Celebrities everywhere Just be quiet !

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (58 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Stick a microphone into the face of a "celebrity" and they instantly begin making noises . No one cares that they have a political  opinion , it is however  adding to the divisiveness  in America that one  ideology has been gifted a "louder voice" than all others .

Shouldn't  microphone- hogs  be far more mature ?

1. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The American public should be more mature. Celebrities are paid to entertain. When they start attempting to influence politics we should just turn them off. I don't care about their opinion simply because they have no credibility. Either way, you have no idea if they are acting or stating firmly held opinions.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think you bring up a valid point, which is why I laugh at the thought of LeBron James being this generation's Muhammad Ali, even though sports channels like ESPN and Fox sports will have you believing he is this generation's Ali. 

The only problem with that assumption is that Ali wasn't owned by anyone.  He was his own man, who had his own voice.  LeBron James is nothing more than a puppet.  Plain and simple if you research this hard enough.  For instance.  He once said that he STOPPED eating at McDonald's, a few years into his nba career, simply because he was trying to eat healthier to prolong his career.  Nothing wrong with that, but the only problem is that he forgot that he was under contract with McDonald's, so he ended up retracting that statement later by lying to us about how he still eats at McDonald's; in spite of what he said before. 

Since finding that out, along with how much he acted like a crybaby over Phil Jackson calling his friends a "posse", I sort of lost all respect for LeBron James as an activist, and sort of see him more as an idiot, who really needs to shut up and worry about his own career than saying anything about social issues in general.

Don't get me wrong, he's a smart businessman from what I read about him, but he's a complete baby at times, and he's too much of a diva to really take seriously on political issues. 

Edit:  Plus, the man signed a lifetime contract with Nike, so the man doesn't even own himself.  How can you say you're the next Muhammad Ali, who's dominant in your own sport, while speaking out on social issues, if you're owned by somebody else?  Like I said before, LeBron James is a puppet, and I'd say that to his face if I ever met him too.

2. profile image0
        RTalloniposted 7 years agoin reply to this

True words…the American public should indeed be more mature.

2. Credence2 profile image80
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Would you tell Rush Limbaugh or Hannity to shut up?

I am not afraid of the opinion of anyone, why is the rightwinger so easily spooked?

Clint Eastwood is a rightwinger but that does not mean that I like his films any less. Talent is talent.  The rightwinger needs to grow up.

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I know this is most difficult for you to make sense of but Limbaugh is a radio opinion journalist ,   celebs  that I have turned off , Streep , Clooney ,  Whoopi ,  the View actually sickens me , Ted Dansen , on and on ............No one cares about an actor actually pretend acting offended by politics .

1. Paul Wingert profile image58
          Paul Wingertposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Celebrities have the same right to free speech as anyone else so get over it. I'm sure if they were praising your precious orange man-baby, you'd be perfectly okay with that.

2. Credence2 profile image80

Of course, we on your opposing side don't wage war on celebrities for expressing their opinions. We are bigger than that.

1. profile image0

You ",on my opposing side ".........Politically remind the entire world today of the Oscars nominations last night ,   No  Two people of the ideology on the left can agree on anything - even a  mistake .

2. GA Anderson profile image82
            GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"...We are bigger than that."

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13056229.jpg

like this...

GA

1. Credence2 profile image80

I stand my ground on this comment, let's face it the Right complains about celebrities speaking only because they have a left side perspective, it certainly has nothing to do with any real principle.

3. Credence2 profile image80

So, why is the Rush or Hannity diatribe any more significant than that of Meryl Streep outside of the fact that there is Fox megaphone behind them?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image80
            Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Rush, (who is not with Fox,) and Hannity deliver (well researched) truth. Movie star libs deliver opinions based on knee jerk hatred. They are ignoramuses based on what they do, which they are experts at: pretend, pretend and pretend to illusion rather than reality.

Well researched- BS.

I don't see the opinion of these notorious ideologues as any more valid than my opinion or that of, say! Mickey  Mouse....

well, then, but you are a liberal and you are a no-nothing. lol  I am open to you proving otherwise. (However, at this point, I have been reading, reading your words and have my opinion ... )

It's KNOW nothing and I am prepared to wait till hell freezes over for you to prove otherwise. I do know that  Right wingers are not exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer.....

oh yea, Know Nothing. see? just writing to you dumbs me down.

Need a witness Cred? With regards to Hannity - I volunteer.

GA

2. profile image0

Credence , Because they are "NEWS "people  and Meryl is a highly paid  actress of fantasy worlds , That of course is all one and the same to liberals of course  but  remember when the news media wasn't such a fantasy world ?
            Sesame Street isn't a trusted news source .
            Bugs Bunny isn't a  nature documentary .
            Meryl Streep isn't    Barbara Walters .

Hello Credence2,

I would not tell Rush to shut-up, I believe he at least thinks about what he says - whether I agree with it or not. But I would definitely tell Hannity to shut-up, (well, no, I wouldn't, but you get my point), he is just a water-boy, a mouthpiece. I can't recall ever hearing an original thought from him - before I stopped listening. Whenever I hear his voice I quickly change channels or stations.

But, I strongly disagree with you about Eastwood. Besides really enjoying his work, (C'mon, admit how great Gran Torino was), I really enjoy his conservative perspectives. His comments, (the ones I have listened to), always seem sensible, and from conviction - he is nobody's water-boy. You may disagree with him, but at least you will be disagreeing with a considered perspective - not just party pablum.

If you want to point the "grow-up" finger - a selfie might give offer you a legitimate target. How grown-up is it to label folks that disagree with your perspective as "stupid and dense?"

GA

GA, why would I not give the same credit for having forethought to Danny Glover or Meryl Streep that the Right wants me to give to Rush, O'Reilly or Hannity?

The point is that I don't need to tell anyone to 'shut up'. It is a free country and I am not afraid of differing opinions, but obviously the Right is.

I take some things back on Clint Eastwood, he is a conservative but not a rightwinger as I define same. I have seen Gran Torino, but liked him more in the speghetti westerns and as the shoot first ask questions later cop, Harry Callahan. Because, deep down we all wanted to see the bad guys get what they deserved.

On another thread, I explained my use of 'dense and stupid' in regard to the rightwinger.

3. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Did you call for TV celebrity Donald Trump to be quiet when he started spouting political opinions?

Did you say his voicing of his political views was "adding to the divisiveness in America that one  ideology has been gifted a "louder voice" than all others"?

No?

Then you need to look up the word "hypocrisy" and think about what you are saying.

1. profile image0

We're talking candidate  vs. celebrity , mature up will you !

1. Don W profile image82

Trump was not a candidate in the 80s and 90s when he publicly commented on politics. And he was not a candidate in 2011 when he suggested President Obama was not born in the United States. Did you say he should "be quiet"? Did you say he was "adding to the divisiveness in America"?

No, I didn't think so.

Again, look up the word "hypocrite" and try thinking about what you are saying. It really makes a difference.

1. profile image0

Hillary started and played out  the  birther thing , Trump is  yours and my  president today , like it  or not .   Hollywood  can't even decide who gets the  damned trophy and you let them to tell you how to vote ?

1. Don W profile image82

Trump publicly expressed his views on politics throughout the 80s and 90s.

Doesn't matter who started the birther nonsense. Trump publicly expressed his view on it when he was a celebrity TV presenter.

According to your standard he should have been "quiet" about politics throughout that time.

So are you saying Trump was wrong to voice his opinions about politics before he became a candidate, because he was "adding to the divisiveness in America"?

1. profile image0

Don , This is  the now and  Now  Trump is the President , I suggest that  the left get used to no voice in congress , the house or the white house for .....Oh  eight years or so .

Your man is a jerk, horsey, he will never last for 8 years....

1. profile image0

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13428435.jpg

And here is the left's  best attempt at compromise ?

2. profile image0

Somebody write this down -  losers can't be choosers  ..

2. Don W profile image82

If you think it was fine for Trump to publicly express his political opinion as a celebrity, but not for current celebreties to do the same, then you are in fact being hypocritical.

I'm sorry if you don't like that, but I am only applying YOUR standard in a thread YOU created to tell everyone about that standard.

As for influence in government. The Bannon administration can't do anything the next Democratic president and Congress can't reverse. So it's just a matter of trying to limit the damage done in the meantime. When Bannon's reign is over, the Democrats will have a lot of clearing up to do, but it wouldn't be the first time a Democratic president has had to clear up after a Republican one, and I'm certain it won't be the last.

1. wilderness profile image95
                    wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's cute, how it has become "Bannon's administration" and Bannon's reign".  Not as cute as my little granddaughter, but cute.

2. profile image0

"Just another jester  with a loud microphone "  is  the normal reaction to Hollywood - except to the left apparently who bows at the very  existence of  those like Queen Meryl  and all her court?
                    There is no hypocrisy in pointing out the idiocy of the court   jesters pretending  to know how to lead..

3. profile image0

Right !........... Like I said , see you in eight years or so .

Oh , did I mention to  you the leftists  lost the supreme courts  for a couple of decades  Don W ?

4. profile image0

I have no problem if a celebrity wants to speak their mind on political issues, as long as they know what they're talking about.  Granted, I know that even an idiot that doesn't has the right to free speech, but in a celebrity's case, I think it's more important that they put themselves on a higher standard than the rest of us because a lot of people do look up to them.  If I were to say something about politics, movies or whatever, then nobody would freaking care.  The fact of the matter is I'm just an ordinary guy.  I can be ignored, or blown off because I'm a freaking nobody.  But if a celebrity says something that's similar to what I say or exactly the same?  It wouldn't matter if you agreed with that person or not, as people would blow up talking about it for ages.

It would be all over the news and social media to the point that we'd all be talking about it at nauseum. 

Like I said, I don't mind if celebrities want to speak their minds, as it's their constitutional right to do so.  However, I do think they have an obligation not just to themselves, but to their fans, to at least know what they're talking about before saying anything.  Whether we like it or not, a lot of kids are growing up looking up to those same celebrities, so if they say or do something that's ill advised, then it could impact one of their fans' perception of reality, which shouldn't be that way because you shouldn't be idolizing what a celebrity says and/or does to begin with, but most of today's youth do that.  Which is why they need to be held up to a higher standard of knowing what they're talking about before saying anything, as they do hold a lot of influence over people.

+1

2. FatFreddysCat profile image84
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 years ago

Celebrities have as much right to share their empty headed "opinions" as any man on the street (or internet)....

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image80
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years ago

oh, they can express their opinions all they want. But we don't have to respect or like them ...
    as we might have otherwise.
    and we don't have to watch or pay for the movies they are in.
    I'll never see a another Meryl movie again.

1. profile image0

I have stopped watching so many liberal artists  , I may never see another movie .  I'm liking foreign films better anyway , sooo much more more talent there !

yes. When I was taking French, our teacher had us watching all sorts of great French movies (with subtitles.) I also used to watch Asian films which played in a theater in Petaluma, CA. In fact there are many interesting Asian TV shows which I find randomly while switching channels. They are more psychologically deep, realistic and truly humorous.

1. profile image0

Hi Kathryn ,I'm loving a lot of Brit , Irish , Scots films and series , even those "down under "and Canadian filmmakers are better than Hollywood .    Some of the actors [actress'} too.

4. Misery Church profile image31
    Misery Churchposted 7 years ago

i think it depends on who . if its someone that has warped morals maybe they should have to watch what they say. but in all reality we cant get celebrities to sign a contract telling them what to say because of "freedom of speech". if we could we would probably have a few more intelligent celebrities

5. profile image0

There is something iffy about free speech when say ,  Madonna says- " I think about Going  out and  Blowing  up the White House "............That  draws a fine line between free speech and  sedition !
    I know what would happen today if I said " Blow up the white house "   , I would be arrested , detained , charged and tried  and incarcerated .

1. profile image0

That's because she's famous and if she went to jail for saying that, then it would only make her look like a martyr standing up for free speech and whatnot.   Whereas you, you're a nobody and if you went to jail, then very few people would hear about it.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Or it's because she's rich and famous, with emphasis on the "rich".  And could cause considerable political harm to anyone trying to arrest her.

2. profile image0

Sadly it continues to make these same celebrities  absolutely moronic .  And lose popularity ,   Ask yourself this , Why doesn't  anyone see the  same thing from the right ?   Because   the quietly spoken opinion of the right is far,  far more mature .  Fact !

6. profile image0

The problem with the ideology on the left is that  you even listen to  and value celebrities opinions ,
    if the lemmings  of the left had no celebrity telling them what to collectively and politically  think , there would be little political thought at all there !
    Like starry eyed Kinder-gardener's  sitting before mickey mouse.

I value everyone's opinion even though I don't always agree. But then that is where the Right is terrified and falls short, don't you think, Horse?

1. profile image0

One doesn't need the other opinions or directions if one has been down the same road before .
        And those on the right  know where this road goes .  That is the one fact of  political ideology that the left never learns .  Like lemmings over a cliff .

That is what YOU say, just because you say it should I consider it gospel?

1. profile image0

Well, ..............yeeeaaa !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)