jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Are we born prejudice or is it a learn trait? Can you both love and be prejudice

1. elayne001 profile image80
    elayne001posted 8 years ago

Are we born prejudice or is it a learn trait? Can you both love and be prejudice towards a person?

2. DaniellaWood profile image86
    DaniellaWoodposted 8 years ago

There's no denying we all grow into our own characters, with our own views and opinions. But I definately think that the reason we believe what we do goes deep into our subconscious and leads back to our parents'/friends'/teachers'/peers' views and how they have acted around us. A lot of my friends, I've noticed, act just like their parents because, as a child, we just mirror our parents or whoever we're closest to before we've had chance to truly develop our own thoughts on the situation. As adults, we may stand here and say, "This is my opinion, always has been, always will be", but how do we know it's really our opinion or if it's just something we've been subconsciously made to believe? ...That's my take on it, anyway...or is it? haha
    And your second question is one with a complicated answer I think. Yes and no. I'd love to sit and answer it, but I don't want you all to snore too loudly! tongue
    Thanks, Daniella

3. terced ojos profile image66
    terced ojosposted 8 years ago

Prejudices and Racism of all kinds are taught.  Children don't hate people because of things like skin color; they associate each individual according to how well or how ill they are treated by them. There are ways to directly and indirectly teach racism and prejudice to children.  Children are very observant and will generally act out the prejudices exhibited by their parents whether or not they are actually verbally taught these biases.

4. ms.truly lovely profile image35
    ms.truly lovelyposted 8 years ago

NO YOU ARE NOT BORN THAT WAY, THAT IS A LEARNED , FEELING NOW YOU MAY NOT LIKE THE WAY SOMBODY LOOKS WHEN YOUR A BABY, BUT IF YOU PUT A BLACK CHILD IN AHOME WITH WHITE PEOPLE FROM THE TIME THEY ARE BORN , AND THEY RAISE THAT CHILD AND IS GOOD TO THAT CHILD , THAT CHILD WILL NOT HATE WHITE PEOPLE VISA VERSA . I PERSONALLY DO NOT AGREE WITH THE RELIGION BUDDIST BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT I DON'T LIKE ASIAN PEOPLE I JUST DON'T AGREE WITH SOME  OF THEM . 1 THING TO REMEBER IS THAT THERE IS GOOD AND EVIL IN EVERY RACE OF PEOPLE ON THE EARTH . LOOK AT A PERSONS ACTIONS INSTEAD OF THIER SKIN PIGMENTATION AND FEATURES.

5. SheriSapp profile image61
    SheriSappposted 8 years ago

Prejudice is absolutely a learned behavior. Set a good example for your children and let them know that belittling any group for whatever reason is unacceptable behavior. Judge people by what they say and do, not how they look.

working