Should Trump staff be lawyering up?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (61 posts)
  1. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 6 years ago

Special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election has expanded to include an examination of whether President Donald Trump attempted to obstruct justice, according to a new report from The Washington Post. 

Daniel Coats, the current director of national intelligence, Adm. Mike Rogers, the head of the National Security Agency and Richard Ledgett, Rogers’ departed deputy, all agreed to participate in interviews with Mueller’s investigators as early as this week, five anonymous sources briefed on the requests told the Post.

It wasn’t immediately clear if others have been questioned by the FBI.

Investigators have also been looking for proof of possible financial crimes committed by Trump associates, officials told The Post.

COMEY FIRING TO BE INVESTIGATED BY SENATE PANEL, NEW REPORT SAYS

“The FBI leak of information regarding the President is outrageous, inexcusable and illegal,” Mark Corallo, a spokesman for Trump’s personal lawyer, Marc Kasowitz, told The Post.

The Special Counsel’s office declined to comment.

The president previously said he had received private assurances from fired FBI Director James Comey that he was not personally under investigation as part of the probe. Comey confirmed that he provided those assurances in testimony he gave to the Senate Intelligence Committee on June 8.

Related Image
    muellerExpand / Collapse
    (AP)
    That changed following Comey’s firing, sources told The Post.

The investigation into obstruction of justice into Trump started days after Comey was let go on May 9, people familiar with the matter told The Post. Mueller’s office has resumed that work and early interviews scheduled to take place with intelligence officials indicate that his team is actively pursuing potential witnesses in and out of the government.

Related Image
    Former FBI Director James Comey testifies before the Senate Intelligence Committee on Capitol Hill, Washington, DC, 6-8-17.Expand / Collapse
    Former FBI Director James Comey testifies before the Senate Intelligence Committee on Capitol Hill, Washington, DC, 6-8-17.  (2017, Martin H. Simon)
    A March 22 exchange is allegedly of potential interest to Mueller, officials told The Post. Coats was attending a briefing at the White House then with officials from other government agencies. When that ended, Trump allegedly asked everyone to leave the room except for Coats and CIA Director Mike Pompeo.

Coats said that Trump had asked him if he could intervene with Comey to get the FBI to back off its focus on former national security adviser Michael Flynn as part of the Russia probe, The Post previously reported.

In his testimony last week Comey claimed that Trump urged him to “see your way clear” of letting Flynn go. Trump has denied the comment.

Fox News’ Jake Gibson and John Roberts contributed to this report.  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06 … says.html#

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Delusional  ,..... period .

dianetrotterposted 6 years agoin reply to this

When I was in college, someone stole my identification and a money order machine.  They started papering the county with bogus money orders ... in MY name.  The county sheriff picked me up at work and took me to a store where a money order had been passed.

The store owner identified me.  He said I was the one!  He said, "She wasn't as well dressed, and was shorter and heavier.  She didn't look as well as she looks now."  When we got back to the sheriff's car, they laughed.  My dad had signed my license so there was no signature match.  The owner's identification was far more than a stretch.

My parents started getting calls for me to come in and pick up my fake money orders.  My dad got his attorney to help me.

When NLR Detective Sharfenberg called me in about a money order, I went.  I figured that once he talked to me he'd know I didn't do it.  By the time he fingerprinted me, took a mug shot and interrogated (terrorized) me, I thought I was guilty.

My dad's attorney was angry.  He said if I talked to anyone else he would not represent me any longer.

Innocent people often have to get attorneys.

1. ptosis profile image66
          ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's the point, have to stop talking to people, cops in order to protect yourself. You have a right to do that.  Mr. Kasowitz has advised White House aides to discuss the inquiry into Russia's interference in last year's election as little as possible. Unlike many of the lawyers who have reportedly declined to represent Trump, including Ted Olson, Paul Clement, and Mark Filip, Kasowitz has no experience in executive branch lawyering.

"Attorneys from at least four elite law firms have balked at the opportunity to defend President Trump when approached.“The concerns were, ‘The guy won’t pay and he won’t listen,’" - http://www.chicagonow.com/chicagos-real … your-case/

- The market for white-collar attorneys in Washington is booming as Trump's aides in the White House lawyer up amid the growing scandal.

And why does Kasowitz tell others THEY don't need an attorney.  Trump has one and "He's not guilty!"  Remember, Trumps said, "If you find satellite people guilty, that's fine!"

We eat vegetables because it is beneficial.  They need lawyers because it is beneficial.

1. profile image0

The blatant hypocrisy of the left is soo obvious ,    Were investigations of fast and furious  conducted by  special prosecutors ?   What about the tarmac meeting ,  what about the Iran cash at midnight deals ,  the Clinton fiasco's ?     What an utter hypocrisy that you speak of here ,   Personally , I hope Trump fires all of these obstructionist  seekers , because THAT is all that any of this is about .

"Whhaaaa ! He's not Myyy president ........."

1. Live to Learn profile image61
                Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think what is incredibly telling is that NPR (a source I have recently lamented as being biased toward the left when they were once, imo, fairly impartial) has started not bashing the guy but reporting that there is nothing to see here, basically.

This is so obviously becoming a left wing attempt at a witch hunt. Throw enough mud to hope the public will stop waiting for the truth to come out.

2. dianetrotter profile image61

ahorse, if there were an open investigation, I'd say the same thing.  "Get your own attorney!"  I don't know the details of what's going on now.

I saw Clinton go to the plane on the tarmac.  If it turns into an investigation, I will make the same suggestion.

2. Live to Learn profile image61

You're exactly right. Often innocent people have to get lawyers. I'll tell you another one. We recently were victims, took the evidence to an attorney. His first comment was 'what a scumbag'. The cost to fight what was happening was more than we could afford. What happened? We lost a lot with no viable recourse. The attorney apologized to me because he wouldn't take the case, asking if I took it personally. I told him, no. I was simply sad that wrong can become right, depending on how much you could afford for a lawyer.

Unfortunately, there is a price to pay for justice.  Some can't afford it.  Money can affect the outcome.

I would suggest that the group that has the most in common get an attorney jointly.

Perhaps at the end of the investigation, Trump will reimburse attorney fees!

2. Live to Learn profile image61

Ours was singling us out. Either way, I've been in court enough for different things (processing bad checks for the company, there with relatives on child custody stuff) to know that the average citizen is at a disadvantage in the court room. It's a good old boy system where a lawyer trumps all evidence from the side without one.

3. Credence2 profile image79
              Credence2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Why do you think conservatives are so anxious to destroy or weaken agencies designed as consumer advocates? Their greedy adherents know that they can virtually get away with anything they want solely due to the fact that they have 'deep pockets'. The man in the street could not possibly bring such resources to bear. They all, including Trump, know this.

Sad but true!

1. colorfulone profile image78
                  colorfuloneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is truly sad! 
                  "Ignorance is bliss?"

2. colorfulone profile image78

So, you don't know about how Obama weaponized consumer advocates?  I believes it is time to return power to the consumers from the government.

1. Credence2 profile image79

That's just saying you want to powerful corporate interests to have absolute domination over the man in the street. The consumer finance protection board, as started by Liz Warren has been just such an agency of advocacy for those that have been set upon by greedy corporate interests but without the resources to go toe to toe with, say, the Koch Brothers.  Since, the GOP is primarily for the rich, there is no right or wrong. No, I don,t trust the rich and powerful to do anything more than to exploit everyone else, that is their mantra.

Liz Warren lives in a $5.3 million dollar mansion, and her net worth is thought to be around $10 million.  How does that happen on $174,000 per year?  Who knows how much she has in offshore accounts.

Take the blinders off.

3. Live to Learn profile image61

So naive to believe that it is only one side of the aisle who doesn't give a rat's behind about the common man.

It not naive, it is factual or do I have to google to prove. What do you think the philosophy of the GOP has been, take a closer look

1. Live to Learn profile image61

Well, if you doubt, look at Obama care. It was a pork barrel orgy fest for the politicians and the insurance companies.....at the expenses of the American public.

I do wish the far ends would take off their blinders and stand with their fellow citizens and not their political parties.

Where is the compassion for all of the people who did nothing, some knew nothing, and have to considering lawyering up?

Can we stop the obsession with Trump/Obama/HRC? 

What about those in the swamp that just were just working a job?

Now it looks like Rosenstein might need a lawyer?

1. profile image0

Looks like Rosenstein  may be unemployed soon !

Yep!

1. profile image0

Diane , don'r you feel at least that Trump is against an embedded Washington DC, with  the media behind the establishment ?

Trump is only for lining his own pockets and promoting the insane GOP agenda. The drawback on Cuba is a case in point. Nothing revolutionary here, just another trashy Republican clown.

Do I feel there is a "deep state?"  I don't know if there is a name for it.  I believe there are people there who have problems with the way he does things.  They are sharing that information with media, and who knows, maybe FBI.

Some call them leakers.  Some call them whistleblowers.

I just went through 5 years of bad evaluations because the principal thought I was too old and making too much money.  He didn't like the fact that I was unintimidated, documented everything, responded to bad evaluations in a way that made them look like fools and I let my students read my evaluations.  They have very good input.  The principal was shocked when students and their parents talked to him about what he was doing.

Ahorse, I don't know people's motivation.  I do know that when FBI questions people, there is a possibility of them unknowingly committing perjury.  They need protection.

This is really a great civics lesson if students are following what's going on:  separation of branches of government, president's authority, employee ethics, morality, emoluments clause, nepotism, ad infinitum.  It will all work out.

The concept of "deep state" was just made up by a bunch of inane rightwingers as an explanation to anyone and anything that opposes Trump. It is all quite transparent, really. I did not hear any of this nonsense during Obama's term.

Do some homework on the "Deep state in the United States".  Or, keep your head in the sand of denial. There is a long history.

Obama's term was nonsense.

Nonsense? so are what you are promoting with this  latest fad of yours. We will defeat you, your advocates and your King. It will be just a matter of time.......

2. GA Anderson profile image88
          GA Andersonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Do you think that is a good or bad thing?

GA

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

All of this leftist obstructionism that the people above take as religion  , Is nothing but a newly created fourth branch oof the federal government ,  holdover Leakers !The  Obama's Lynch's , Rices , Comey's ,  Podesta ,  Clinton's ,  deep state  former employees who are ideologically opposed to any progress .  Their pajama clad  sleep ins with the news  media  produce a new obstruction every single day .    What happened to Russian collusion ?  What happened to Comey Obstruction ?   What happened to  the Russian election hacking ?  The  Ivanka  in the white house mystery ,  Jared Kushner ,  What happened to Sessions  meeting with Russian spies, or the web of financial entanglement ? 

The left and especially it's representation HERE reminds me of the kid at the home plate who can't hit the great big whiffle ball  with the great big fat plastic bat and the special council pitcher keeps slowing the pitch  down to a lob  .   One of these days they will hit on something instead of foul balls  and tics .................but we're all waiting .

3. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13575137.png

Now, that's rich! Jesus just as well be embracing horse excrement. Funny cartoon!!

1. profile image0

Seriously ?, Come on dude , If I say any more you will flag me .

4. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 6 years ago

True colors ... there they are!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)