jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Labor day msg.

1. ptosis profile image78
    ptosisposted 2 weeks ago

By Broken:

Just a few examples of just how bad JOTUS is for most workers:

Tried to take health coverage away from millions of low-income workers

Revoked an order by Obama requiring large federal contracts to go only to companies that weren’t guilty of violating labor laws

Nominated to be labor secretary the head of a fast-food company notorious for its abuse and exploitation of low-wage workers (the nominee later withdrew)

Appointed anti-labor nominees to the National Labor Relations Board

Moved to undo the Obama administration’s regulation expanding overtime pay for millions of workers

Proposed to cut the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health by 40 percent

Pushed back regulations forcing companies to protect worker safety and inform workers of hazards

Argued in court that employers should be able to force workers to give up their right to file class-action lawsuits

Reversed the Obama administration’s crackdown on for-profit education scams that saddle people with worthless degrees and huge debt

Promoted “right to work” laws that hamper unions’ ability to organize

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Haven't a clue what "JOTUS" is (yet another silly name calling gambit?) but will point out that "right to work" laws "hamper" union's ability to organize only in that  unions have a much harder time in forcing their way into the employer/employee contract.  It always was incomprehensible that a union could force a person to pay them for the right to work for a specific employer.

1. ptosis profile image78
        ptosisposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Joke Of The United States.

You just celebrated Labor Day yesterday. Gimme a break. Why do you think we celebrate Labor Day? People died for you to enjoy having overtime over 40 hours a week, and a 1/2 lunch in a 8 hour work period.

Unions have helped all workers, not just those who are in a union.

So you want no unions, no labor laws and no enforcement of OSHA safety. Is that your position?

I'm trying to find your Libertarian viewpoint, do you agree with the following?

Chris Worth  May 28 Originally Answered: What do libertarians have to say about unions and collective bargaining?

If a group of people wanted to pool their interest by approaching their employer with a proposal they all agree to, and the employer agrees to discuss that proposal, fine. Trouble is, that’s not how collective bargaining works in practice.

Individual liberty - the cornerstone of libertarianism - includes the freedom to propose, discuss, and contract with other parties, in your self-interest, both parties having the right to accept or refuse. In “Collective bargaining” the individual is lost within the whole; in industries where it exists, there is little right for the individual to decide what he wants or will accept, and compete with others for a job he wants.

So libertarians are generally against unions and collective bargaining.

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

We (mostly) celebrate labor day because the unions demanded, and got, paid by employers for nothing in exchange (such as labor).

Collective bargaining is fine.  As long as that collective doesn't charge me for the privilege of choosing an employer and wage.  The "collective" has no right to stick their noses in my business by telling me what I shall earn, who I shall work for, what my job shall be, etc.  Right-to-work-laws prevent that, and that's all they do. 

No ethical right, that is - the unions have had enough political strength to make laws for many states that give them the power to dictate just such things to everyone in the state.

working