jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

You are bursting to laugh, but how do you keep a straight face?

1. Lady_E profile image75
    Lady_Eposted 8 years ago

You are bursting to laugh, but how do you keep a straight face?

There are certain times in life when something happens and you are bursting to laugh, but you have to keep a straight face - otherwise, you could be seen as unprofessional or insensitive, even though the incident was hilarious.

How do you keep a straight face in such situations, even though you’re cracking up inside?

2. DaniellaWood profile image86
    DaniellaWoodposted 8 years ago

Dig my nails into my palms...hopefully the pain distracts from whatever it is making me about to spit my drink all over the person in front of me!

3. Springboard profile image80
    Springboardposted 8 years ago

This is a very hard one sometimes. It's best to keep an arsenal of wittiness in one's pockets for just such occassions. Being fast on your feet helps a bit too, because that'll help you to pull the funny out of any thing being said or done. Because if all fails and the damn breaks and the guffaws ensue, which they sometimes do, you have to have something to justify it and quickly.

Barring that, honesty, as painful as it may be, might be the only other alternative.

"Man, that was the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, seen..." may hurt. But sometimes it's all you've got left if the arsenal of wittiness comes up short, or if the quick feet lose their footing.

Hey, we're all human. We're all bound to lose it now and again.

4. BeBrown profile image68
    BeBrownposted 8 years ago

I've tried putting my hand over my mouth or holding my breath but  I don't think I've ever managed it.

5. Hungry-n-Foolish profile image61
    Hungry-n-Foolishposted 7 years ago

start coughing..
    and then say excuse me.. off to washroom..
    and laugh our heart out..  smile

working