Should we raise the age of enlistment to 21?

1. Hi-Jinks profile image61
    Hi-Jinksposted 8 years ago

Should we raise the age of enlistment to 21?

I believe that many young boys and some girls join the armed services without thinking much on the matter. Trading college scholarships for time behind a gun.

2. SheriSapp profile image60
    SheriSappposted 8 years ago

I am not really sure, but I think if 18 is old enough to fight and maybe die for your nation, you should be old enough to legally purchase alcoholic beverages.

3. outdoorsguy profile image57
    outdoorsguyposted 8 years ago

Your kidding right.. men as young as 16 served in WWI,  the same in WWI.   we had 15 year olds who fought and died in both the Civil war and the Revolutionary war.

Why do we as Westerners, and Americans specifically think that Kids are stupid, have no idea of consequences.   nature tells them they are adults at Puberty.   we let them be adults in all kinds of ways on a daily basis. then act shocked when they want to be adults.   " oh Johnny I know you hold a job, own a car, you have a cell phone, go where you want and do what you want with in reason.   but No... way are you smart enough to drink or Join the military at seventeen"

Get a grip, its parents fears for their children that keep us passing laws to treat them like children for as long as we possibly can.. so now theres a war on and Terrorified parents and well meaning busy bodies are wanting to keep them from harm by passnig a law that tells them at graduation, you have to work, pay bills, do all the other things adults do..  but your still a kid and cant serve in the miltary or drink.