jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Can a person be deemed a racist against their own people?

1. cindybarrymore profile image59
    cindybarrymoreposted 7 years ago

Can a person be deemed a racist against their own people?

If so, name some examples in history. Okay - nice: Glenn pulls back on calling Obama a racist. Last year, Beck said that Obama “has a deep-seated hatred for white people" (http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010 … php?ref=tn). I didn’t ever believe Beck's statement. So this would mean Obama hates his white mother and his white grandparents, who raised him: Right (rhetorical question, by the way, but if you want to answer it, that's fine)?

2. profile image46
    Noondaysnailposted 7 years ago

I always thought that it depends on the parties involved. Racism is one of those intamate questions made public. Gotta feel bad for public figures sometimes. I don't feel any hate coming from Obama. Maybe they are confusing poverty with race.

3. cindybarrymore profile image59
    cindybarrymoreposted 7 years ago

Hi Noondaysnail: this wasn't really an Obama question though. I only gave him as an example. The question is whether a person a person can be considered a racist against their own people.

4. profile image0
    DoItForHerposted 7 years ago

Absolutely! As a single male parent, I've had extreme prejudice from male police officers, teachers, etc. who say they support equal parenting. Some even lament on how they wish their dad was in their lives when they were little. Unfortunately, males, like their female counterparts, overwhelmingly favor moms unless the circumstances are dire.

My example isn't about black people or Mexicans or gay people or religious people or any of the more popular repressed groups, but it is still discrimination.

1. EdSaterstad profile image93
      EdSaterstadposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I disagree, it is not about discrimination. It is about racism. There is a big difference between feeling your race is superior and discriminating against a group of people.

5. webspider20 profile image59
    webspider20posted 7 years ago

Sure they can, just think about what gays go through. Many people are racist against that lifestyle and that is just wrong.

1. EdSaterstad profile image93
      EdSaterstadposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I don't think Gay is a race. They have been discriminated against for their lifestyle not their race.

6. profile image48
    llabesab1234posted 7 years ago

It depends.  In Obama's case, he's only half Black and only half White.  He can, therefore, hate everybody, and the way he talks about this country, while abroad, is proof positive that he hates ALL Americans--White, Black, Brown, Red, Yellow.

7. LeeWalls profile image58
    LeeWallsposted 7 years ago

Yes. I've heard many say that she has good hair or bad hair. Or they through the line that one is lighter than the other. That's racism.

8. Joe Winfield profile image54
    Joe Winfieldposted 6 years ago

Yes!
    That is actually very common, and in my opinion quite sad.
    From a psychological stand point I am sure there are reasons and perhaps therapeutic methods to help people like this. Or maybe it's just pure ignorance that makes a person hate their own race, just like the pure ignorance that makes people hate other races.

9. EdSaterstad profile image93
    EdSaterstadposted 4 years ago

This depends on how you are defining racism. The actual definition of racism is to feel that your race is superior than others. You can not believe that your race is superior to itself. You can be discriminatory against your own race and make negative generalizations about your own race - these things are often viewed by society as racism, instead of the actual meaning of the word.

In your example you give a person that is of 'mixed race' (but who among us is not). In Mexico there is racial discrimination equal to or exceeding what you would find in North America. The discrimination is said to be from the light skinned Mexicans towards the dark skinned Mexicans. I am not sure what makes a Mexican more or less light skinned, but this divide exists among people thought to be of the same race.

If your race is mixed, you could feel that one race is superior to the other. In that example of Obama, he would feel that black people are superior to white people (I am not saying I believe he is this way, I am just using the example you gave). If so he is racist, but in turn believes himself to be a mix of a superior and inferior race.

working