jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can It Be Morally Right To Give Tips To Policemen Just As It Is Common To Give T

1. ngureco profile image84
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

Can It Be Morally Right To Give Tips To Policemen Just As It Is Common To Give Tips At Restaurants?

2. profile image54
    SpaceAgeposted 8 years ago

i'm not sure they want our $$$. they're probably trained not 2 take it from ppl

3. pippap profile image86
    pippapposted 8 years ago

Police officers absolutely will not accept a tip, gift or gratuity of any kind.  To accept a gratuity of any kind would put that case and all their other cases under suspicion due to what many would consider "a bribe" or "a conflict of interest".  If a police officer accepted a tip, gift or gratuity, it would be unethical; and, could possibly cost them their job.

If you really want to thank an officer for outstanding duty, donate money to a cause such as a missing-child foundation that survives on donations in that officer's name.  Write a letter of commendation to the officer's station - it will be put on their record.  Write a letter to the editor of your local paper thanking this officer.  There are many ways to thank them without offering a gratuity.

4. Springboard profile image82
    Springboardposted 8 years ago

I don't think it is a question of morality, but the big difference between police officers and waitresses is that the police officer works directly for us through the taxes we pay for the services they provide. In a way, a police officer has an obligation to provide certain services, and in large part the law dictates how those services can and will be rendered. Tipping a police officer can also be described as a bribe, and is illegal.

5. billyaustindillon profile image68
    billyaustindillonposted 8 years ago

A agree with the replies here - the obvious is the conflict of interest - questions of bribery or impropriety could be raised.

The difference is also the minimal wage a waiter gets.

Very simple people are paid to do a job and in this case by the public. That should be enough, you do well you get promoted you get job satisfaction etc

It has amazed me over the past years the number of people expecting tips for nothing - just doing their job. I would suggest most policeman would be insulted by a tip.