jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Who do you consider to be the greatest living Americans? And why?

1. Tadeusz598 profile image60
    Tadeusz598posted 8 years ago

Who do you consider to be the greatest living Americans? And why?

They could be people in any field.

2. Dzierba profile image69
    Dzierbaposted 8 years ago

I consider ShayCarl to be the greatest living American becuase he represents what every man should strive to be. He emits happiness wherever he goes, and he is super duper optimistic and is out there to help and change the world. Awesome dude, my idol.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image63
    Ralph Deedsposted 8 years ago

That question is almost impossible to answer because to do so one would have to define and agree on the criteria for "greatest" which might include political skill and accomplishment, public service, scientific achievement, historical research and writing, philosophy,  creative writing, philanthropy, inventiveness, acting, investment success, business leadership, kindness, honesty, courage, generosity, athletic prowess and so forth.

How can one say that John Bogle  Warren Buffett or George Soros is greater than Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman or Jack Nicholson or Barack Obama, Sens. Russ Feingold, Carl Levin or Al Gore or an unknown priest, rabbi or imam who serves the inner city poor or Steve Jobs, Bill Gates or Andy Grove or cellist YoYo Ma, or any one of a number of jazz musicians, singers and composers. Moreover, it's easier to evaluate great dead Americans than living ones whose evaluations are subject to error.

4. commisioner profile image55
    commisionerposted 8 years ago

what a question. and here is my answer. to me, my mom for bringing me up right, and my wife for being with me no matter what.
    notable americans are only great to half the country or less. to some, any number of liberal politicians could be chosen. to others it would be conservatives who rule. to some it would be jazz musicians and to others (merle haggad) a country star. and so on.
    i agree with ralph(holy crap) and think it much easier to make that conclusion when the person has died and no more can be made or taken from him/ her. in my lifetime my choice for #1 would be ronald regan, #2 would be patrick swazey. regan for his willingness to lead this country without worrying about criticism, and patrick swayzey for his role in red dawn. that was a movie all people should watch and required in any political science class. it shows where we are now headed and the possibilities of  open borders and "free" freedom.

5. Tadeusz598 profile image60
    Tadeusz598posted 8 years ago

I should perhaps expand the terms of my question.

I don't for a moment imagine that it could be objectively determined who the greatest American is or was.

But according to the criteria you yourself select, and accepting their subjective limits, who would you choose?

6. KillerKendra profile image49
    KillerKendraposted 8 years ago

Beacuse they did something for our contry that we love them for