jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Isn't it required that a person be able to speak English to become a citizen?

1. Zornberg profile image51
    Zornbergposted 7 years ago

Isn't it required that a person be able to speak English to become a citizen?

2. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 7 years ago

I thought so.   But who the heck knows these days,  what with all the appeasement of many illegal things happening, even sympathy for terrorists?   The requirement is probably just being able to put a big ol' X on the signature line!
    Anyway, great question.

3. dragonkain profile image64
    dragonkainposted 7 years ago

Its not actually. I have seen tons of people come in to the pharmacy where I work that cannot speak any English at all and have state issued ID's and insurance. I'm guessing they just take it as a given that you will learn the local language once you immigrate.

4. juiwei2000 profile image61
    juiwei2000posted 7 years ago

I know at Taiwan (where I come from) it isn't a requirement for women to be able to speak chinese to become a citizen, but it is a requirement for male to pass a speak, listening, reading and writing in Chinese exam, to become a citizen, and the main reason is because Taiwan have a 1 1/2 year compsery military service for all male and that applies to immagrants too and Taiwanese defense force communicate in Chinese.  Although base on what I know, most male that migrat to Taiwan choose to only take up Perminent Residency, because they don't want to go into the army, unless they want and need to become a citizen to get the rest of his family into the country.

5. dabeaner profile image57
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

No.  To ensure the further decline of the U.S. freedom, to increase their wealth, power, and control, the U.S. rulers want an increasingly stupid and illiterate populace.  They want a populace with no stake in the U.S. other than welfare.  Letting them hang on to their own failed cultures by not learning the language means divisiveness maintained. (Divide and conquer.)

(Keep in mind that no matter how poor a populace is, the rulers still have their ranches/compounds/retreats, air-conditioned limos and offices, peon paid-for security, "interns", private aircraft, etc.)

6. Zornberg profile image51
    Zornbergposted 7 years ago

I did some research.  One of the 9 requirements for citizenship is that the person must be able to read, write and speak basic English.

working