jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Can You Motivate Someone To Get Clean and Sober Before They Hit "Rock Bottom"?

1. crackerjack9 profile image71
    crackerjack9posted 2 years ago

Can You Motivate Someone To Get Clean and Sober Before They Hit "Rock Bottom"?

Many people say (and even the AA big book says)that one must hit "rock bottom" before they will get sober. It is said that when one has lost enough or when the pain is great enough, then one can be open to recovery and treatment. Does forcing a person (either through the courts or a family ultimatum...) into detox work?

I work in a detox and I know many of my clients are not 'ready' to get sober just because they are there, yet I feel like I plant a seed of recovery that grows each time they come in. I would hate to think that all my efforts are wasted time.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12677775_f260.jpg

2. manatita44 profile image84
    manatita44posted 2 years ago

I would say that all acts, are a yearning for Love, for the One. Still, your point is valid in so far as true prayer only begins when human capacity ends. Adversity can take us to the point where we feel helpless and lose our dependence. What takes place or has to take place is a shift in focus, but again, the Divine is always in charge.

It may be that sometimes the veil is too strong for our kindness to influence it, or looked at another way, the shadow is too dense. It may also be that we simply act as catalysts for change, that when we think that we are successful, it is really the lessons being learned or karma burnt by a Higher Law.

Who knows? Our business is to serve; to do our duty. The results are always, to my mind, in the hands of Something Higher.

1. crackerjack9 profile image71
      crackerjack9posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Well said. I come to work each day and do the best I can and hope that the seed I planted takes root and begins to grow.

2. manatita44 profile image84
      manatita44posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Super-excellent! That is all you can do. I feel sure that you do this with a loving Heart. Much Love and Fortitude.

working