jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

how do you explain the concept of poverty

1. profile image45
    bright11posted 7 years ago

how do you explain the concept of poverty

i want to know what o say whe i am asked to explain the concepts of poverty

2. rachellrobinson profile image81
    rachellrobinsonposted 7 years ago

Poverty is based on a set of standards, for some if you make less then 50,000 a year then that is Poverty, for others it is 25,000. That is in the US at least, Poverty in other countries can be based on a much lower income.

3. bloominglily profile image60
    bloominglilyposted 7 years ago

You can't live as comfortably as you used to.

4. m920621m profile image76
    m920621mposted 7 years ago

Poverty is just a state of mind. It's not the lack of money, it's just a thought that you're lacking it.

5. someonewhoknows profile image75
    someonewhoknowsposted 7 years ago

Poverty !

Po - no money !

ver - no homey !

ty   - no honey !

P - eople
    O - on
    V - irtual 
    E - nergy
    R - eally
    T - ax
    Y - ou

6. Wayne Brown profile image85
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

Poverty is relative and it also is real.  I say it is relative because we have elected to establish a means by which to measure it...essentially a baseline based on the economics of our society.  In that baseline our government has established an annual level of income that is required to sustain a reasonable level of subsistance.  In essence, the amount of money required to keep a roof over our head, food in our stomach, and a ride to work, etc. The real aspect of it is one that is more attuned to the emotional impact of lacking the funds to sustain ourselves.  In the relative sense, I may not be as well off as my neighbor and in his eyes, he may consider me to be living in poverty as I am existing at a level that he would not care for in his life.  In a real sense, I may not feel that I am deprived at all because my values are different from his.  The irony of it all is that "Poverty" can be a label which helps to focus assistance to those truly in need or it can be a label that simply stimulates the fires of class envy in our society.  It is all a function of how it is employed.  WB

working