jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Which line of work is truly the "oldest profession" - Politics or Prostitution?

1. XtineTheWriter profile image58
    XtineTheWriterposted 8 years ago

Which line of work is truly the "oldest profession" - Politics or Prostitution?

Think about it -- cavemen probably had tribal leaders (politicians). Did they have cavewomen who put out for a price? Or did cavemen just club the women over the head when they wanted a romp in the hay?

2. Mr. Happy profile image84
    Mr. Happyposted 8 years ago

I am pretty sure it`s prostitution but I don`t have the resources to prove that. The facts are out there, somewhere ...

3. Happyontheinside profile image85
    Happyontheinsideposted 8 years ago

Believe it or not I once had to research for an essay on this subject in College; not the politicians part the prostitution part. I seem to remember lots and lots of resources indicating that prostitution was the oldest...

If you actually want a serious answer to this; the word 'politician' came about in the late 16th century (so say my sources) but it is noted that prostitutes are believed to have operated as far back as Ancient Rome and Greece...Of course politicians have been around a lot longer than that...but before then they were just known as scum wink

4. XtineTheWriter profile image58
    XtineTheWriterposted 8 years ago

Excellent insight. Actually, your last sentence caused me to laugh. Thanks. I needed that.

5. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 8 years ago

Both have connections and none of them can exist without the presence of the other.

6. someonewhoknows profile image75
    someonewhoknowsposted 8 years ago

It seems the two are really one and the same ,both of them couldn't get money without giving,or at least promising to give out something they had in exchange for something they needed or wanted.

7. Ralph Deeds profile image61
    Ralph Deedsposted 8 years ago

Do you have a better idea for either profession? Your question reveals your nihilism.

8. Laura Schneider profile image92
    Laura Schneiderposted 6 years ago

Neither: I think parenthood is really the oldest profession.

working