jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)

Do you as an American trust your news media ?

1. ahorseback profile image81
    ahorsebackposted 3 weeks ago

Just how biased are they ?   How biased are you ?  On a scale of 1----10   ,  rate yourself and your media awareness  for accuracy ,integrity and  truth in media .   How many news sources do you use, which ones ?

1. ptosis profile image83
      ptosisposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Very broad question. Are you talking the The Media Monopoly? You've said that you watch 6-7 news stories a day. Watch? On T.V.? Is THAT where you get your - ahem - "news" from?

Which 7 news entertainment shows do you watch? Where are they on the biased spectrum?

Look at this site to see where your news is biased towards.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13784129.jpg

GOTO https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/ for you bias media fact check. 

Reuters = LEAST BIASED These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes).

The Guardian  = Reports factually, but with a left-center bias in reporting and sometimes wording.

The Hill = LEFT-CENTER BIAS These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias.  They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words

ProPublica = LEFT-CENTER BIAS These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias.  They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words

2. Edward J. Palumbo profile image85
    Edward J. Palumboposted 3 weeks ago

I am 71, and I have watched network news deteriorate from the days of Edward R. Murrow, Walter Cronkite, David Brinkley and John Chancellor to the present generation of talking heads. I regard the current state of televised national news as a propaganda tool. I check Reuters and the BBC online for news.

Yes, I remember when TV had 4 channels (wow!) and news was boring and depressing.

If the news a person is reading/watching is not boring then maybe the loaded words in the article/broadcast gives the person's brain a 'feel good' signal because their worldview has been verified and reaffirmed.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13784341.jpg

3. ahorseback profile image81
    ahorsebackposted 3 weeks ago

80 % of the news media today is highly -extremely biased ,  You are right ptosis ,  when there were 2- 4 sources it was much , much better .  CNN was probably boss in the eighties ,   I  check Google  , Fox , Drudge , CNN ,  AOL , BBC etc. daily and occasionally MSNBC and  some of the obvious bias' ones only to see where they are at  ,  At least 80- %  of news  today is biased ,  75 -% of it is left of center or just plain left .

Those of us who came from  seventies and  eighties news networks are , I believe , far more informed and capable of "seeing " through the right or left bias . whether we are left or right ,Lets face it , if you are under 40- 45  years old , you buy into whatever you watch  with slight exception.

Anybody remember the organization Accuracy In Media I think it was , now extinct ?

?? Did you just elect yourself as representative of a entire generation younger than yourself without any credentials? Your high confidence in people you don't know about well  - appears to by a symptom of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Or maybe you really are qualified - do you come from Alabama?

JOKE:

Q:
      Why do (insert group here) murders are so hard to solve?
      A:
      Because there are no dental records and the DNA is all the same.

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image84
    Kathleen Cochranposted 3 weeks ago

It is not the responsibility of news to be exciting and/or uplifting.  It is to report what they deem to be newsworthy.  Look elsewhere for your entertainment.

ahorsebackposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Don't be so short , What we want  I believe is accuracy ,a divorce from sensationalism and honesty in reporting , NOT entertainment or a sideshow.

Sensationalism as in the above posting .

"We"? Now you have a mouse in your pocket? Beware the pontifical use of the word 'we'!
        P.S. Goober: I'm not a news outlet, MOHO may be sensational(!){thank you} but I don't pretend it's news.

So you [we]don't care about media integrity ?  I'm surprised .........not.

I just don't like you acting as you represent me, even if we agree on something. I don't like you. You're dishonest and willfully ignorant on discussions.

ptosis , and I .......am not surprised you give up on such discussions so easily .
              If you cant post a cartoon character or someone else's joke , you got nothing ?

Now I'm hurt ........:-]

You got an original joke? Do Tell!!

HEY! Here's anouther jokeI just learned - just now!

I am worried that because you are so childish you will be molested by @MooreSenate.

5. Live to Learn profile image80
    Live to Learnposted 3 weeks ago

Anyone who has ever known a real story has seen the news media twist it for ratings or in an attempt to sway public opinion. Only a fool would trust the media to report honestly and without bias.

Correct. Even if try as hard as you might, there is no escaping bias of some sort.

Confirmation Bias. We love to agree with people who agree with us. ...
      Ingroup Bias. ...
      Gambler's Fallacy. ...
      Neglecting Probability. ...
      Observational Selection Bias. ...
      Negativity Bias. ...
      Bandwagon Effect. ...
      The Current Moment Bias.

1. Live to Learn profile image80
        Live to Learnposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Wow. Interesting how someone can identify the problem but not see how much they are influenced by it.

Absolutely !

2. ptosis profile image83

Yes, absolutely!, Some people just think think the are smarter, and better than the great unwashed masses. So above it all. So superior.

Tsk tsk tsk

working