jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why do people use drugs?

1. Teresa Schultz profile image80
    Teresa Schultzposted 7 years ago

Why do people use drugs?

I read an interesting article by you, Bard of Ely, and I would like you to perhaps write a hub about why people use drugs? I haven't yet used this feature on HubPages, so if you don't want to write the Hub, no problem, just thought it would make for an interesting read for everyone.

I see the question is open to everyone to answer though, and I look forward to seeing the answers.

Thanks.

2. skn12 profile image57
    skn12posted 7 years ago

Because they are helpless. They need help, advice from people around to free from drugs.

3. I am DB Cooper profile image65
    I am DB Cooperposted 7 years ago

Well, it depends on the drug. Some, like alcohol, are used as a "social lubricant". Others, like LSD, are used to provide a unique mental experience, or a "trip". Drugs like heroin are used for instant gratification. This is probably not the answer you'd get from a program like D.A.R.E., but the fact is there are positive effects from all recreational drugs. If there weren't, people wouldn't use them. Of course, the negative effects can be absolutely devastating.

4. profile image0
    kjchicposted 7 years ago

Some people hit rock bottom, usually have little self-esteem or support, are stressed out about life, and find drugs an easy escape from a problem that will naturally take care of itself in time or through a postive change in their life.  They usually admit defeat.  It's like "life suicide" for people who do not want to kill themselves.  It also could be from peer pressure, the need to fit into their social group (that group ranging over any ethnicity and social class), and not having enough courage to remain an individual.  At any rate, through time, the build up of drugs can cause a chemical dependence.  Going through rehab for any long-term drug use - recreational or prescription - is a painful process of illness as your body detoxifies.  I know many people who took doctor-prescribed antidepressents, and it sometimes takes years to be weaned off them.

I've never used drugs nor do I drink alcohol, but I do have the same sort of compulsive, obsessive traits that are exhibited in drug users and alcoholics when they hit rock bottom, so it's easy for me to understand how hard it is to escape that mental prison.  I just go about it differently.  I think that's most people in life, though, and we choose paths that are easier to pick ourselves out from when we hit these rough patches.

5. Bard of Ely profile image88
    Bard of Elyposted 7 years ago

Teresa, I am not sure how this works so am writing a hub separately and crediting you as the hubber who inspired it.
    As a brief answer though here: relief from pain and stress, for energy, for enjoyment, for inspiration, to sleep, as part of a religion, peer pressure, because role models and celebs use drugs, because of literature, because of the medical industry, to be rebellious, to overcome social difficulties, for experience and as an experiment, because it is trendy, because it is a tradition in a social group and as an escape from unwanted conditions.

6. Tony Flanigan profile image61
    Tony Flaniganposted 7 years ago

I've never used 'em so I wouldn't know...

7. DaNoblest profile image60
    DaNoblestposted 7 years ago

To escape reality, escape pain, or escape themselves are a few reasons. The fix is only temporary though and the problems they were trying to escape come back in full force.

With some harder drugs they hit a point where they have to take them just to make it through the day.

working