jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Who here have "googled" themselves?

1. stanwshura profile image75
    stanwshuraposted 6 years ago

Who here have "googled" themselves?

Come ooonnn.  Be honest now!  Who has typed his/her own name (with or without quotes) into a search engine box?  Don't be bashful. smile  If you care to reveal the number of "results", go for it. 

Did you vary the search - with middle name, without it, just the middle initial, in combination with famous people or topics or...well, you tell me! smile

2. Extinct Soul profile image58
    Extinct Soulposted 6 years ago

I did! lol Just to see if there are people with the same name - without the middlename. And I'm happy to find out that I'm unique and I'm thanking my mom for giving me the name. It was cute though, having to find myself on the list and to see one of my pictures in the images..haha it was like "dang! I exist"..

3. Phanti profile image61
    Phantiposted 6 years ago

I have.  My whole name, middle name and all.  I don't remember how many results I got, actually I'll do it again and find out.  Just a sec....28 without my middle name.  I didn't find anything that I didn't already know though, which I guess is actually a good thing. smile

4. cephla profile image60
    cephlaposted 6 years ago

My name is common enough for me to not even bother with it. I do check for my pen name though. Unlike Extinct soul, I still sulk about having a name I don't associate with. My pen name on the other hand came to me in distant dream of epic proportions.

5. stanwshura profile image75
    stanwshuraposted 6 years ago

Thanks for your responses, folks.  Pretty interesting so far.  Just for clarification, I'm really asking people if they were looking to see what's on the web by or about *them*, personally - not so much about their names.  Lol - I hadn't even thought of that!  smile

6. seriousnuts profile image67
    seriousnutsposted 6 years ago

I did. I tried googling my first name and last name to see how much personal information I might be revealing to strangers. I was shocked to see some personal conversations I had with my college friends appearing in the results. Those were emails I'd sent to them in our Yahoo Groups. I'm not the moderator, so I had no idea that the group was in fact public. So i deleted all those emails written by myself so it wouldn't appear on the results anymore.

I also tried googling for my pen name. Through this, I had found some bloggers who had illegally copied my hubs. It's quite helpful. In fact, I am googling my pen name regularly.

7. .josh. profile image60
    .josh.posted 6 years ago

I have many times - sometimes simply out of curiosity, but as a teacher, I've also got to make sure my students can't find me. Fortunately, while a number of things do show up on the first page, it's quite easy to make it all unsearchable when need be (plus there's a singer with the same name, which helps).

8. puddingicecream profile image73
    puddingicecreamposted 6 years ago

I have! And it's actually recommended that you do.

9. catsimmons profile image81
    catsimmonsposted 6 years ago

Of course :-) It was really hard work to find something that was actually related to me though!
    Folks with unusual names have it better, or worse depending how you look at it...