jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do we have anything to fear from the radical right?

1. steve8miller profile image80
    steve8millerposted 7 years ago

Do we have anything to fear from the radical right?

Do we have anything to fear from the radical right if they do not get power in the upcoming elections?

2. TeaPartyCrasher profile image71
    TeaPartyCrasherposted 7 years ago

Only from their fringes.

But we also need to look at what we need to fear should they take even a modicum of power in these elections.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

The very expression used: 'radical' infers that there's something not right with extremism.   Whether it be radical right (ultra conservative, turn back the clock to 1850) or radical left (go back to the heights of the Bolshevist Revolution) there is always something wrong with political extremists.   That is why the vast majority of people fall somewhere between the two.

Despite the cycnism, most people are pretty shrewd judges of how they like to see their country being run.   If it is being run really badly, there are big (and I mean big, not 'rent a crowd') demonstrations in the streets like, for example, the world-wide protests against the War in Vietnam in the late 1960s early 70s.

Of course, a nation's people need remain vigilant, and not timid in coming forward if they see extremism beginning to take over - in any form - for as we know, in America and in all truly democratic countries for that matter, it's government of the people, by the people, for the people, which will provide the most freedom.

4. MickS profile image69
    MickSposted 7 years ago

We always have something to fear from extremism, wherever it is found, of whatever religion, and of whatever political stripe.

5. Jason R. Manning profile image85
    Jason R. Manningposted 7 years ago

It is very interesting that some here are afraid to have pro-Christian, small government supporting politicians in office.  It is okay that pro-expansionist government politicians like Ted Kennedy, Barbara Boxer, Diane Feinstein, Howard Dean, John Kerry, Robert Byrd, Charley Rengal and Dodd have been contributing for 20+ years to your whims.  It’s only okay when the shoe is on your ideological side.  That’s worked out well for California…

yep...I expected to be voted down.

6. Wayne Brown profile image85
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

Is there anything you fear from the "radical left"?  I asked that because the use of the term "radical" could imply drastic behavior of any form.  Personally, anything "fanatical" scares the hell out of me or irritates me to death.  If you are fanatical about tennis...keep it to yourself, no one else wants to hear it. Hitler was a fanatical radical as are most of the nut dictators who have marked world history.  If the radical liberal left gains control then government may control every decision and activity in your life along with taking and redistributing your assets.  If the radical conservative right should gain total control then the laws you live under may be legislated by the Church rather than a democratic governing body.  Neither concept is a solution that is viable to the American way...they just happen to continue to spawn in our society with a minority of folks who make more noise than the silent majority that really believes in everything but fanaticism.  WB

working