jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What can be done to help the people affected by Harvey?

1. jackclee lm profile image72
    jackclee lmposted 3 weeks ago

The events of past few days in Houston and surrounding areas as a result of the record rainfall is heartbreaking. What is the best way to help?
    Please submit your ideas...

2. jackclee lm profile image72

Here is one website that is organizing relief -
    https://www.nvoad.org/

3. jackclee lm profile image72

This is one of those situations that should bring all people together.  Regardless of your politics...those people in Houston needs help.
    All hands on deck...government and private charities and the Red Cross...are all partners.
    We can also pray that the rain will end soon and allow the relief efforts to work and continue...

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

I think it has (brought people together).  On the news it looked like a good deal of the rescue work was done by neighbors, not formal rescue teams.  I also saw where there are lots of people from Louisiana coming in with boats, a beer company stopped making beer and is canning pure water, and a grocery chain is sending a fleet of truck loaded with food. 

Outside of shelter people can, and do, accomplish more than government and certainly move faster.

1. jackclee lm profile image72
        jackclee lmposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Totally agree. We are all Americans with a can-do attitude. Our nature is to help people in need.
        We can't rely on government for everything. That is a fact of life.

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 3 weeks ago

I am volunteering with the American Red Cross, specifically picking up donated blood, plasma, and platelets and delivering them to points where they can be forwarded on to Texas. Donations in my city increased several times over average beginning early Saturday; and Sunday, Monday and Tuesday donations are setting records.

working