jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

What have you done for the people affected by Typhoon Haiyan?

1. Darksage profile image79
    Darksageposted 4 years ago

What have you done for the people affected by Typhoon Haiyan?

I am a Filipino and proud to be one. The typhoon is internationally named as "Haiyan" but here in the Philippines is called as typhoon "Yolanda". Considered to be one of the most strongest typhoons in this planet, it devastated an entire city and many more. As a Filipino, my family and I tried to reach out to these people., but they desperately need more help. As a hubber or writer, I would like to know what have you guys done here in Hubpages to help our people out. And please help our people any donations or any way you would like to help will be good. Thanks smile #bangonpilipinas

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8530318_f260.jpg

2. davidlivermore profile image99
    davidlivermoreposted 4 years ago

As horrible as it is to say - nothing.

When I make donations for any cause, I end up finding out that the donations lined the pockets of greedy people, go towards more advertisements for more donations, etc.

Celebrities push to have donations made, but honestly, if they just did the donating, those people on a fixed income wouldn't have to.

Darksageposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well, yes, that is true, but there is sure answer to what really happens to the donations. Most are still reaching the desired destination, however, some end up getting left behind. Good answer though, for it is true.

2. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 4 years agoin reply to this

David, it sounds like you need to find more reputable charities. I never donate money without thoroughly checking the organization for myself. As for the "celebrities," many of them donate more money than you ever will, so give 'em a break...

3. Author Cheryl profile image87
    Author Cherylposted 4 years ago

If you can find me a reputable place to donate to I would be happy to but most places end up not sending the money.  Relief takes to long to get to people and that is why I don't donate.  If everyone is donating then why does it take so long to reach where the needs are.  We don't even take care of our own people in devastation.  Sorry but that is just how I feel.

This is one of the greatest problems that we're having right now. It's hard to trust anywhere to donate right now, and it's also hard to trust the internet. Thank you for your answer however, it helps to know that there are people who are not yetsure

2. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Check out World Vision, Cheryl. They help many needy children. So far I have found them open about their policies.

4. NateB11 profile image94
    NateB11posted 4 years ago

I don't have the money to donate right now, but I have posted an article to a couple sites that directs people to organizations they can donate to, to help the relief effort. In fact, I got the link from a forum thread here on Hubpages in which a Hubber posted the link for people to give donations for the relief effort.

That is good! Thank you Nate for your Efforts, we need all the help we could get! Thank you for your answer!

5. Mark Lees profile image86
    Mark Leesposted 4 years ago

I have donated to the UK charities sending aid which has thus far raised over £33 million in aid and paid tax into the UK system where we have pledged £50 million towards the Philippines relief in addition to providing practical assistance from the Royal Navy and other organisations.

OK, I am not personally responsible for the entire amount, but I am proud of the UK contribution to the disaster fund and the assistance we have provided.

I have also offered a sympathetic hear to those with families in the region but luckily none of them have suffered personal losses.

Hope the aid reaches the people quickly and the area and people can recover and get back to normal lives as quickly as possible.

Thank you for the help Mark and to the United Kingdom. I have heard of these donations, and yes, they are helping out a lot in here. We are lucky to have these types of help from different countries. Thank you for the answer!

6. livewirez profile image75
    livewirezposted 4 years ago

It was actually the most horrible thing happened in the Philippines or I would say to "may kababayan". One of thing that I had done aside from giving some relief goods is to PRAY for those people who are most affected by this typhoon.

Prayer is truly strong with us Filipinos. Thank you for the help! And I know that it could help us all in here. Thank you for your answer.

7. ComfortB profile image88
    ComfortBposted 4 years ago

I have given a charity donation through my membership at Zurker. It's the least I can do outside of praying for them.

If any Zurker member is reading this, you can donate right here -
    http://zurkerwiki.com/donate/

8. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 4 years ago

I've donated money as well as items that were requested by charities such as the Red Cross and Oxfam.

My heart went out to the people and their children, so my family and I also lit a white candle for them as a sign of love and support, even although we are thousands of miles apart.

working