? If you question the legitimicy of his mandate you are not a democrat.

7. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

I know only one thing , Liberals will determine all characteristics of the Trump cabinet as racists, bullies , sexists , bigots ,islama-phobes .............. right on down the list , before they will ever approve his  nominations.  So predictable of shallow minds ,

He will clean out this present administration's minions - if he did that alone  , it's  enough of the swamp to me.

I definitely agree. Jeff Sessions for instance. They're talking about an incident that happened thirty years ago. People change and learn. He deserves a chance.

http://www.dailystormer.com/

1. Credence2 profile image78
        Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

The dailystormer?   That is an authoritative source. I know that you are engaging in irony and satire. An old dog like Jeff Sessions can never learn new tricks!!

Not at all. I've turned a new leaf and I'm going to provide good sources for my new beliefs. After all, publications like The Daily Stormer are providing a lot of the material that's setting goals for our country.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)