jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you think what Juan Williams said was wrong?

1. eculligan profile image73
    eculliganposted 7 years ago

Do you think what Juan Williams said was wrong?

I feel the exact same way as Juan and I appreciate the fact that he enough guts to come out and say it.  There is no reason he should have been fired for that.  What do you think?

2. profile image54
    SpaceAgeposted 7 years ago

I never heard of Juan Williams, so I don't know anything about him or what he said.

3. Ari Lamstein profile image80
    Ari Lamsteinposted 7 years ago

I know that Juan Williams is an announcer for NPR and Fox News (I think...) - I've definitely heard him before.  And I think that he was recently fired for saying something that some people thought was racist, but it would be really helpful if you provided a link to the details.  You are allowed to post an answer to your own question, so you can provide the details there.

4. profile image0
    RyanKekoufski09posted 7 years ago

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't he get fired from NPR for saying that he gets worried when he sees Muslims when he's on an airplane?  Stuff like that should be kept private in my opinion, no need to say that out loud in public.

5. justom profile image69
    justomposted 7 years ago

Uh oh, I totally agree with you on this. It's bull*hit when you can't have an opinion about something without being fired. I will say though I don't really agree about when seeing them in muslim garb would worry me. I worry about the ones you don't even notice.

6. cascoly profile image60
    cascolyposted 7 years ago

after thinking about this for some time, my conclusion is that Williams shouldn't have put himself in this position -- on NPR he's a reporter and analyst, and needs to present as impartial;  on Fox he's giving his opinion, which is a different function.

the difference is still significant, and news organizations with high standards like NPR need to take these actions.  the NY Times, eg uses different print styles - normal margins for news, left justified columns for analysis, with separate, clearly marked pages for opinion.   

Overall, it looks like everything worked out ok, and WIlliams will be able to continue to function as a liberal voice on FOX, fwiw -- WIlliams' actual statement is another question entirely with which you can disagree

steve

Closed to reply

working