jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Shouldn’t The US Navy Be The US Marine Corps?

1. ngureco profile image82
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

Shouldn’t The US Navy Be The US Marine Corps?

2. Springboard profile image81
    Springboardposted 8 years ago

The word "marine" certainly seems to suggest that the use of the word applies to being at sea, of the sea...etc.

If it makes you feel any better US Marines are delivered often times by ship.

As a former sailor we also consider Marine to be an acronym...

My A.. Rides In Navy Equipment and Ships. smile

3. Torq94 profile image58
    Torq94posted 8 years ago

No! The USMC branched off from the US Navy

4. commisioner profile image57
    commisionerposted 8 years ago

then should the air force be part of the army? it was originally the army air corps.(not corpse) sorry for the dig. they continue to say the marines are a department of the navy. a marine will say yeah, the men's department. but of all the branches of the military, only the marines will say "I am a marine" even after their time of service is long done. i have never heard a marine say "I was a marine."
    they are separate and special.

5. proton66 profile image64
    proton66posted 7 years ago

Back in the 18th century, the Marines were considered soldiers of the sea and the Navy used well-trained and disciplined marksmanship individuals to be on the ship as well as deliver them on shore for whatever operations. Marines are not meant to operate in the ocean per se so there has to be a separate department. Wars are mainly fought on land, and the least the Navy can do is soften up the shoreline before hand. So, the idea of them being one and the same is not correct. Besides, most of the precision i.e. dirty work cannot be done sitting off shore!

working